Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Has your 911 become a garage trophy that you never drive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 08:16 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

I drive mine. It is my buddy.
--Michael
Old 01-12-2016, 08:24 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
You know it's not true even here at rennlist. Many are obsessed about low miles and values. Those who are proud to be driving them are more likely to state so, except for Ken

I used to DD my 993 for errands, and then it got annoying to drive it at 30mph around town knowing what it was made for, so I take my SUV.
Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Ken (RACE911) has touched on a significant point namely, it all depends on the type of activities in which we participate. Our F150 is the family workhorse, hauling the trailer to the track, mulch to the garden, furniture, car parts, groceries, you name it. Then there's other car clubs, other hobbies and activities where a 993 just wouldn't be a good choice. Although used infrequently, the 993's are still the most enjoyable.
Hopefully my situation changes, and I'll be back at the track and being able to use street drive the 4S. I'm not selling either. Well, unless some stupidly attractive trade were to pop up.

But mainly it's about being stuck in a ____ environment here in the Bay Area. I'm surprised I haven't bent a steel wheel or two on the near 20 year old F150 I pound out the miles on. Oh yeah, then there's the people--when I was a teen with a 911 I never got a negative reaction. Now with a 996 Turbo that's actually older, relative to its production date than the '68 I had at 18? Open season for the oh-so superior class to make snide comments.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:01 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just ticked past 180,000 miles here and neither I nor the car show any signs of slowing. I bought my 911 with the intention of driving, and nothing is changing that (other than maybe needing a functional back seat at some point in my life).
Old 01-12-2016, 11:34 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Holytin
With little kids there is just not enough time anymore to get the car out. Then there are insurance requirements - pleasure drive only. That makes my car a garage queen averaging 500 miles annually, at least for the time being.
Same boat here unfortunately. We have a 2.5 year old and a 12 month old so getting out and pleasure driving is not exactly high on the priority list right now. I probably put 500 miles on the car last year but hope to do more this year.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:36 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6K per year over the past 10 years, without any breakdown or even a significant mechanical or electrical fault. I admit that I no longer take it on trips cross-state, because I'm past due for A-Significant-Failure. Makes a great grocery getter these days!

P.S. don't listen to Ken. We have the best govt and best roads here, Comrades!
Old 01-13-2016, 01:53 PM
INTMD8
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 143 Posts

Don't have one yet but specifically searching for a 993 to use as a daily driver, 400 miles a week. First thing I will do is put snow tires on it.

On the other hand, I wouldn't buy a perfect 10k mile car to do this with either so I understand the mentality of keeping pristine, pristine.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:56 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

21 years ago, I used to use my first 911 (an 83SC) as a daily driver every day year round - including hauling kids, etc. After 7 years I moved to the 993 Targa, and it gradually went from daily driver to occasional daily driver, mostly due to friggn' traffic and the kids growing. Changed jobs that required a truck, so the 993 went to weekend driver. Changed jobs again, started to work from home, and the 993 was driven even less. I then sold the Targa after 11 years and bought the 993TT (4 years ago..) and continued the same pattern...

and then the values went up, up, up ...

and now drive it on nice days when I can get a longer drive out of the city, or occasionally a short drive during the week when I get the itch. The values definitely impacted my usage pattern, but it was already changing anyways ...

The 993TT definitely has become more of a special occasion car (and it is a special car!), but that is fine. In the city, the 993 is a sh**ty city car, it's too low, traffic requires lots of clutch work, and there is the constant worry about tailgaters and being cut off, nevermind shrinking parking stalls. I do not have that worry in my truck, so the 993 is used for open roads and good times, the truck is my beater.

I am doing about 2000 - 3000 miles/year now, with one or two longer trips that adds the majority of the miles. When I retire soon, that might go up, hopefully some longer road trips ....

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-13-2016, 04:55 PM
trouserless
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 1996 C2 a few years ago and am putting about 8K miles/year (daily driver when salt is not on the road and any road trip I can dream up). Currently at 125K on the odo - and I don't plan to change this driving habit. As many have mentioned before, I bought high mileage so I wouldn't worry about it (too much).

And of course this is a killer track and autoX car too - well beyond my skill level without mods. The plan has been to drive, race, maintain and repair indefinitely.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:58 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Hell No

mine will never be a garage trophy, as it was purchased as a young boy's dream car to be driven and enjoyed (it's not a painting, stamp, or a coin). it's not a special model, RS or GT, so although it has appreciated over the last few years, the mark up has not reached insane levels like the aforementioned. i bought the car for ME not the next owner.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:53 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
Every drive should not have to be an "event".
OP, the day driving my P cars no longer becomes an event is the day they will go up for sale.

I've noticed you have posted this topic in two different forums.

Which model of P car do you own?

Quad called it.

Very strange first post.

So what's the deal?

No avatar, no signature, no location, no membership, never a post letting us know what you drive......

I think I know.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:53 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has been going out less and less for daily drives, but I am still trying to get it out to the track when I can... I just feel more guilty now than before. I am also not progressing as a driver because I am not willing to push the car (or myself) to it's limits. I KNOW I would cry if I put my 993 in the dirt...
My wife and I go for drives on cool weekend mornings, the lack of air conditioning (been broken for 7+ years) requires temperatures below 75 degrees or we will take the Jetta.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:00 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep
Old 01-13-2016, 11:11 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

With kids aged 5 and 9 the 993tt is great. They love being picked up in school every now and then in that car. And we take it out on the weekends. My wife loves driving it to.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:28 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Cemoto
Which model of P car do you own?
'86 Carrera. NY.

Figured the theme may apply to more than one air cooled brand.
With 3 pages of posts, that appears correct.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:10 AM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Bought mine 6 years ago and it has been my daily driver from April - December ever since. I get out for a 3 day driving trip with my buddy who has an '86 cab and I go to 3 AX and one DE a year.

Still I only put 4-5,000 miles a year (I live close to work).

Through Rennlist I have found parts and guidance to tackle some simple DIY's. I enjoy planning and tinkering as much as driving.

Quick Reply: Has your 911 become a garage trophy that you never drive?