Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

They are Bilstein B6's painted green and 3x the price
Old 06-01-2016, 08:28 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
They are Bilstein B6's painted green and 3x the price
correct. def an improvement over the monroe's but no way its worth the money.

Pretty sure bilstein has been using this upside down setup for years. I think its for weight savings...not sure how though....Bill V wrote about it a while back.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:32 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Yes all the 911 front Bilstein shocks thru '89 were the upside down design, the engineering reason to do this is to save unsprung weight.

The new shocks look to be Bilstein b6, my guess is that they updated the valving to a digressive design as has been used in the PSS series Bilsteins, They are not adjustable but that isn't at all important if the base valving is right.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:38 AM
irule
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Yes all the 911 front Bilstein shocks thru '89 were the upside down design, the engineering reason to do this is to save unsprung weight.

The new shocks look to be Bilstein b6, my guess is that they updated the valving to a digressive design as has been used in the PSS series Bilsteins, They are not adjustable but that isn't at all important if the base valving is right.
Bill, i need to update my shocks/springs soon... i dont really need the adjustable feature of the PSSs.. i just want a low heigh and a perfect ride.

do you think i should try this? or the PSSs is the way to go?
Old 06-01-2016, 11:47 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg

According to Bilstein the B6 now has the digressive piston.

Originally Posted by irule
Bill, i need to update my shocks/springs soon... i dont really need the adjustable feature of the PSSs.. i just want a low heigh and a perfect ride.

do you think i should try this? or the PSSs is the way to go?
I cannot find what the ride height will be on the Porsche part, assume you might be able to use with ROW springs (or other similar) and get ROW height, if you want to go lower then different issue.

Hard to tell with the information available what the difference will be between the Porsche part and the Bilstein part. If Porsche handles this like the Classic Motor Oil good luck! Try calling Bilstein US, they may be able to get you more info.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:51 AM
irule
Racer

I want this ROW sport height:

Old 06-01-2016, 01:28 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

I wonder if Porsche offer these monotube shocks for the 993 RS.

The original RS design is a double tube, non-rebuildable and non-revalveable design with a 72 mm long mounting shaft at the top to fit the RS monoball mount. The stock 993 has something like a 48 mm long shaft.

Last I looked, no Bilstein Porsche monotube shock has this long mounting shaft and having a monotube strut readily available that could be revalved would be handy for those with an RS or RS monoball mounts.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:16 PM
il pirata
Banned

There are two sets, one for 993 and one for turbo/sports.

From the brochure "For more information on these and other Porsche Classic Genuine Parts, please visit our Porsche Classic website at www.porsche.com/classic or contact your Porsche Classic Partner and Porsche Centre. They also hold technical information for you, including installation instructions and details on any additional parts you might have to order." Hopefully for those interested they will actually have technical info and not more marketing stuff.

If you want to go more the RS route for the street I would just get PSS10's along with the RS carrier, mounts, etc.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by il pirata
There are two sets, one for 993 and one for turbo/sports.

From the brochure "For more information on these and other Porsche Classic Genuine Parts, please visit our Porsche Classic website at www.porsche.com/classic or contact your Porsche Classic Partner and Porsche Centre. They also hold technical information for you, including installation instructions and details on any additional parts you might have to order." Hopefully for those interested they will actually have technical info and not more marketing stuff.

If you want to go more the RS route for the street I would just get PSS10's along with the RS carrier, mounts, etc.
And one needs this nut for the "RS route" like I had to have made as well:
Old 06-01-2016, 04:37 PM
il pirata
Banned

Thanks! Forgot about the unobtanium bolt....you also need Rennline top hats in the rear..both are needed to get correct articulation.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:11 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Where did you come across your unobtainum nut? Is it a commercial part?
Old 06-01-2016, 07:59 PM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Where did you come across your unobtainum nut? Is it a commercial part?
I wish it was a commercial part. I knew getting into this thanks to ToSi and the Jackal that i needed a custom nut, unfortunately the mechanic waited until he needed the part before looking for a machinist to do the work...friggin expensive and would not give us a file for future use.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:50 PM
irule
Racer

i am very tempted to install these instead of PSS10... i don't do track, only daily use in normal roads.

i already have H&R springs installed.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:44 PM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So much negativity on here.....why not just be glad that Porsche chooses to implement further developments on a 20 year old model? If you see fit to make better judgement by choosing aftermarket then by all means do so, just don't flame Porsche for offering a choice.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:50 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by evoderby
So much negativity on here.....why not just be glad that Porsche chooses to implement further developments on a 20 year old model? If you see fit to make better judgement by choosing aftermarket then by all means do so, just don't flame Porsche for offering a choice.
They have "Porsche Classic" motor oil for $20/quart too. Also a joke.

VW, er, Porsche has no interest in developing things for the air cooled market. They have an interest in making money.

Who cares if they offer a choice, if it's a sub-par choice.

It's a car company, not a cult. Porsche makes lots of $hit products that the aftermarket does far better, and usually for less money. These crap shocks are one of them. The Monroes that came new on the car from the factory were crap as well.

Quick Reply: Porsche Classic offering new design 993 shock absorbers