Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 03:57 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Post Engine Tray/No Engine Tray ?

As of today..new member here..

I am sure there are a several threads on this, however, the dealer responded to removing the engine tray as a method of enhanced cooling as "inconsequential" and that more damage can be done by debris kicking up into engine area than by heat with tray in place.

Coin toss ?? I've seen what debris can do to a headlight and windshield..however...I can't see Porsche Engineers not designing valves being able to handle excess heat with tray in place ?

I'm all about increasing reliability, enhanced performance in the WideBody...but are there any 993'owners that can speak to this topic with factual experience on damage done vs. heat dissipation ???

Thanks,
Keith Durgin
'96 C4S Arena Red/Cashmere
'99 BMW 740i Sport
'95 VW Jetta VR6
Old 05-31-2003, 03:59 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No tray........no problems!!
Old 05-31-2003, 04:22 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Heat is an everyday occurrence, damage by road debris is bad luck. And what has been pointed out on this topic before is most cars don't have a tray covering the engine and how often have you heard of road debris damaging an engine? Me neither.

Another thought is that anything big enough to damage the engine has to pass under the front end to get to the back of the car doing plenty of damage along the way. Avoid large debris and go with the odds, remove the tray.

Though I must say that I have not noticed a significant change in the temp reading since removing the tray. My thought is that though I may not detect the change on the gage, the engine may benefit from the reduced temp.
Old 05-31-2003, 04:24 PM
993Widebody
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No tray for two years, no problem. However, the plug wires and valve covers are angled down and probably about 10-12 inches from the ground, I could imagine something flying up in there but in any event I have not really worried about it.

The other thing to think about is jacking up the car, if you do this on a semi-regular basis, it is a real PITA getting all four wheels off the ground with the engine cover in place.
Old 05-31-2003, 05:08 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by 993Widebody:
<strong>The other thing to think about is jacking up the car, if you do this on a semi-regular basis, it is a real PITA getting all four wheels off the ground with the engine cover in place.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">As you jack up each side of the rear wheels, just remove the engine tray then.
Old 05-31-2003, 05:17 PM
993Power
Instructor

The owner of my car left the Undertray on the car, a few miles later both lower valve cover gaskets started leaking, talk to Steve at Rennsport, the heat accumulated at the bottom, resulted to this. Leave it off, hey, think about it this way, if you a see a debris just swerve around it, test your reflex skills haha good luck!

chris
Old 05-31-2003, 06:28 PM
Blizzard
Instructor

No tray - no problems. Keep the heat down and the valve seals are happier.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:00 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My mechanic calls the tray the "Overheating Tray."

It can cause localized overheating that can damage valve guides but will not show up on the oil temp guage.

The factory claims the tray is for aerodynamics, but amazingly, factory race cars don't have one.
Many feel the tray's real purpose was to help the car pass strict drive-by sound level requirements in certain European countries like Switzerland.
Old 05-31-2003, 08:07 PM
993Widebody
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica"><strong>As you jack up each side of the rear wheels, just remove the engine tray then.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Like I said, it is a PITA. Plus you still have to put it back on and it doesn't go on in 30 seconds.
Old 05-31-2003, 08:32 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Keith
My car warms up faster in cold weather w/the tray on - which is a good thing. I don't need/want extra heat retention in warm weather. Therefore, my tray goes on & off w/my winter tires.

BTW, you're right - there are a number of lengthy threads on this topic.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts
Steve at Rennsport has recommended that the tray be removed to avoid excess heat. Good enough reason for me.
Old 05-31-2003, 10:29 PM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
Not to cast any doubts on the collective wisdom of all the folks in this forum much more experienced and smart than me...but...

...there are veritable storm winds going through the engine with that fan cranking major CFMs at speed. It seems difficult to believe that the cover would somehow impede or restrict the flow of air through the heads to an extent that would raise the temperature significantly. Maybe it does in extensive idling but by how much? And about the debris. I'm always surprised how much gravely stuff finds its way under the tray and other nooks and crannies of the lower engine compartment and that's for a car *not* driven in winter, rain or dirt roads.

Does anyone have any data on the temperature question. It seems all it'd take is a thermocouple in the engine heads area and a simple "A vs. B" test.

Just my .02
Old 05-31-2003, 11:16 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Or would this work for Luis's test...I have seen thermal stickers that record maximum temperatures. They stick "anywhere" and come in various heat ranges...stick on and go, with engine cover on then off.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:32 AM
pierre0911
Track Day

i took my trays off this weekend. it sounds much more porsche like. in terms of performance-- it saves 10-15 lbs. my 89 never had trays-- and never had a problem with debris. i will put them back on during the winter to keep the sluge out.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:46 AM
S3
Instructor

Never get the temp up to more than the 9 o'clock level --&gt; no temp problem so far (only street use though). Under tray weight is no concern - variation in fuel level (92 liter) counts more than under tray.

Quick Reply: Engine Tray/No Engine Tray ?