Default Look What Santa Brought Me

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
These are the RS parts
93.331.045.80 Kinematic Control Arm x2 RS, top rear
993.331.041.81 A arm /L RS RS
993.331.042.81 A arm /R RS RS
993.331.217.80 Eccentric screw x2 top forward inner camber
993.331.219.80 Eccentric washer x2 top forward inner camber

This is the stock camber arm and also used on the RS, this one doesn't use stiffer rubber
993.331.047.03 x2 top forward camber

When I used the RS parts the above is what I had w/ Tarret mono-ball toe links + locks

Some guys are going a step further and changing the cambers link to the stiffer rubber bush too. I see that as a positive step

going from stock to full RS was a huge positive step and then going from RS to full RSR mono-***** was as big a positive step, I see the extra sport bush on the camber links(w/ RS KT and A) w/ either mono-ball or sport rubber toe links as in between RS and RSR
Every time Bill posts it costs me five grand. So here they are all new factory bits essentially the exact BOM you posted here. I have Elephant Sport bushings ready to go in place of the stock hardness ones on the new Camber arms. I'll round it out with a locking toe link from ERP or similar. To summarize these will go nicely with the Rennline solid side mounts factory RS sways and drop links, RS wheel carriers and ERP outer tie rods (essentially their Bump steer kit) which Jae Lee convinced me to install which I'm told is the same setup the Singer cars run. As an aside I'll say it's a fantastic configuration, worth the money sad even with the RS carriers you really don't understand the bump steer effect until it's gone. Oh and I've been running the Waltod A Arm poly bushings for years. If anyone is looking I have the 2 factory RS tie rods in the picture I bought for sale (brand new). The front bits I referred to above including install, corner and alignment was $10k a couple years ago. The rear bits were nearly $3k and I'm expecting a couple more to get them in and realigned OMG. Now here's the challenge....my PSS'9's just turned 11 years old and 100k miles. Granted these are street miles but my driving style is aggressive to say the least. I'd be stupid at this point not to change these out
to PSS10....or maybe the MCS 2W right....right? Somebody please just shoot me lol....that would be cheaper. What to do....the 9's are really showing their age and one of the dials broke off years ago for good measure. Bill what are we shopping for next???
Old 12-29-2016, 04:55 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^ At some point it's just not worth it on a 993. Yeah, I got the $15K+ suspension on the faux RS. But today (and I think I posted it elsewhere a few weeks ago), I'm getting a whole MCS takeoff set for the 996 Turbo + everything else Tarrett/track necessity.......for about $2500 of the $7500 "pile of parts" a guy is removing. So I'll be all in on a (worthless) 550 HP 996 Turbo, albeit a Ruf conversion car, for maybe, maybe, maybe $45K.

(Love the comment on bump steer, or lack of, when the cars are set up correctly v. "Stance Nation.")
Old 12-30-2016, 01:05 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
^^^ At some point it's just not worth it on a 993. Yeah, I got the $15K+ suspension on the faux RS. But today (and I think I posted it elsewhere a few weeks ago), I'm getting a whole MCS takeoff set for the 996 Turbo + everything else Tarrett/track necessity.......for about $2500 of the $7500 "pile of parts" a guy is removing. So I'll be all in on a (worthless) 550 HP 996 Turbo, albeit a Ruf conversion car, for maybe, maybe, maybe $45K.

(Love the comment on bump steer, or lack of, when the cars are set up correctly v. "Stance Nation.")
Ken, i know you've been a part of rennlist a long time and often have contributed to a technical discussion, thank you. However, as of late (past 3 years) you just post the same thing over and over and over and dont add value. You basically **** on every thread be it about suspension, gearing, 3.8 P&Cs, or any modification. We're all fully aware that your 964 has better gearing than Kim's (faux RS) and have seen the laptimes at various tracks in Northern California... However, that didn't stop you from spending the money to buy Kim's car and track it for years, even though it's a flawed 993, right? I'm sure you think you're helping, but for me and I suspect others it's exhausting.

Look, If people want to modify their cars and come here asking for help, lets help them not rehash the same stories and tell them its not worth it. It might not be worth it to you, and thats just fine its not your money. I'm sure everyone knows a new GT3 is faster and better, but this is a 993 bulletin board and we wish/want to discuss how to make our cars better.

Not to pile on, but look at Mr. Verburg's posts and help he provides.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:00 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
As an aside I'll say it's a fantastic configuration, worth the money sad even with the RS carriers you really don't understand the bump steer effect until it's gone. If anyone is looking I have the 2 factory RS tie rods in the picture I bought for sale (brand new).
Don't part with the RS tie rods ends just yet. The bump steer tie rods from Elephant racing were designed around stock uprights. The angle of the ends makes me think they won't work with RS carriers. Unless there is another version I am unaware of.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:53 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MarinS4
Don't part with the RS tie rods ends just yet. The bump steer tie rods from Elephant racing were designed around stock uprights. The angle of the ends makes me think they won't work with RS carriers. Unless there is another version I am unaware of.
They are not the ones you speak of no and have been on my car with the RS uprights for over a year now. I should have specified this but is something from E.R.P. not Elephant and looks something like this.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:39 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance

They are not the ones you speak of no and have been on my car with the RS uprights for over a year now. I should have specified this but is something from E.R.P. not Elephant and looks something like this.
Can you get pics of the install, with the RS carriers/bump steer kit.
E.R.P.s bump steer kit is for 69-89 911. Even their installation page is for those years. Like to see how you set your up.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:57 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MarinS4
Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Can you get pics of the install, with the RS carriers/bump steer kit.
E.R.P.s bump steer kit is for 69-89 911. Even their installation page is for those years. Like to see how you set your up.
Yes will do. Jae Lee @ Mirage Intl makes a 993 specific version of this same setup for E.R.P. (And Singer). I'll get some pics when he gets my rig back on the rack for the new rear bits install coming soon.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:14 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Here are a few pics of of a friends setup, ERP o/s rod ends w/ 993RS wheel carrier, also a pic of a 993RS outer tie rod and the ERP parts

Old 12-30-2016, 08:26 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Here are a few pics of of a friends setup, ERP o/s rod ends w/ 993RS wheel carrier, also a pic of a 993RS outer tie rod and the ERP parts

Bill, is there a ride height level, which this "bump steer" kit, may not be any benefit? At what ride height (w RS hubs) would the kit be beneficial? Thanks
Old 12-31-2016, 11:45 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Bill, is there a ride height level, which this "bump steer" kit, may not be any benefit? At what ride height (w RS hubs) would the kit be beneficial? Thanks
It's very hard to tell, one thing that limits it is that most guys use a really stiff suspension on a lowered car, that limits range of motion which in turn limits any bump steer effect.

I have stock RSR tie rods w/ the RS wheel carriers a very stiff limited range of motion suspension at RSR height, I'm sure that there is some bump steer present but not enough for me to do anything about it.

The pictures above were from Geoffrey Rings 964 3.8RSR replica, he was a fanatic and went to extremes to refine that car.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:53 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

I have a similar question. How low can you go before you need RS carriers?
Old 12-31-2016, 05:06 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Again there isn't a cliff that you fall off

Here's what the suspension curves look like, the dashed blue line is the x-axis w/ 993RS wheel carriers, ideal curve for bump steer is a vertical line worst is a horizontal line, up to ~45° is generally ok, the x-axis is for 160mm front height w/ std carriers, the blue for ~120mm w/ RS carriers, RSR is at ~100mm

w/ stock carriers a drop of 40mm to RS height would place the x-axis at the +40, suspension action would be +/- from there. w/ Rs carriers you goig to be ~+20 and suspension action is +/- from there, You can see this part of the toe curve is steeper which is better for bump steer. Also don't forget the camber and roll center curves which are rarely talked about but are also important.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:13 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Best price I found Name:  IMG_9741.PNG
Views: 438
Size:  648.7 KB
Old 01-02-2017, 10:06 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

great off season thread