Still squeaky windshield.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 03:32 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Still squeaky windshield.

Replaced the windshield over a year ago. Started to squeak. Did ice wax and the Porsche 996 rope. Still squeaks. Any suggestions?
Old 09-05-2015, 03:37 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Crack the sunroof, see if it stops. Mine was the sunroof seal felt wore off, caused the creak.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:17 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

The squeak is by the Dashboard. Nowhere near sunroof, thx.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:25 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 238 Posts

The only sure fix is to remove the foam and trim seal and do the urethane fill procedure that we've discussed here for years. Not hard to do but not really reversible if you need a ws replaced.

I used 3M ribbon window weld which is reversible for the front ws and urethane for the rear. Both to fill the cavities for water and stop the squeaking.

Look for a post by me in the last year about the Window Weld for the front ws or email me.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:27 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 238 Posts

By the way if you replaced the ws you may want to install the Clearplex protection. I did and am very satisfied. May save a ws replacement some day.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:46 PM
Pr William
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what worked for me. I bought my car back in February and the windshield creaked so bad on the test drive it was almost a deal breaker because neither the seller or me knew why the dashboard had such a bad noise. I use this product because it does not harm the rubber gasket. In fact, it is a rubber conditioner so it restores it. I apply with a syringe I bought from a marine store. I use a plastic putty knife to lift the windshield rubber as I run along the entire length of it, while trailing with syringe and dispensing at the same time. The product is clear and any excess will ooze out from beneath the seal. I did this in Mar and so far, still so good! Zymol is a high end car care product and I was told not to use any petroleum or solvent based product on the rubber.

Name:  IMG_0578.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  149.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0579.jpg
Views: 1358
Size:  192.6 KB
Old 09-10-2015, 05:21 PM
gristle101
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a front strut tower brace and that probably reduced the squeak by a factor of 10. It was an added bonus to the mod.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Has anyone noticed the squeaks are intermittent?

Mine windshield was replaced many years ago, some periods I can go for months not hearing anything, then randomly certain days it's quite obvious.

I've installed the strut brace too, which I guess did somewhat help.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:48 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Fister has a great product to reduce the windshield squeak.

It's called Fister Stage III mufflers!
Old 09-11-2015, 08:58 AM
Dplus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a strange creak I thought was the windshield. Turned out to be the door seal on the driver's side. The door jamb area where that fragile little end cap with the single screw in the middle is, is much tighter than the passenger side on my car. I put a small dab of grease where the end cap and seal meet and it went away. Charm of a hand-built car.

D.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:20 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

There's nothing that annoys me more than squeaks and rattles. I've spent too many hours researching and trying different solutions to reproduce and then fix squeaks in all my cars. In my experience, there's no silver bullet and you have to be persistent and a little insane. Even then, you have to know when to just suck it up and live with the occasional noise.

Fixing squeaks is pretty easy once the source is found. I typically clean the surfaces, assuming the surfaces were designed not to squeak when new, like rubber on metal/glass. Failing that, I'll lube it (oils for hinges, springs, 303 for interior or weatherstripping, ice wax for the really difficult spots, talcum powder for leather-on-leather). If all else fails, I'll bust out the 3M squeak tape sourced from amazon. This stuff is perfect for metal-on-metal spots like where clips are used to attach interior trim bits.

While fixing is easy, reproducing squeaks can be very, very hard. In some cases, you need the right mix of vibration and temperature. I'd find a road near your garage that you can use to A/B different solutions and plan on a lot of trial and error. Also, find a willing assistant to drive your car that won't think you're too crazy for doing this.

All and all, I'm still learning and have yet to address the creaking in my passenger window when it's rolled all the way up, or the developing creak in my roof on really hot days. First world problems, for sure.
The following users liked this post:
N8tive (10-02-2021)
Old 09-11-2015, 03:21 PM
bruce7
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dplus
I had a strange creak I thought was the windshield. Turned out to be the door seal on the driver's side. The door jamb area where that fragile little end cap with the single screw in the middle is, is much tighter than the passenger side on my car. I put a small dab of grease where the end cap and seal meet and it went away. Charm of a hand-built car.

D.
Check this out, it may be what you're describing:

The door trim piece can be adjusted fore and aft. I had a squeak due to a
body shop misadjusting the trim fully forward. See the arrow in the picture
below. Loosen the bracket and move it back. There should be a gap between
the trim and the dash when the door is closed.

-bruce

Old 09-11-2015, 03:49 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by mpruden
There's nothing that annoys me more than squeaks and rattles. I've spent too many hours researching and trying different solutions to reproduce and then fix squeaks in all my cars. In my experience, there's no silver bullet and you have to be persistent and a little insane.

If all else fails, I'll bust out the 3M squeak tape sourced from amazon. This stuff is perfect for metal-on-metal spots like where clips are used to attach interior trim bits.

While fixing is easy, reproducing squeaks can be very, very hard. In some cases, you need the right mix of vibration and temperature. I'd find a road near your garage that you can use to A/B different solutions and plan on a lot of trial and error. Also, find a willing assistant to drive your car that won't think you're too crazy for doing this.
My goodness Mpruden, we are cut from the same cloth.

Thanks for the tip on 3M squeak tape. My assistant (my wife) goes nuts when I start to go nuts about the squeaks --- she tolerates my insanity. :-)
Old 09-24-2015, 08:39 PM
Dplus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce7
Check this out, it may be what you're describing:

The door trim piece can be adjusted fore and aft. I had a squeak due to a
body shop misadjusting the trim fully forward. See the arrow in the picture
below. Loosen the bracket and move it back. There should be a gap between
the trim and the dash when the door is closed.

-bruce

Thanks for that!

D.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:54 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine is def the front windshield.

Quick Reply: Still squeaky windshield.