Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Preventative Maintenance while Door Panel is Off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 02:23 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Preventative Maintenance while Door Panel is Off?

I'm at the home stretch ---- ripped out and replaced all the carpeting, upper/lower dash, rear interior panels, etc.....

Now I've taken apart the door panels to replace them with leather ones ---- what should I do in terms of preventative maintenance while I'm in here?

The original sound deadening from the factory is a little bit curled up but it hasn't given up yet --- it is still stuck to the door inner skins in a strong way....
Under the previous owner's care, I note that the vapor barrier is missing, so I'll go replace that.
Anything else I should do while I'm in here without creating a huge make-work project? Lubrication?

Thanks.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:48 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

1. Condition of the insulation on outside panel of door
2. Check the metal channel that holds the glass for that.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:45 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I would go ahead and replace the sound deadening with dynamat or equivalent before you put the new vapor barrier on. It's very easy to do, and with your recent experience removing glue, you should have no problem!

Another thought would be to lubricate the window regulator, especially where it contacts the motor/gear. While I haven't done this on the 993 yet, I have done this on other cars and noticed the recently lubricated windows go up and down significantly faster than the others.

Whatever you do, don't take to long to do it. I want to see the finished product!
Old 07-25-2016, 05:56 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Hah, Thanks guys.

I'll get straight to it. I HATE the interior glue that holds down the carpet. It sucks big time. It is so absurdly sticky.

There are threads on rennlist who claims that interior carpet removal and installation is a project that can take a weekend or two, perhaps with a helper.

I don't know what superhumans are doing this work but my opinion is that this time estimate is completely false. Now, I work super slowly and methodically (each new piece of carpet takes make at least 2 hours to glue trim and glue down --- stretch, tugging, carefully fitting ....) I have about 120 hours into this project over more than a month at this point.

:-)
Old 07-25-2016, 08:39 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

How is the rubber gasket on your exterior door handles? If it's cracking or showing its age, now would be the time to remove the door handles and switch them out.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:46 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,026 Posts

your door guts look rather clean. If you haven't modified the check strap reducing forces on the strap this is a good time to do this to save it's A
pillar hinge point. All other looks good. A little silicone lube on the window lift joints and on the soft tracks the glass runs up and down in.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:55 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

It was suggested to me just the other day that to remove the old glue, it comes off quite well if you place dry ice on it. It hardens it to the point it becomes brittle and is easily broken off.

I have not tried it, so cannot speak from personal experience.

Regards,

Originally Posted by Jlaa
Hah, Thanks guys.

I'll get straight to it. I HATE the interior glue that holds down the carpet. It sucks big time. It is so absurdly sticky.

There are threads on rennlist who claims that interior carpet removal and installation is a project that can take a weekend or two, perhaps with a helper.

I don't know what superhumans are doing this work but my opinion is that this time estimate is completely false. Now, I work super slowly and methodically (each new piece of carpet takes make at least 2 hours to glue trim and glue down --- stretch, tugging, carefully fitting ....) I have about 120 hours into this project over more than a month at this point.

:-)
Old 07-25-2016, 10:17 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cemoto
It was suggested to me just the other day that to remove the old glue, it comes off quite well if you place dry ice on it. It hardens it to the point it becomes brittle and is easily broken off.

I have not tried it, so cannot speak from personal experience.

Regards,

I find that hard to believe..... If you freeze the glue with dry ice, then you're probably freezing the surrounding carpet / carpet padding / etc etc .... I can imagine tons of collateral damage then breaking the whole frozen lump off.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:19 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul M
How is the rubber gasket on your exterior door handles? If it's cracking or showing its age, now would be the time to remove the door handles and switch them out.
Originally Posted by pp000830
your door guts look rather clean. If you haven't modified the check strap reducing forces on the strap this is a good time to do this to save it's A
pillar hinge point. All other looks good. A little silicone lube on the window lift joints and on the soft tracks the glass runs up and down in.

Thanks guys. Getting to it. Door guts are clean prob because the car spent its entire life in Northern California and then Arizona.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:34 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KMASS993
2. Check the metal channel that holds the glass for that.
+1 I had window come off that rail...turned out to be a major pita.

Basically water drips down the glass (rain, car wash) right into that metal holder and rusts in there. See if you can move the glass up out of it...slowly. If it's tight in there might as well leave it alone and just add some grease to the regulator parts (there are a few plastic wheels).
Old 07-26-2016, 06:20 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your door handle triggers don't pull smoothly and easily, it's worth taking the door handles off and cleaning/lubricating the plungers. On my high-mileage car, it made a huge difference.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:55 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlaa
I find that hard to believe..... If you freeze the glue with dry ice, then you're probably freezing the surrounding carpet / carpet padding / etc etc .... I can imagine tons of collateral damage then breaking the whole frozen lump off.
The advice came from someone who builds race cars and wants all the glue out of the tub.

My apologies, I was interpreting you wanted to remove the glue. My reading comprehension decreases somewhat after being outside on these bloody hot days!

Regards,

Old 07-26-2016, 10:22 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
If your door handle triggers don't pull smoothly and easily, it's worth taking the door handles off and cleaning/lubricating the plungers. On my high-mileage car, it made a huge difference.
This.

And also +1 to checking the rails at the bottom of the windows. If they are starting to corrode, eventually they can swell so much that they will not fit through the window slot at the top of the door, ie it will be very difficult to remove them. Best to nip this in the bud.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:45 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cemoto
The advice came from someone who builds race cars and wants all the glue out of the tub.

My apologies, I was interpreting you wanted to remove the glue. My reading comprehension decreases somewhat after being outside on these bloody hot days!

Regards,

Theaters use what amounts to a can of dustoff upside down to freeze chewing gum stuck to carpet and upholstery so it simply cracks off, old trick works great!
Old 07-26-2016, 11:49 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My previous posting seems to have disappeared. Consider a flush buckle nut used to clasp belt leather to a belt buckle with a machine screw. Provides a threaded flush nut with a flange for the back. easily purchased in different diameters at leather or craft shops, or even eBay. Has the advantage of a blind rivet and is serviceable.

Quick Reply: Preventative Maintenance while Door Panel is Off?