Sponsored by: DashLynx

Issue with item I recently bought from member

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 01:20 AM
Detoxx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Issue with item I recently bought from member

Seeking some advise. I recently bought a ducktail from a member that had it listed in the classifieds, post was deleted but I have a copy, as what he believed as a getty ducktail which from comparing images it’s not. The PO bought it and had it installed. When I went to install the ducktail the mounting holes did not fit, I could get three of the bolts threaded loosely with some work but the 4th not even close. Spent 1.5 hours trying to get it to fit by various methods but no luck. I have my stock deck lid and a straton which uses a stock lid as the base and I can install both in 5 minutes as the mounting holes line up. Upon communicating this to him including pictures he says "it fit on my car no problem, you must be doing some wrong installing it I have lots of pictures with it installed". This has been repeated by him numerous times during our correspondence. I’ve asked him to meet so I could show him he issue as he’s local but he’d repeat his line again. Also he’s never seen how the lid was installed as he had an autobody shop remove that lid and put the original back on. He doesn’t want to refund my money and said “If you've changed your mind, I'm sure selling it wouldn't be tough. I can't be responsible for why it fit perfectly on mine, but doesn't on yours.” He even gave me the contact info for a member that contacted him about it. I told him I would not sell it as I was uncomfortable selling it and would prefer a refund but he ceased communications. Am I wrong in asking for a refund? Personally if I sell an item I stand by what I sell but I know that’s not always the case or expected.
Comparing images, it’s not a getty
Getty - https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...il-owners.html
Ducktail –

With two bolts mounted here’s the other side and you can see how far off it is.

For those that want to know why I bought it, I wanted to see if I liked a red ducktail on my car and if so was going to sell the straton. If not I would have sold the “getty"
Old 06-15-2016, 01:43 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reasonable to ask for a refund, but I don't see how the seller is obligated to grant it.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:55 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

Many people seem to use body shops to help fit these aftermarket lids. Perhaps the member would share which body shop he used any you could check them out. Personally would be pleasantly suprised to buy an aftermarket lid new or used if it bolted right on and gaps lined up right, but not sure i would expect it.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:44 AM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

http://www.gettydesign.com/frp/Gener..._important.pdf
Old 06-15-2016, 08:51 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Seller sounds like a class act. Who is it? I hope he does the right thing and takes this thing back.

I could see a bodyshop employing Neanderthal engineering and just bending the lid supports to allow the holes to line up.

Lastly, the quality of that fiberglass work looks eerily similar to a papier-mâché project I did in elementary school.

Andreas
Old 06-15-2016, 09:56 AM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

try these
http://www.gt-racing.com/911-964-hin...tors-part-11a/
Old 06-15-2016, 11:15 AM
Detoxx
Racer

As he indicated in a PM he believed this was getty ducktail and from what I read getty's have great quality and pretty much mount on with ease. To mount this tail I'd have to slot the mounting holes as well as do some bending of the rear deck lid supports. Neither of which is something I want to do. It also has a few pin holes, which I was fine with, and minor blemishes.

Here's the description of the item
For sale is a duckail for a 993. It is made from fiberglass. Very good quality and construction.

The ducktail includes an excellent condition grille. It also has a near new Carrera emblem, and rubber stoppers.

The decklid was prepared for paint in a meticulous fashion, and the paint is extremely nice and glossy. It matches a original paint 993 with guards red perfectly.

All said and done, this could cost over 1k with prep, paint, emblem, grille, and rubber stoppers. Get a complete ducktail with prestine paint for a very reasonable price, and therefore the price is pretty firm.

I will not ship this. Please PM for contact information including location. I will not ship this, so local pickup only please. I would consider dropping it off at a UPS location for them to pack, ship, and accept responsibility for any shipping damage if no one local is interested.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:46 AM
helmet993
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm opinionated when it comes to this, but you should "out" the seller so we can all stay away from him/her.

Based on the conversations you had post sale, this person is garbage.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:04 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by helmet993
I'm opinionated when it comes to this, but you should "out" the seller so we can all stay away from him/her.

Based on the conversations you had post sale, this person is garbage.
...I concur
Old 06-15-2016, 12:07 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JB 911
Many people seem to use body shops to help fit these aftermarket lids. Perhaps the member would share which body shop he used any you could check them out. Personally would be pleasantly suprised to buy an aftermarket lid new or used if it bolted right on and gaps lined up right, but not sure i would expect it.
I had a factory Carrera tail for my 911SC and even it took some effort to light up properly. the older 911s were all handbuilt, so there are variances between individual cars. 993's were the last of that era, that is why some people have rubbing issues with tire size X and others don't. It is conceivable that the seller's car lines up differently than yours. It could be that he is also lying through his teeth.

I'm generally not in the camp of "outing" someone unless you are absolutely sure, there are always multiple perspectives to each story.

I would say, if you want a refund, "outing" him/her, will probably not help your cause. just my 0.02.

Good luck though.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:17 PM
Detoxx
Racer

Originally Posted by Kika
I had a factory Carrera tail for my 911SC and even it took some effort to light up properly.

I'm generally not in the camp of "outing" someone unless you are absolutely sure, there are always multiple perspectives to each story.

I would say, if you want a refund, "outing" him/her, will probably not help your cause. just my 0.02.

Good luck though.
My factory lid and straton duck mount up with ease, 5 minutes no issues. I can't even mount this one without modification, I can get 3 of the 4 bolts loosely mounted. The 4th mounting hole is so far out it requires slotting of the mounting holes and bending of support arms to get it even mount. I spent 1.5 hours trying different techniques to get the 4 holes lined up to no avail. Not planning on outing at this time.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:21 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

These cars are hand built, the panels are hand aligned from the factory. You cant buy a factory decklid and drop it in without spending time aligning it. Aftermarket panels (Getty included) are notoriously poor fitting and take even more work to get them aligned.

It would not surprise me to see a fiberglass part that was massaged onto one car, not drop right into another one.... Sounds like both the seller and buyer are not aware of the complexity here.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:37 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think if I bought an aftermarket fiberglass tail I would expect to have to have a bodyshop put it on. Those parts are notorious for needing some TLC to get it on a given car and having it fit another car is no guarantee. Perhaps the seller might be willing to refund enough money to cover an hour of labor at your local bodyshop or disclose which shop put it on for him and see what they have to say about it.

It was pretty easy to find a cached version of the ad, I did not see where the seller said it was a Getty part, although someone else who responded to the ad mentioned Getty.

If you are going to repaint the tail to match the car, it would seem to be fairly easy for the body shop to make the adjustments at that point and get it to line up correctly. If you are paying to have it repainted, seems like the shop might not even charge as they would probably want to trial fit it first and get a good match on the paint.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:43 PM
AdaptecSpeedware
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a "Getty" gt2 wing. I had to modify my bracket holes to get it to mount up. Previous owner had it installed on his and said he had no problems. I chalked it up to ill fitting non oem fiberglass parts.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:43 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

I think it is entirely reasonable to expect non-OE body parts to require massaging by professionals (body shops) to fit mass produced cars. This expectation is perhaps a "mild secret" of the industry that those that are new to the hobby perhaps are not well aware of.

Furthermore, because 993s are hand built to some degree, 993s have wider variances than mass produced cars - this compounds the problem.

Some time ago, I had a transaction issue with a fellow rennlister. That rennlister had sold me some parts. The rennlister gave me ample time to examine the parts --- I examined them in a cursory way at the transaction site. However, once I purchased them and brought them home, I examined them more carefully and discovered that some of the parts were unusable.

I contacted the rennlister ---- and the rennlister had a very good point --- he mentioned that I should have examined the parts more carefully at the transaction site. He was right. My fault --- buyer beware.

Even then, that rennlister was very gracious and refunded me (I think it was) 20% of the purchase price - I still kept the parts. That rennlister is very gracious and represents what I enjoy about this community.

NOTE ---- folks - you can find the name of the seller of the part by plugging in the text of the advertisement into google and then using the "search cached" function of Google to find the original ad (as the original ad has already been removed from rennlist).

Quick Reply: Issue with item I recently bought from member