Sponsored by: DashLynx

993 on the Nordschleife

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 10:56 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 405
Great looking car and nice video..looks at home on the track. Which wing setup is that? Wonder if it would work on the rs clubsport wing..

Would love to hear more of the mods on this car
Thanks! The tail base and the banana wing are from a 993 GT2 EVO, I believe the banana wing was also used on some RSRs.

Besides the RSR flares, the wing and the cage, the car was pretty much stock when I got it. Since then I've put in proper safety gear (belts, extinguisher, main switch etc.), Moton clubsport shocks, monoball upper mounts, RS uprights, RS tierod ends, RS sway bars, motorsport hubs with centerlock. Otherwise it's all stock.
I am running 305/30/18 in rear and 265/35/18 in front.
Car has papers for racing (I've done two races this summer in the Finnish Porsche sports cup series) and at the moment we are in process of getting german racing papers for it (wagenpass). Plan is to race it on the ring on 25.10.

Originally Posted by Chuckthetruck
Cool
Looks a bit more hardcore than mine.

Betting on the shifter is this one (or similar): http://www.shop.cae-racing.de/index.php?a=158&lang=eng
Thanks! your's look great too! There was another norwegian 993 at the ring last weekend. White car with RS body and Teichman racing decals.

The shifter is indeed the CAE shifter. I love it! In fact I love it so much I bought one for my CUP car too...

https://vimeo.com/138435613
Old 09-15-2015, 12:47 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

For a second I thought the white one was another TT prepped for track. Thanks for share
Old 09-15-2015, 02:09 PM
Chuckthetruck
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
Thanks! your's look great too! There was another norwegian 993 at the ring last weekend. White car with RS body and Teichman racing decals.
Thanks!
Haven't see that one, but I know there's a Norwegian blue/purple 993 C2 with full RS body, rollcage ++ there often, he have a garage there, so the car stays there all year.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:45 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Holy Mother of Blessed Engine Howl!

Lovely bit o' driving, Juha.

Andreas
Old 09-15-2015, 02:53 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuckthetruck
Thanks!
Haven't see that one, but I know there's a Norwegian blue/purple 993 C2 with full RS body, rollcage ++ there often, he have a garage there, so the car stays there all year.
Here's the one I'm talking about. Photo taken at Brünchen.
Attached Images  
Old 09-15-2015, 03:19 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Moton clubsport shocks, monoball upper mounts, RS uprights, RS tierod ends, RS sway bars, motorsport hubs with centerlock. Otherwise it's all stock.

https://vimeo.com/138435613
Juha - thanks for sharing. Awesome video and drive. I was wondering if you can share a bit on how you have the suspension set up? At least from what I can see in the video your car looks pretty stable. I have a very similar setup to yours (the Motons and all the RS bits and ride height, etc.). I have been trying to deal with a very twitchy rear end and have been adjusting everything (sways, camber, damping, rebound and tire pressures) to try and get more bite. My car is just too tail happy for my taste (and blood pressure given a couple of close calls this summer). Can you share alignment, sway bar settings, Moton settings (damping/rebound) etc? Thanks!

p.s. Also have a Guard 40/60 LSD in the car which has helped considerably under braking.

Matt

Last edited by mgerber; 09-15-2015 at 03:45 PM. Reason: addition
Old 09-15-2015, 04:25 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Keep the videos coming, always fun to watch.

As always smooth hands, no drama inside of cockpit, good luck with 25.10 race, have fun and be safe out there!

Old 09-16-2015, 03:23 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgerber
Juha - thanks for sharing. Awesome video and drive. I was wondering if you can share a bit on how you have the suspension set up? At least from what I can see in the video your car looks pretty stable. I have a very similar setup to yours (the Motons and all the RS bits and ride height, etc.). I have been trying to deal with a very twitchy rear end and have been adjusting everything (sways, camber, damping, rebound and tire pressures) to try and get more bite. My car is just too tail happy for my taste (and blood pressure given a couple of close calls this summer). Can you share alignment, sway bar settings, Moton settings (damping/rebound) etc? Thanks!

p.s. Also have a Guard 40/60 LSD in the car which has helped considerably under braking.

Matt
Hi Matt,

The car is indeed very stable. Very confidence inspiring. I believe part of it is due to the widened track and the beefy tires (265/35/18 front 305/30/18 rear) but also the shocks play a big part in it.
I can ask for the alignment specs from the racing shop that did it (LMS racing) but they are not very aggressive. All except for the upper mounts are original carrera 2 rubber joints, including engine and transmission mounts etc....so I am not a believer of monoball everything anymore. Of course this depends on what track you drive on what tires. With slicks I'd have it all stiffer but with semis I think the stock rubber is just fine. Oh, the car has over 100k miles, still on original joints...

I also have a set of 235+265 Federal RSR tires on wheels with more aggressive offset. So the track is equally wide but there is just less rubber (and not so grippy compound). I did a couple of laps on the Nordschleife with those too and the car was equally good to drive, just less grip.

I don't know if it has any effect but the car was set at RS height with racing slicks on it. The front tires are about the same size as now but the rear slicks were much taller than the semislicks I have there now. Therefore with semis the car sits lower in the rear now. I didn't feel that the car would've been pushing but then again I only drove it on the Nordschleife with the semis and that track has very few slow/tight corners where you'd have the car pushing.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:56 AM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Matt,

The car is indeed very stable. Very confidence inspiring. I believe part of it is due to the widened track and the beefy tires (265/35/18 front 305/30/18 rear) but also the shocks play a big part in it.
I can ask for the alignment specs from the racing shop that did it (LMS racing) but they are not very aggressive. All except for the upper mounts are original carrera 2 rubber joints, including engine and transmission mounts etc....so I am not a believer of monoball everything anymore. Of course this depends on what track you drive on what tires. With slicks I'd have it all stiffer but with semis I think the stock rubber is just fine. Oh, the car has over 100k miles, still on original joints...

I also have a set of 235+265 Federal RSR tires on wheels with more aggressive offset. So the track is equally wide but there is just less rubber (and not so grippy compound). I did a couple of laps on the Nordschleife with those too and the car was equally good to drive, just less grip.

I don't know if it has any effect but the car was set at RS height with racing slicks on it. The front tires are about the same size as now but the rear slicks were much taller than the semislicks I have there now. Therefore with semis the car sits lower in the rear now. I didn't feel that the car would've been pushing but then again I only drove it on the Nordschleife with the semis and that track has very few slow/tight corners where you'd have the car pushing.
Thanks Juha. I should have realized you are running that much more tire from the pictures of the car, and that, along with the specific use/track will drive a different setup. Not a rush but if you can PM me with the setup info from your race shop that would be great just to have as another reference point.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:59 AM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Juha G;12590908]We had some fun past weekend at the Nürburgring. My 993 has been there a couple of weeks already but I haven't had a chance to go and drive it until this weekend.

Juha -

That's some smooth driving indeed.
Great skills behind the wheel, the car it's element doing what it was designed for.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:12 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

fine lap! :-)

Nice sound.

from which organizer was this event?
Old 09-17-2015, 01:13 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by koenig_roland
fine lap! :-)

Nice sound.

from which organizer was this event?
Thanks!

Car has Dansk exhaust, otherwise stock engine.

No event, it was Touristenfahrte...or as we say, terroristenfahrte...
Old 09-17-2015, 02:44 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Thanks!

Car has Dansk exhaust, otherwise stock engine.

No event, it was Touristenfahrte...or as we say, terroristenfahrte...
:-)
yeah, that`s the real description.

I usually do trackdays but will try touristenfahrten next year.

Where is your car stored at the NOS while you are not there?
Old 09-17-2015, 04:00 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by koenig_roland
:-)
yeah, that`s the real description.

I usually do trackdays but will try touristenfahrten next year.

Where is your car stored at the NOS while you are not there?
Touristenfahrten is ok at times...last weekend was quite good. On Saturday there was a lot of closures (as you'd expect) but on Sunday it was much better. Propably because of the rain.

My friend runs a race shop there so he's looking after my car. Actually prepping it for the 25.10. RCN race as we speak.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:14 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

i`m going to move from munich to frankfurt and hope, living much closer to the NOS next year than the last 10 years :-)
Perhaps, we`ll see next year at the devils dinner...

Quick Reply: 993 on the Nordschleife