Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can you fit a bike and a 12x12 tent inside a 993? Why yes you can...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 07:49 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by coltj
Use the bike to ride to/from Jerry's in Natick.
Foxman should do the same
Old 06-04-2016, 02:38 AM
oMenRC51
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

+1
Old 06-04-2016, 05:31 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Holytin
Maybe a truck would be better suited for what you guys want to do...
I think Dr. Porsche would approve.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:43 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Bicycle frame size?
Old 06-05-2016, 10:26 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by doublecabmel
is there anything these cars can't do?
Depreciate?

Andreas
Old 06-05-2016, 07:06 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
Agree. "Using the right tool for the job" comes to mind.
With the exception of a roof rack for track wheels I never understood those who are loading a sports car like a pickup truck.
meh. IF you are hauling 4 bikes, trash, or bags of dirt for the yard, sure...but if the 993 works, go for it. A much more fun ride to wherever than a pickup would be....and perhaps we don't own pickups...

My other ride was in the shop and I had to pick some stuff up 2 weekends ago....so the 993 was it. I had a little bit of concern as I was checking out of HomeDepot, with the DAS rollbar and fixed-back seats making the rear seats off limits, but I should know better.... Inside the car: 2 large push brooms, 1/2"x2'x2' MDF for my speaker upgrade, box of with trans fluid pump to return to friend, a bunch of Target stuff, 2 bags of oil dry, and in the frunk 75 lbs of kitty litter. Before you ask, no I don't have a large cat.....just more oil dry for the local PCA AX trailer.

Heck, I've transported 2 unmounted front 245/35-18 tires in the front seat....that was a tough to hit a shift it was so tight, but only going a mile or two.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:22 PM
helmet993
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree. "Using the right tool for the job" comes to mind.
With the exception of a roof rack for track wheels I never understood those who are loading a sports car like a pickup truck.
Ignore the negativity, using your car just makes the wannabe drivers jealous that you actually drive your car!

The utility is awesome, my old boss puts his kite surfing kit in his 964.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:42 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't tell me ANY Carrera looks good with a roof rack or any sort of rack. Don't like pickups? Get an an SUV for the load. Or continue hammering nails with a screwdriver.
(Exception: hauling tires to the track for racing)

There's no "negativity" here just being realistic.

Ps. Re: kite bag; we usually laugh when we see guys roll up in sports cars to kite at the launch. It's ridiculous, on so many levels.

Last edited by EMBPilot; 06-05-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:17 PM
helmet993
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You can't tell me ANY Carrera looks good with a roof rack or any sort of rack. Don't like pickups? Get an an SUV. Or continue using a screw driver to hammer a nail.
(Exception: hauling tires to the track for racing)

There's no "negativity" here just being realistic.

Ps. Re: kite bag: we usually laugh when we see guys roll up in sports cars to kite at the launch. It's ridiculous. on so many levels.

You should write a book, you're a legend!
Old 06-05-2016, 08:35 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
meh. IF you are hauling 4 bikes, trash, or bags of dirt for the yard, sure...but if the 993 works, go for it. A much more fun ride to wherever than a pickup would be....and perhaps we don't own pickups...

My other ride was in the shop and I had to pick some stuff up 2 weekends ago....so the 993 was it. I had a little bit of concern as I was checking out of HomeDepot, with the DAS rollbar and fixed-back seats making the rear seats off limits, but I should know better.... Inside the car: 2 large push brooms, 1/2"x2'x2' MDF for my speaker upgrade, box of with trans fluid pump to return to friend, a bunch of Target stuff, 2 bags of oil dry, and in the frunk 75 lbs of kitty litter. Before you ask, no I don't have a large cat.....just more oil dry for the local PCA AX trailer.

Heck, I've transported 2 unmounted front 245/35-18 tires in the front seat....that was a tough to hit a shift it was so tight, but only going a mile or two.

Whatever floats your boat...

Just make sure to use a tarp when hauling gravel. It's a b.... to get these thingies out of the nooks and crannies!
Old 06-05-2016, 10:04 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can't tell me ANY Carrera looks good with a roof rack or any sort of rack. Don't like pickups? Get an an SUV for the load.
Oh, I know of a rack that looks good with a Carrera...

Ugh, no SUV...that's why I have an Avant (which was in the shop when I had to go shopping for brooms and kitty litter... And take 2 tires to the shop.)

Originally Posted by Holytin
Whatever floats your boat...

Just make sure to use a tarp when hauling gravel. It's a b.... to get these thingies out of the nooks and crannies!
You ain't kidding. Ever try to get the spare change out from under the seat? Gets wedged in there so you can see 1/2 the coin, but can't even begin to get it out. When I had the seats off, I found enough change to buy....well, nothing for a Porsche...
Old 06-06-2016, 01:37 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Here is an except from The Gold Plated Porsche by Stephan Wilkenson. Won't help at all with your leakdown, but your question reminded me of this.......

"I have a friend who does public-relations work for Porsche in the U.S. It was once his lot to accompany Ferry Porsche (company founder Ferdinand's son and at that point chairman of the board) to a Porsche Parade. . .The prime feature of each PCA Parade is a concours d'elegance, at which the most perfect, most spectacular, most anally restored and maintained Porsches in a variety of categories are awarded prizes. Rumor has it that at one Parade, the grand prize went to a Porsche owner who bought a brand-new 911, disassembled it, perfectly repainted or replated every visible part and reassembled a car that was quite literally better than new.

"'This must make you proud,' my friend said to Ferry Porsche as they surveyed a field filled with cars awaiting judgment, their owners frantically cleaning the insides of exhaust pipes, detailing nooks and crannies with Q-tips, siliconing ignition wires, polishing tires and ensuring that the hidden undersides of their cars were cleaner than a kitchen counter. 'Six hundred beautiful cars, each with your family's name on it.'

"'It makes me sad,' Ferry said. 'Our cars were meant to be driven, not polished.'"
Old 06-06-2016, 01:38 AM
serval
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Ps. Re: kite bag; we usually laugh when we see guys roll up in sports cars to kite at the launch. It's ridiculous, on so many levels.[/QUOTE]

When I was a kid, I spent a lot of time in Normandy windsurfing. Almost every Friday, there was a (we found out later) lawyer from Paris driving up in a stunning Lotus Esprit to meet his friends for tri-foil racing. He carried his wetsuit and assorted gear in the car. We were all in awe thinking how effortlessly cool it must be to leave Paris and drive up in a Lotus then jump in a trifoiler for some more exotic fun, then wrap up the evening at some awesome little restaurant with some amazing looking woman. We were all grinning, but I cannot remember anyone laughing.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:41 AM
Soup
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Not a 993, but same idea. I'll enjoy my ride to the trailhead as well, thanks.

But then again, I like to have my cake and eat it too

Old 06-06-2016, 11:10 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Cool! But riddle me this DIY question; Can one fit a 2x4x6' in your car?
Andy

Quick Reply: Can you fit a bike and a 12x12 tent inside a 993? Why yes you can...