Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Redoing my grey interior to break up the monotony of all-grey all the time

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 07:01 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Redoing my grey interior to break up the monotony of all-grey all the time

I have an all-grey-all-the-time interior. This is paired with an Av green exterior. I love the exterior color. I like the IDEA of a grey interior (all business, very serious) but I'm not too fond of the execution. It is very vinyl and all the textures are all the same grey with not a hint of color contrast.

Here is my interior: All business -

I am thinking of redoing the interior with leather, and accenting some subtle interior bits with a dark green to "match" the exterior color. For instance, I would recover the dash with leather, but use a dark green thread to do the seams. Also, I would think about redoing just the tachometer face to a dark green.

I am thinking about the door panels and they are currently very drab and very grey. In particular, I find that the inserts are very boring on the 993s --- they lost some of the textural interest of the 964 with the seams. Wondering what people think of this idea :

I would also redo the seats to be almost identical to this, except use green thread for the stitching:

Here is a picture of that same "porsche" patterned leather on a 928 panel:

Here is a picture of a 964 door panel insert with the textural contrast that the 993 is missing --- Notice how the edges of the "mini tufts" catch light in a different way -

Hoping to solicit others' opinions!

Thank you.

BTW here is a pic of the exterior:

Last edited by Jlaa; 09-07-2015 at 07:04 PM. Reason: added picture of exterior
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (06-04-2023)
Old 09-07-2015, 07:24 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

That's gonna be great! Are you going to retain the arcing pattern of the 993 seats or go straight across like the 928?

And I really need to do those footwell lights! Thanks for posting the DIY in your sig!
Old 09-07-2015, 07:53 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 583 Likes on 370 Posts

That looks like it is going to look great. I will look forward to updates.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:15 PM
ichibum9
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry for what might be a dumb question. how "porsche" placed on the material? is it leather and stitched or embossed? if it is vinyl are you worried about it wearing off?

good luck with the project.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:33 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Jlaa - it's official. You're nuts. Go for it.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:50 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't like the PorschePorschePorschePorsche fabric/leather at all. That 928 looks hideous inside, like some Louis Vitton Purse or similar that a Kardashian would carry (ugh, kill me now for making a reference to that family of Oxygen Thieves...). It's really the "Wow, I wouldn't have known this was a Porsche, but now that you point it out 1000 times in the interior, I think I got it", that gets me. OK, so you now get that I hate overdoing logos... Just my opinion, YMMV...

Not a fan of the 928 seats, either....too Ferrari looking.

I do like the 964 door texture a bit (I miss my '86), and applaud the idea of adding some color, as the grey interior is a bit bland in its stock form. You might do a mockup in Photoshop on that door...I think it will look good. Not sure about piping around it....thinking that might back date it a bit.

Maybe just me, but that last pic makes the car look like Midnight Blue, not Aventurine. Its such a cool, chameleon color, constantly changing with the light.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:37 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Thanks for all your feedback guys. Adding the footwell lights was my first attempt and improving the interior ambience. It has helped tremendously as it added a layer of lighting, but now I am looking for more.

The PorschePorschePorschePosrche really is polarizing isn't it? My inner self fears it would be a bit much. I love it on the 928 seats (it is laser etched onto the leather --- just shy of burnt) but I am as well afraid that the PorschePorschePorschePorsche might be too much on the door panel inserts. At the same time --- I appreciate the feedback on the piping being a bit too "back dated".

BTW yes, aventurine seems to rely a lot on reflection to give off an impression of its color --- that day was a sunny day with blue skies, hence the bluish shot.

Here is what I wrestle with --- should the insert be "different" or should the base-panel be "different"?

Here is some food for thought ---- in the example, the "insert" and the "base panel" are made of the same material, but the insert is "tufted" with stitching making for interesting textural contrast ---- (I'm not sure about the diamonds though --- there are no other diamonds on the car ---- maybe wide rectangles or diagonal rectangles like in the 964 or or or .... ) --- note the piping here is intriguing ----

BTW here is a pic of a certain illustrious reenlister's Marble/Classic grey interior. Perhaps since I have an all classic grey interior, the insert wants to be marble.... thoughts, thoughts .....

Yours in being nuts,
jlaa
Old 09-08-2015, 01:55 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

This will not come our well. it will be way too busy for one and will get boring after a while.

What I did with my own Aventurine car with Marble Grey interior is simply added more black. Black door panel, black front seats, black carpet mats, black center console. Dash and steering wheel were already black. Then, if you feel like it, you might add some green accents The problem is that none of the greens will really match aventurin and those that try (BRG, for example), will melt into black.

I would also suggest against anything but the most subtle patterns and certainly no wording of any kind If needed, supplement with brushed aluminum accents which are readily available - door pulls, instrument rings, shifter, e-brake handle.

PS. I have some classic gray goor pieces that I can let go cheap if you want to experiment before destroying yours. But, again, in a 993 less is definitely more.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:40 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlaa
Thanks for all your feedback guys.
Here is what I wrestle with --- should the insert be "different" or should the base-panel be "different"?
(I'm not sure about the diamonds though
Yours in being nuts,
jlaa
Shewwww, I re-read my post and it was a bit hard on your ideas, so glad you took it as constructive feedback.

I have seen some nice stuff when the insert panel is a different color. Do some mockups with black, green, or another grey using some color paper (or spray paint some paper) and tape it on. I think a mockup will go a long way to helping you decide what looks "right". Then get Nile13's spare panels and some Surflex...

Nuts is right with RL993...
Old 09-08-2015, 02:57 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Sureflex or other color dye is a good idea before going to leather implementation with nice stitching is you are so inclined. But be careful and live with whatever you do for a while, like a few months, before spending major money.

I just don't think that the character of these cars, or any German car for that matter, jives well with assorted pleated, fancy stitched and multi-colored schemes. British cars - yes. Italian cas - some. German cars - not so much. It's all function and a little bit of form, and the form is very austere and Teutonic. Even if Porsche allows themselves to do some playful exterior colors once in a while.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:05 AM
ichibum9
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about mixing textures?

https://studiotns.files.wordpress.co...d_interior.jpg

I think how this was broken up looks pretty good and would have a similar effect with a more subtle fabric.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:27 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

I'll be following this thread. In the same process of adding a bit of contrast to the grey interior. Mine is the mixed black and grey. Just received the back seats in black. And I have 996gt3 buckets in the front. Is it hard to swap out the rear seats in these cars?
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2015, 04:29 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Sorry OP for bad pictures.
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2015, 07:56 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You want ur car to look like that 928?!
Old 09-08-2015, 09:00 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

honestly, i hate grey interiors, but yours is fine. I think your plan will result in a lot of money spent with a very bad result, and it will basically be unsellable. If thats really what you want, then have at it, but I'd tread carefully.

Quick Reply: Redoing my grey interior to break up the monotony of all-grey all the time