Sponsored by: DashLynx

A long overdue post - Clewitt Kit Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 01:18 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 134 Posts

Always loved it but everyone has mixed reviews on its use on the street. I use the A/C, lights, and stereo a lot and worry that it will cause issues. Some say the lights dim, some say it doesn't charge right, and some say it is fine. Plus I'm not sure if i want to tackle that job.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:23 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have had mine for over three years now with no issues at all on the street. I believe the charging output is somewhere in between the rs pulley and the standard set up. Given all the money people spend on mods this is a no brainer for the added reliability.

Regarding the AC comment... Yes doesn't solve that issue, but I can stick it out with no AC if I can get home without a flatbed.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:36 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KMASS993
Have had mine for over three years now with no issues at all on the street. I believe the charging output is somewhere in between the rs pulley and the standard set up. Given all the money people spend on mods this is a no brainer for the added reliability.

Regarding the AC comment... Yes doesn't solve that issue, but I can stick it out with no AC if I can get home without a flatbed.
What added reliability?

I'm not arguing against, just trying to understand.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:27 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
What added reliability?

I tend to agree. the v-belt set up, while antiquated, is pretty well sorted out. Its not something I worry about.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:14 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Clewett charging issue

Their site references a potential charging issue with the Clewett conversion, remedied by installing a bulb in the circuit/system!

http://www.clewett.com/instrux/964-993charging.pdf
Old 03-23-2016, 03:47 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

The alternator is driven at a speed between stock & RS. This from Richard Clewett directly (who by the way was a joy to work with).

I've had zero issues with the kit, the output of the alternator, etc. I copied Alex's voltmeter install and see perfectly-fine numbers at slow idle, fast idle, and while banging off the rev limiter.

Assumptions & heresay become fact on the Interwebz.

Andreas
Old 03-23-2016, 04:03 PM
simpsoap
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
The alternator is driven at a speed between stock & RS. This from Richard Clewett directly (who by the way was a joy to work with).

I've had zero issues with the kit, the output of the alternator, etc. I copied Alex's voltmeter install and see perfectly-fine numbers at slow idle, fast idle, and while banging off the rev limiter.

Assumptions & heresay become fact on the Interwebz.

Andreas
I have also copied Alex's voltmeter install, and see similar results. Have had zero issues driving the car through town, or on the highway.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:33 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
What added reliability?

Belts/pulleys/shims suck... And yes while some people have good luck and no issues, others end up on the side of the road.... The fact that many Rennlisters have belt change tools in their kit is evidence enough... How many one in your daily driver?

For me it was long distance drives into the Adirondacks to my inlaws... To me, $1k is worth not standing on the side of a poorly lit road fiddling with shims waiting for some NYC schmuck not paying attention to plow into me.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:37 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

anyone noticed this on their install, or was it just something specific to my car/install (the fan casting problem). Really like the kit and ease of changing belts now, just need to carry a small breaker bar in the tool kit to fit and be able release the tensioner.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=28499
Old 03-23-2016, 08:58 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by simpsoap
Andreas came to visit and assist with my laundry, and we decided to play tackle. We spent nearly the entire weekend tearing the back end apart, and then buttoning everything up on Sunday before his trek back to Maryland. I can't say how grateful I was to have the extra set of hands, as well as his knowledge .

I think that about sums it up....The job was definitely challenging. Some of the tools Andreas fabricated were a PITA, but the extra set of hands came in handy. Installing the tools were slightly challenging just due to the size of them, but learned a lot along the way.
-Andy
Originally Posted by P-daddy
That guy looks oddly familiar
There's a story behind "$2"?
A story, AND an old saying..."queer as a $2 bill"
Old 03-23-2016, 10:44 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by simpsoap
This post is long overdue, as time got away from me, and I've been meaning to post it for some time now. Late part of 2015, Andreas came to visit and assist with the install of my Clewett Kit, as well as a laundry list of other maintenance items we decided to tackle. We spent nearly the entire weekend tearing the back end of the car apart, and then buttoning everything up on Sunday before his trek back to Maryland. I can't say how grateful I was to have the extra set of hands, as well as his knowledge of the 993 to assist me with the job.

List of items we tackled:

-Clewett Kit Install
-Spark Plugs
-Spark Plug Wires
-New Lifters
-Upper Valve Cover Gaskets
-Lower Valve Cover Gaskets
-Timing Chain Cover Gaskets

I think that about sums it up....The job was definitely challenging and I couldn't imagine doing the Clewett install alone. Some of the tools Andreas fabricated for the job worked flawlessly, as expected. Spark plug wires were a PITA, but the extra set of hands came in handy. Installing the lifters were slightly challenging just due to the size of them, but learned a lot along the way. The simplicity of the system is great, and the 993 runs like a champ.

A few of the pics from the long weekend...

-Andy
Nice job guys! my monster could use the same treatment now if I could get the traveling mechanic to stop off at my place..
Old 03-24-2016, 01:50 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
anyone noticed this on their install, or was it just something specific to my car/install (the fan casting problem). Really like the kit and ease of changing belts now, just need to carry a small breaker bar in the tool kit to fit and be able release the tensioner.
My fan pulley sits flush and runs dead straight - no wiggle.

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
A story, AND an old saying..."queer as a $2 bill"
Piehole, Smashdaddy.

Originally Posted by ironimages
Nice job guys! my monster could use the same treatment now if I could get the traveling mechanic to stop off at my place..
This can be arranged.

Andreas
Old 03-24-2016, 08:47 AM
nsully
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ha! "queer as a $2 bill" what a great memory jog!! Thanks for that...
Old 03-24-2016, 08:59 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

Belts/pulleys/shims suck... And yes while some people have good luck and no issues, others end up on the side of the road.... The fact that many Rennlisters have belt change tools in their kit is evidence enough... How many one in your daily driver?

For me it was long distance drives into the Adirondacks to my inlaws... To me, $1k is worth not standing on the side of a poorly lit road fiddling with shims waiting for some NYC schmuck not paying attention to plow into me.
same people would pack an extra serpentine belt. Being overly prepared and there being an issue with the stock set up are different things. Doing belts is a pain, but its not really a big deal. Especially if on the roadside, you can just cut the A/C belt, which removes about 60% of the work.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:41 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry man not following your logic. Seems like you are trying to convince yourself and making up extreme scenarios.

I can only see that with tensioner the belt is easy to swap (without AC belt). But by the same token, what if the tensioner breaks? You'd be calling for flatbed with no option to fix.

I don't carry belts on my daily cuz if it breaks I ain't replacing it. Can't be done on side of the road.

Quick Reply: A long overdue post - Clewitt Kit Install