Sponsored by: DashLynx

rothsport Oil check valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 03:55 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 108 Posts
Default rothsport Oil check valve

Want to install this mod and felt it was prudent at the same time to change the oil line that this device is installed with. Anyone know the part number on the oil line?
Old 03-10-2016, 07:31 PM
quacktoduck
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

interesting. it says that its ideal for cars that sit long. im wondering how it installs as well.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:25 PM
EGreen
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Inlet Check Valve

Thank you for your interest. Please send an email (info at rothsport dot com) or call 5o3.822.5o61 and we will send you the instructions.

Thanks... Earl
Rothsport Racing
Old 03-10-2016, 08:38 PM
teddysam1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious......what is the benefit of this check valve? Is there a down side to the valve?
Old 03-11-2016, 12:06 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

This has been discussed before...

Selling hype, or upside, is that it keeps oil from entering the cylinders, so if your car has been sitting, it prevents the smoking during startup.

Downside however, as pointed out in previous discussion, most would want oil in the cylinders during long periods of sitting to help mitigate the effects of a dry startup and rings scoring cylinder walls.

Not that its worth anything, but I tend to agree with the latter.

Additionally, a check valve is one of the simplest valve designs EVER! I sourced the same type of oil check valves with the same or greater flow rate at hotrod shops for $50.

Last edited by nine9six; 03-11-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:17 PM
pojefferson
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for objective POV as well

I came across the Rothsport oil inlet check valve today in May Panorama. I have an old 911 that sits more than is driven, and I am very familiar with the symptom. I was also wondering:

1. does it really work?
2. are there any risks; i.e. valve fails and starves the engine of oil?
3. is the design really so unique/special, that $300 is a fair price?

Philip
Old 05-22-2016, 02:39 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by pojefferson
I came across the Rothsport oil inlet check valve today in May Panorama. I have an old 911 that sits more than is driven, and I am very familiar with the symptom. I was also wondering:

1. does it really work?

Philip
1. It stops the unabated flow of oil when sitting/off. If this is what you want to occur, then yes, it works.
Downside however, as pointed out in previous discussion, most would want oil in the cylinders during long periods of sitting to help mitigate the effects of a dry startup and rings scoring cylinder walls.

2. No risks...As an ex-valve and pump mechanic/machinist, if a stop-ckeck valve fails, it fails in the open position. (as if the valve were not installed).

3. IMHO...NO WAY, NO HOW! But if it is a Porsche aftermarket part sold by Rothsport, and backed by Rennsport, why should there not be a 500% profit margin?
Old 05-22-2016, 08:12 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
3. IMHO...NO WAY, NO HOW! But if it is a Porsche aftermarket part sold by Rothsport, and backed by Rennsport, why should there not be a 500% profit margin?
Would you care to please clarify your statement???

I see several errors here, however I'd like some clarification before I jump in.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:18 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by pojefferson

1. does it really work?

Philip
Hi Phillip,

Please send me an email and I would happy to explain all this for you.

FWIW, I neither manufacture nor sell this item, but its very well designed and it does work.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:28 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

When is the last time you took on the sweat equity, expense, and risk to develop and market a product? You seem to spend an inordinate amount of your time here criticizing others. Clearly you have some expertise in the area, so why not stick to helping people here - as is the Rennlist vibe - as opposed to slagging product designed and sold by people who have given a TON of their free time to the Porsche community.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:38 PM
nine9six
Banned

(
Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Would you care to please clarify your statement???

I see several errors here, however I'd like some clarification before I jump in.
FWIW, I neither manufacture nor sell this item, but its very well designed and it does work.
...and nobody said you manufactured or sold this item. And no one said it did not work. (shuts off oil flow)
PM sent regarding any clarification you may feel is needed.

and backed by Rennsport
"Backed" does not indicate nor imply the item is mfg. or sold by Rennsport Systems; but Steve you are on record for touting the wonders of this ultra simple valve.

All I have ever stated or implied is the valve is ultra simple and the price point is astonomical for what you get. There are MUCH more cost effective alternatives, and that is what a discussion forum is for.

And Matt, I sent you a PM, because you simply dont get it, and I dont feel like going off topic to explain the basics of a check valve function. How about you do some homework on components, along with cost effective sourcing of a component that has been in existence for most likely centuries.

As far as helping people goes; you can lead a horse to water...and how are my comments not helping in cost effective alternatives? Hmm?

Uninformed people thought Bernie Madoff provided a great product too. Then someone hurt all the investors by pulling back the curtain. Now that sounds logical, doesn't it! YIKES!

Last edited by nine9six; 05-23-2016 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:01 AM
nine9six
Banned

This has been discussed before...

Selling hype, or upside, is that it keeps oil from entering the cylinders, so if your car has been sitting, it prevents the smoking during startup. IS THIS UNTRUE?

Downside however, as pointed out in previous discussion, most would want oil in the cylinders during long periods of sitting to help mitigate the effects of a dry startup and rings scoring cylinder walls. IS THIS UNTRUE?

Not that its worth anything, but I tend to agree with the latter. OPINION

Additionally, a check valve is one of the simplest valve designs EVER! I sourced the same type of oil check valves with the same or greater flow rate at hotrod shops for $50. IS THIS UNTRUE? see previous RL discussion
Edited for clarification and example. Not a replacement for the Rothsport offering.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/238...FVNqfgodQZ8Dgw
Attached Images  

Last edited by nine9six; 05-23-2016 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:10 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
You seem to spend an inordinate amount of your time here criticizing others.
+1. He is one of the primary reasons the 993 board needs far better moderation.

...and nobody said you manufactured or sold this item. And no one said it did not work. (shuts off oil flow)
PM sent regarding any clarification you may feel is needed.

"Backed" does not indicate nor imply the item is mfg. or sold by Rennsport Systems; but Steve you are on record for touting the wonders of this ultra simple valve.

All I have ever stated or implied is the valve is ultra simple and the price point is astonomical for what you get. There are MUCH more cost effective alternatives, and that is what a discussion forum is for.

And Matt, I sent you a PM, because you simply dont get it, and I dont feel like going off topic to explain the basics of a check valve function. How about you do some homework on components, along with cost effective sourcing of a component that has been in existence for most likely centuries.

As far as helping people goes; you can lead a horse to water...and how are my comments not helping in cost effective alternatives? Hmm?

Uninformed people thought Bernie Madoff provided a great product too. Then someone hurt all the investors by pulling back the curtain. Now that sounds logical, doesn't it! YIKES!
Old 05-23-2016, 10:25 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
+2 And it isn't just the smarmy, trollish attitude and the constant attacks and critiques -- it's that he doesn't know much about cars. It'd be sort of tolerable if the guy knew what he was talking about. But sadly he just enjoys the sound of his own typing.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:29 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Yup.

Originally Posted by NP993
+2 And it isn't just the smarmy, trollish attitude and the constant attacks and critiques -- it's that he doesn't know much about cars. It'd be sort of tolerable if the guy knew what he was talking about. But sadly he just enjoys the sound of his own typing.
Again, yup.

Yes, you can buy chevy or champagne parts that perform the same function at different prices - no debate there. The market decides the relative success of either approach.

I have been the recipient of his unmitigated vitriol via a completely unprovoked personal attack before and shrugged it off. But when he goes after some really good guys who have contributed a ton to the Porsche community at large, well, that's just unacceptable in the context of this forum.

I'm not going to engage him directly anymore. Pigs, mud, and all that. I'm sure there's an applicable quote from Mark Twain

Quick Reply: rothsport Oil check valve