Sponsored by: DashLynx

F.S. 993 Windshield/Back Glass Templates

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 09:06 PM
AllMine
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F.S. 993 Windshield/Back Glass Templates

I have a few sets of templates for installing the windshields and back glass on our cars. I had them made from an Adobe Illustrator file I was able to source. They were laser cut from Masonite, or clip board material, and I believe is 1/8" thick.

I would love to tell you how terrific they were when they were used to install the windshield on my 95 Cab...but I can not. I had the glass pulled to fix a small windshield rust concern, and then went on to a roof off, glass out respray. So...
First round the glass "tech" refused to use the templates and completely ignored the service manual /T.S.B. Procedures. I was not with the car when this happened.
Round 2 different "tech" literally flat out told me he could not install the glass without the outer weatherstrip on. This, of course, means it is impossible to use the templates. Crappy install again.
There has not been a round 3.
What I do know is the windshield templates are accurate. Before taking the car to the body shop I checked if the templates lined up correctly, and they did. I believe this was still the original glass, I think it was a Sigla glass, and the "driven by Hurley Haywood" Brumos sticker was in the lower passenger corner, and the outer weatherstrip fit and looked terrific.
The top and bottom of the templates fit flush against the glass and the left and right did not. The left and right lined up perfectly with the glass weatherstrip frame and the windshield frame when rotated slightly to fit in the weatherstrip frame. I assume this is because of how the sides curve differently from top to bottom, unlike the roof and cowl to glass fitment. I guess this in how the factory ones would work.

This is my first set I have ever seen or held, and I was honestly VERY excited with how well the templates fit.

If I did not feel these were accurate and useful I would just cut my losses and throw them in the trash. The last thing I want to do is cause problems for someone else. But, I think these can help reduce the stress around glass replacement.... If you can get your glass guy to use them...Grrrrrrrrrrrrr....

I do not own a coupe so I can not vouch for the fitment of the rear, but they were cut from the same AI file.

I will take $47.50 per set (windshield and back glass) shipped, in a bubble padded envelope, in the contiguous US. I prefer to have these spread around to help people out so I ask that you not request to buy more than 1 set. P.M. Me here and I will go by the date and time stamp to determine priority. I will not ship out of the country, sorry.
Thank You
Curt

Last edited by AllMine; 07-27-2016 at 07:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
samurai_k (04-17-2022)
Old 06-02-2016, 07:39 PM
AllMine
Instructor

Here are some pics if you are interested.
Thanks
Curt
Attached Images    
The following 2 users liked this post by AllMine:
GabiOsz (01-18-2023), M. Schneider (10-20-2023)
Old 07-07-2016, 11:12 AM
AllMine
Instructor

Still have a few sets left if there is any interest.
Curt
Old 07-08-2016, 12:19 AM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't understand. How are they used in the installation? Thanks.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:30 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Bought a set of these from Curt, they are nicely made. Recommended.

When the window installer applies the adhesive and slaps the window on, the templates are used to align left / right / top / bottom using the a-pillars, roof and cowl as reference points. It's about setting the depth as much as the side / up-down displacement. If the depth is wrong, exterior seals won't seal properly.

Bargain at twice the price.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:41 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the explanation. Did you find an installer who would/knew how to use them? Do installers not have these templates? If not, do they just wing the installation and hope for the best?
Old 07-09-2016, 03:23 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Some installers are pretty good and can just eyeball it, or put the seal in place on the window before setting it on the adhesive. Others are less inspired and fitment problems ensue. Very few will have the templates.

The templates take the guesswork out of it so Fritz at the factory can churn out consistent results both before and after his lunch of schnitzel and a litre or two of bier.

When my installer returns to put the front & rear windows back in place, I anticipate he will humour me and let me use the templates, since I have them anyway...
Old 07-09-2016, 03:15 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

The templates 'really' should be used. When my rear window was replaced, the installer did not use/have/know about them and neither did I. The window was bonded in and eyeballed to position. Before the adhesive set up, the window slid down and over (no templates used). Since then I tried to replace the outer seal and fill the gap under it where water collects. I could not get the seal to sit right and it does look crappy to this day. Very little water collects under it but it does not sit smooth all the way around. Wish I knew about the templates a head of time!!!!
Old 07-10-2016, 04:32 PM
Ash
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

PM sent
Old 07-11-2016, 07:34 AM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 108 Posts

PM sent
Old 07-16-2016, 03:46 PM
sambo32
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pm sent
Old 07-16-2016, 08:37 PM
AllMine
Instructor

I only have 2 sets left in my posession. 1 set I am waiting on a payment for, if that falls through there is someone else who said they would take it. The other set I agreed to hold till this friday to see if they can work a way to get them to Canada. If that falls through there is someone else who said they would take the set.. So as it stands right now, they are gone. If something changes I will update this thread here.
Thank you to everyone.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:26 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Any chance you can post the schematic for them, with dimensions? Might be able to make them, with correct numbers.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:53 AM
AllMine
Instructor

The last 2 sets are spoken for. However, I have decided to have another batch made. With all the hassle I went through getting them made it is just easier for me to do it. I will update this thread when they are made.
Thank You
Curt Hettinger
I am hesitant to provide the file as I did not create it, Thanks for your understanding
Old 07-19-2016, 08:14 AM
sambo32
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when ready again, Ill take a set.
thanks

Quick Reply: F.S. 993 Windshield/Back Glass Templates