Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dye job - the journey

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 06:22 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Dye job - the journey

I finally collected the tools needed to start this job. I'll share my progress and pics here. Maybe it will help others but more likely I'll get feedback along the way that will improve my results.

Every step I am following is based on this excellent post by autobonrun located here : http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...procedure.html

So far I have managed to get my seat out if the car and separate the top from the bottom.
Attached Images   
Old 03-19-2016, 06:25 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

I am trying to prevent headaches later so have separated all the parts into labeled baggies and took lots of dismantling pics.
Attached Images   
Old 03-19-2016, 06:28 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

For the prep work I am using Leatherique products:
- Pristine Clean
- Softening Oil
- Prepping Agent

For the dye, I am using Color Plus.

The condition of my seat is what i'd call heavily creased. No cracks but deep creases for sure.
Attached Images    
Old 03-19-2016, 08:17 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Thanks for posting these. I will be following this project with interest - I appreciate the very close-up pictures of the creases that you are attempting to rectify.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:05 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've done two sets of seats with the leatherique system. I found the best method for stripping the old dye without remove the grain in the leather is to use red scotchbrite pads saturated in the prepping agent. Takes lots of time, but I got most of the old dye off exposing raw tan leather.

If you're careful about avoiding any non leather areas, lacquer thinner on a rag will break the dye down even faster. It can't touch the vinyl portions though as it will melt it.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:57 PM
destence
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Very interesting and appropriate for me. Subscribed. Great photography.

Last edited by destence; 03-19-2016 at 10:00 PM. Reason: text.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:10 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

thx for documenting... my 993 can use this as well on its cashmere leather
Old 03-20-2016, 11:50 AM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Top-Gun
I found the best method for stripping the old dye without remove the grain in the leather is to use red scotchbrite pads saturated in the prepping agent.

If you're careful about avoiding any non leather areas, lacquer thinner on a rag will break the dye down even faster. It can't touch the vinyl portions though as it will melt it.
Thanks Top Gun - I did get two scotchbrite pads and they were very helpful. I also used 400 and 600 grit sandpaper.

My first pass with the prepping agent did remove a lot of dye. I can see that the deep creases were mostly related to the cracks in the dye and probably don't require any crack filler which I really want to avoid if possible.

From the pictures below it doesn't really look that much better than before the prepping agent application, but when I push on the leather with my thumb, it doesn't seem to fold on the old crease lines as much which I believe is a good sign regarding the condition of the leather under the dye.

I didn't get enough dye off with the prepping agent. Today I will attempt the Lacquer thinner. I will be VERY careful to about the vinyl. I'd like to tape it off but am afraid that if I use the wrong tape, I'll get some thinner that will absorb through and make contact with the vinyl and I won't notice until I peel away the tape and by then it will be too late.

Anyone have a good trick to keep the thinner away from the vinyl?
Attached Images     
Old 03-20-2016, 11:57 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 503 Likes on 346 Posts

Great posts Steven....keep them coming. I am getting for a re-dye project on my drivers seat bolster this spring and looking to learn from your posts.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:34 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Ok, just completed the Lacquer Thinner stage. It is super smelly and strong - even in a well ventilated area I was feeling a bit light headed so beware.

I have to say, I was expecting the thinner to remove enough dye to make all the creases disappear but this was not the case. You can see from the picture below of one of the rags, a lot of day did come off. I'll let this dry for the day and then do another pass with the prepping agent before applying rejuvenator oil.

Learnings so far - the 8 oz bottle of prepping agent will only last for one seat.
Attached Images     
Old 03-20-2016, 04:51 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Neither the prepping agent nor lacquer thinner will get all the old dye off. It will just look dull. It's more important not to overscrub. Tends to turn to suede, If you've applied both chemicals you're ready for the next step. Yours look like mine did just before the dye.

I took some photos in February showing the look of dyed seats after 10 years. Need to update my original thread.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:52 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good, I would keep going with another round of prepping agent/scotchbrite and thinner.

When you get the dye off to a level your happy with, coat it in rejuvenator oil and tie the seat halves up in green garbage bags. Set the bags out in the sun for a few hours. Open them up, reapply the oil, and repeat as many times as you want.

The heat really opens the pores of the leather up allowing the oil in, and the dirt out. Once you clean the oil off with the pristine clean you'll be amazed at how soft the leather is.

I would not use any of the crack repair on those seats. You'll have some creases and character even after you get the dye off, but that repair stuff looks terrible. I had one little knick in a bolster on mine where I used that filler; it sticks out like a sore thumb after the dye is applied.

If you have air at home, Princess Auto sells a small HVLP touch-up gun which works great for applying the dye. I used the leatherique dye thinned slightly with demineralized water but I'm sure the Colorplus stuff sprays equally well.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:36 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Top-Gun
Looks good, I would keep going with another round of prepping agent/scotchbrite and thinner.

When you get the dye off to a level your happy with, coat it in rejuvenator oil and tie the seat halves up in green garbage bags. Set the bags out in the sun for a few hours. Open them up, reapply the oil, and repeat as many times as you want.

The heat really opens the pores of the leather up allowing the oil in, and the dirt out. Once you clean the oil off with the pristine clean you'll be amazed at how soft the leather is.

I would not use any of the crack repair on those seats. You'll have some creases and character even after you get the dye off, but that repair stuff looks terrible. I had one little knick in a bolster on mine where I used that filler; it sticks out like a sore thumb after the dye is applied.

If you have air at home, Princess Auto sells a small HVLP touch-up gun which works great for applying the dye. I used the leatherique dye thinned slightly with demineralized water but I'm sure the Colorplus stuff sprays equally well.
I would not apply any oil to the seats after I finished the prep. The oil and cleaning gets done first. After prepping comes the dye.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:10 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Hmm, that was one difference between your instructions and the instructions from the dye manufacturer - oil after prepping or not.

I did apply oil already before seeing these two posts. The bolsters where I really worked it hard were very dry. They have absorbed four applications of oil in the first two hours.

What is the downside of applying oil and then using pristine clean before applying the dye?
Old 03-20-2016, 08:19 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts

Good work OP...just curious, how many miles on those seats?

Quick Reply: Dye job - the journey