Sponsored by: DashLynx

Thoughts on good compression but poor leakdown

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 01:46 AM
miclin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on good compression but poor leakdown

After one year, im still looking for that 993. I was seriously considering one on my other thread until the collective wisdom of Rennlisters steer me away from an impulsive purchase.

Anyway, found a 95 c4 cab with low mileage at ~55k. All was good and seller seems like a nice guy until the PPI result came back today. I am in need of the community again to help me make sense of this.

Compression is good 1=160, 2=160, 3=150, 4=165, 5=165, 6=150

Leakdown is not so good with 1=2%, 2=2%, 3=3%, 4=5%, 5=8%, 6=20%!!!!!

No smoke on startup and engine seems to run well. Not sure about oil consumption. Some minor leaks at left valve cover, left cylinder head base gasket, right timing cover.

Mechanic who did the PPI did some minor services on this car 8 months ago and noted that seller had put on a whopping 30miles since then.

Any thoughts in what's going on? Should I even try to negotiate on the price or steer clear?

Thanks
Mike
Old 09-24-2016, 02:01 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Did they listen at intake and exhaust for the leakdown? Also, oil squirt into cylinder?
Results? Could be useful to know if leakdown numbers are resulting from rings or valves.

That #6 cylinder looks a tad iffy but isn't necessarily a show stopper. If the price is very attractive you could cover costs for a top end rebuild if it came to that. If seller is asking top dollar I don't think it's unreasonable to negotiate some reduction on that basis.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:23 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Further investigation is needed here; might just be a bit of carbon under the valve between the seat & edge.

Did the tech note WHERE the leakage came from???
Old 09-24-2016, 09:53 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I second the carbon under the valve, also these sort of tests are iffy at best and there may be no issue at all. If the car runs strong holds a good idle may not be a big issue.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:35 PM
miclin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys!

The tech said he can't id the location of leak and felt the sound was sort of diffuse around the engine. He speculates that valve 6 result is likely sticky valve from carbon buildup due to the driving habit of the seller. I am not sure if he squirt any oil in 6 but I can find out Monday.

Car is being advertised as 'excellent' condition cosmetically and mechanically but the PPI is really showing more a driver condition cosmetically like oversprayed front bumper, repainted rear quarter panel and rocker, usual bolster cracks, flickering pixels board computer display, and etc.

Asking price for the car was 49k and negotiated down to 46k, contingent clean PPI. Hope I can knock it down much more.

Mike
Old 09-24-2016, 01:00 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your mechanic never bothered to find the source of the leak. 20% is a lot and would be easy to identify. The car should be gotten up to temp, driven hard, and #6 re-tested.

$46K is hugely overpriced for a car with sloppy paintwork, likely accident or damage history, and lots of deferred maintenance. You pay $46K for a low-mileage car because it *doesn't* have those problems.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:13 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
Your mechanic never bothered to find the source of the leak. 20% is a lot and would be easy to identify. The car should be gotten up to temp, driven hard, and #6 re-tested.
I'd totally agree. Thats a significant leak and easily discerned by listening to the intake system ,the exhaust system, and the oil tank using a stethoscope or a short length of rubber/plastic tubing.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on good compression but poor leakdown