Sponsored by: DashLynx

modern air condition kit for 993?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 08:39 PM
3healey
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by phoneyman
Now, the heat on the other hand is terrible in my car. I'd love to not wait 20 minutes for it to heat up and defrost the front screen.
Mine heats up almost immediately. In fact, I've considered rigging up a Porsche-like exhaust manifold heat exchanger for my '06 Ram which takes FOREVER to warm up.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:05 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I rarely use my A/C. I've had the car 4 years and have never had it serviced or looked at. Today I fired it up (90 degrees) and was shocked at how cold it was. Now I agree that it really suffers when the car is stationary (the recirc button helps a bit), but for an 18 year old system, it's pretty remarkable. Clearly better than modern cars I've recently had (Subaru Outback and Jeep Grand Cherokee to name a few).
Old 07-05-2016, 11:32 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Not very effective over 97+ degrees. It gets a 100+ for weeks at a time, and a month at a time here. Don't drive a whole lot when it's that hot.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:45 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3healey
Mine heats up almost immediately. In fact, I've considered rigging up a Porsche-like exhaust manifold heat exchanger for my '06 Ram which takes FOREVER to warm up.
That sounds like a really fun project.

I have a very un-scientific method I've used to gauge how the HVAC works. Ive driven an 08 Dodge Ram, 12 Audi A3, 12 997.2, and my 96 993 for extended periods of time. I used to live down a really long private road and would judge how well AC and heat worked by seeing how far down the drive I would get until the HVAC became effective.

The Audi is great, only takes about 2 minutes in winter with 20 degree ambient temp. The 997.2 was next and also quick. The Dodge was pretty bad and took about 1.5 miles before the heat got respectable. The 993 was by far the worst and took about 6 miles before the glass would de-fog and warm the cabin. I probably have some overlooked problem, but I dont live in very cold climate anymore so I guess I dont care as much as I used to.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:48 PM
oscillon
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheBen
I have my windows tinted for UV rays and the AC doesn't have to work as hard.
UV isn't a significant source of "heat" from the sun behind glass. I hope you didn't pay much for UV tinting as glass is an extremely efficient filter in and of itself. What you should be tinting for is broad spectrum and especially infrared.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:38 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

My tint - huper optik - also does great heat rejection.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:10 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 211 Posts
Wink

Attached Images  
Old 07-13-2016, 11:56 AM
TigrEnginr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oscillon
UV isn't a significant source of "heat" from the sun behind glass. I hope you didn't pay much for UV tinting as glass is an extremely efficient filter in and of itself. What you should be tinting for is broad spectrum and especially infrared.
sorry, incorrect. I put 40k miles on a car per year, in Florida. I have my windshield tinted and it makes a HUGE difference my wife's car doesn't have hers tinted and I melt. 3M makes a great UV reducing clear tint that I would highly recommend, you'll never go back.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:09 PM
oscillon
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The glass itself absorbs 70-80% of the UV(A/B) radiation and the film of plastic that is already in your windshield actually absorbs 95-100% of UV. Unfortunately, you've paid for something you already have. Moreover, it's the visible radiation that heats up your through the process of absorption and reflection of infrared within the interior. So unless you reduce the amount of visible light entering by reflection (aluminized glass) or through adsorption with filters, you aren't doing much. It's just simple physics. The UV "tint" you are getting may give you a bit of added protection on the side glass, but certainly not any additional benefit elsewhere.

Originally Posted by TigrEnginr
sorry, incorrect. I put 40k miles on a car per year, in Florida. I have my windshield tinted and it makes a HUGE difference my wife's car doesn't have hers tinted and I melt. 3M makes a great UV reducing clear tint that I would highly recommend, you'll never go back.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:48 PM
Rockit
Racer

Originally Posted by Sandia man
You might look at the Griffiths web site. They have upgraded components for the 993. It's my understanding that their evaporator is the most significant for improved performance; it's also the most labor to change.
Yup

I use my A/C all the time...I'm installing a new Compressor and better Evaporator.... Because I have to.... from Griffiths.

https://griffiths.com/porsche/air-conditioning/964-993/
Old 07-15-2016, 11:16 AM
carguy19
Instructor

Mine didnt work when I bought my car and it was just a relay. It blows ice cold now except for when the car is under 1250 RPM for more then 1-2 minutes.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:28 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP, there's a factory spec for vent temps that you can check to see if your system is performing properly.

Anecdotally, I live in a place that gets very hot for a few months a year (temps in the mid-90's) and find that as long as I don't leave my car baking in the sun, the stock AC does the job adequately. Not stellar -- but adequate.

Quick Reply: modern air condition kit for 993?