Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wind deflector with fixed rear seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 07:55 PM
throutt
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind deflector with fixed rear seats

Hi everyone, new 993 cab owner learning some lessons the hard way. Upon purchasing the car I needed to replace one of the cables for the soft top and therefore did not have any experience rasing or lowering the top hydraulically. Well as fate would have it I decided to take a drive on a cloudy day, checked the forecast and 0% chance of rain. 15 minutes later I suddenly drive into a typhoon and pull over quickly to put the top up.

While doing so my first wind deflector (with the fabric horizontal component) was in the stowed position and proceeded to jam the top. After trying several more times and being too stupid to realize the wind deflector needed to be in the up position I am in full panic mode because the inside of my car is about to be a lake. I pulled down on the top (I know, a big no no but the rain ruined my critical thinking) and snapped the wind deflector in half.

I went to purchase a new wind deflector and found one directly from the Porsche dealership on sale for a good price. That was supposed to fit the 993. Part number 000-043-202-10. Well as I'm installing it it's not quite fitting as it should and I see in the illustration that the seats are folded. I have fixed seats in my cab. No where on the Porsche website does it mention this will be a problem. Basically, will this wind deflector not work with fixed rear seats? And if so does Porsche generally accept returns? And lastly, if I need to get another wind deflector which one will work on my vehicle?

Thank you such much for the help!

Tom
Old 12-08-2016, 08:17 PM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

The first thing that seems strange is you say that the deflector was in the stowed position, my roof will only go up if the deflector is in the stowed position. If I try to put the roof up with the deflector in the upright position it will jam and pops out of its bracket on the passenger side.
Secondly a 993 cab only has fixed rear seat backs, they don't fold down like the coupe. IIRC the seat backs of a 964 cab fold down and they probably do in a 996. Are you sure they've sold you the right deflector for a 993? It sounds like it my be for a different era of cab.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:33 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Mine goes up and down fine with deflector in both positions both on this and previous 993 through 5 separate roofs.

000-043-202-10 is _not_ a 993 windstop and will not fit.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:28 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^^ What he said, except the 5 roofs part. I think you have a windscreen to a different model 911 cab. Take it back to dealer and make 'em give you the correct part.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:07 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Mike,

It appears they are shipping that part number now for windstop replacement.

Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2016, 11:18 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Al, I've seen int in a few listings. But I think something's wrong here. Like the fact that there's no way to zip this think to the 993 headliner to stow it. Nor do I think it's possible to install it into a 993.

I think the correct 993 wind deflector p/n is 99356197902DEZ. Where did OP get the part number?

I would look here: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...9356197902dez/ That's suspiciously cheap, considering it's now up to $800+ everywhere else.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:25 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

I few years back I ordered a windstop storage bag using the PET and the bag that was sent would fit the OP's windstop.

So I'm surmising this is what they are supplying now, maybe it is a part number supersession.

The storage bag is up in the storage loft if anyone is interested . . .

Regards,

Old 12-09-2016, 12:52 AM
throutt
AutoX

Thanks for the info everyone. It must be the wrong wind deflector that was labeled incorrectly on Porsche website. If I point that out to them and ask for an exchange do you think they will be understanding or tell me to pound sand?

I wish the top went up with the old wind deflector in either position but evidently it did not. The old one I had included the fabric that attached to the headliner and the hinges themselves were on the convertible top frame. I made the jump on the wrong labeled one because the price seemed really good, not sure if I can justify almost spending a grand for the correct one 993-661-979-02-DEZ.

Thanks again for all the help and any advice you have is appreciated.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:23 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I included a site with correct wind screen for $465.

And, again, it supposed to go up and down in either position. And also with cloth flap either over or under the screen.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:17 AM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nile13

And, again, it supposed to go up and down in either position. And also with cloth flap either over or under the screen.
That's interesting to know Nile13, mine must be out of alignment then. I have to flop it back to the horizontal stowed position and then the roof can be put up and back down with no problem. If I leave it upright it pops out and jams, I just figured I was doing it wrong.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:57 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I actually owned 4 German convertibles with automatic tops and have gone through 7 tops on them in the last 18 years. Every single one of them has been finicky, misaligned, slightly bent and... ummm.. had character. So despite how they were originally designed by the "excellent" German engineering, my only advise is: "Don't force it".

The 993 roof, at least, simply stops going up and down. The E30s I used to have would bend a 1/2" thick forged rod into a pretzel. At $160 a pop. Because the "excellent" German engineers felt that putting a 5 cent fuse on either convertible motor is not appropriate and everything that follows is an operator error.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:18 PM
throutt
AutoX

Hi, I just wanted to update everyone and ask two more questions. I believe the wind deflector blocked the top from going up because the little arm that attaches to the ball joint may have not been connected.

I purchased the wind deflector from ECS tuning and it is indeed the correct one except the zipper that attaches the cloth strap to the headliner is in the wrong direction. This has been pretty frustrating trying to get the correct part that fits. Can anyone verify the direction of the zipper on their headliner and wind deflector? At this point I'm not sure what to do, I imagine switching the direction of the zipper is difficult at best.

Secondly, assuming I am ever able to zip the wind deflector to the headliner how do you go about installing the boot without unzipping the deflector from the headliner?

Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it!

Tom
Old 01-18-2017, 06:31 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thomas Routt
Hi, I just wanted to update everyone and ask two more questions. I believe the wind deflector blocked the top from going up because the little arm that attaches to the ball joint may have not been connected.

I purchased the wind deflector from ECS tuning and it is indeed the correct one except the zipper that attaches the cloth strap to the headliner is in the wrong direction. This has been pretty frustrating trying to get the correct part that fits. Can anyone verify the direction of the zipper on their headliner and wind deflector? At this point I'm not sure what to do, I imagine switching the direction of the zipper is difficult at best.

Secondly, assuming I am ever able to zip the wind deflector to the headliner how do you go about installing the boot without unzipping the deflector from the headliner?

Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it!

Tom
Zipper is in the wrong direction probably because you have GAHH roof and for some unexplained reason they ran zippers in the wrong direction on some of their roofs (ask me how I know, I've owned 3).

Switching the direction on the zipper is very easy. A shop would cut the zipper out of the flap and re-sew it in reverse. 20 minutes of work with a beer break in the middle. A tailor shop would do that as well.

On my current cab the zipper runs from driver's side to passenger's side to zip up.

Not sure I understand your question about installing the boot. Than again, I don't really use the boot. But there should not be an issue.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:47 PM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

To install the boot cover with the zipper on you just fold the flap on the boot under the boot rather then having it hang down into the back seat.
The zipper should start on the same side as the little arm and ball and zip towards the opposite side. (Drivers side to passenger side)
Old 01-18-2017, 09:55 PM
throutt
AutoX

So as it turns out the headliner has the zipper in the right direction and the brand new Porsche Genuine wind deflector has it running in the wrong direction -_-

I suppose I will take it to a a tailor shop and ask them to reverse it, thanks for the advice.

I will try try putting the boot on that way, don't know why I didn't think of that myself, ha!

Quick Reply: Wind deflector with fixed rear seats