I have a theory

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 05:34 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Funny, I thought that's what horns were for; to alert other drivers of your presence?
Sure. And also of your self-importance and the status of your car.

Driving down the center as to avoid cars backing out and giving a light tap of the horn when potential threats come into view isn't a-hole behavior, is it?
Now, look at it the other way. You just got into your car, put it in reverse and looking around for obstacles before moving out. At that very moment some.... motorist.... honks his horn for no reason.

PS. I'm not a good driver on the street. I freely admit that. I try to be defensive. And I do honk the horn sometimes (less so in a P-car). But honking at everyone... no.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:45 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Sure. And also of your self-importance and the status of your car.

Now, look at it the other way. You just got into your car, put it in reverse and looking around for obstacles before moving out. At that very moment some.... motorist.... honks his horn for no reason.

PS. I'm not a good driver on the street. I freely admit that. I try to be defensive. And I do honk the horn sometimes (less so in a P-car). But honking at everyone... no.
Couldn't he be honking to let the guy whose car is in reverse let him know he's there? But I guess horns are there only for self-importance and status, and the guy who posted who you responded to was honking the horn at everyone.

Got it!
Old 12-17-2016, 09:34 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Couldn't he be honking to let the guy whose car is in reverse let him know he's there? But I guess horns are there only for self-importance and status, and the guy who posted who you responded to was honking the horn at everyone.

Got it!
I, personally prefer to look ahead and stop. Honk only if the guy's already moving. But that's just me. As I've said, I'm not a good driver. Nor do I think that 993 is anything other than a car.

PS. I live in a city, Actually, in two cities. Honking horns are a serious issue. You might or might not be aware of that.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:30 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What's a horn? Not sure I've ever used one in a 911, since 1980. Other cars? Once a year, if that.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:52 PM
user 723923490
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
What's a horn? Not sure I've ever used one in a 911, since 1980. Other cars? Once a year, if that.
I use my horn every time I hit a bump.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:25 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 211 Posts

Just add supercups....
Old 12-19-2016, 01:29 AM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
What, then, do you do when the driver stopped in front doesn't notice that the light has changed to green?
Old 12-19-2016, 02:48 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

True story...

I once lived in a neighborhood where there were a lot of cross streets. This guy would drive down the street beeping his horn at EVERY cross street. this went on for weeks. One night I parked in the driveway facing out, left the keys in the ignition.

Sure enough 11pm, the f**ker drives by, I ran outside, full pajamas barefoot, and took off after him. Found him pulling into his driveway not far away.

"um hey, any reason you beep your horn driving by every cross street?"
- why yes, to alert others I am driving through the intersection.
- Okay, well, they have a stop sign, I can hear you in my house at all hours, it's disturbing, please stop doing this.

The guy did stop the beeping! but this was the last straw, so I sold the house and moved.
ppl and their horns...

Last edited by EMBPilot; 12-19-2016 at 05:24 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:44 AM
sacman
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
I have found that as cars get taller and SUVs / Crossover's have become the norm our 993 sports cars are all about invisible to drivers of adjacent cars. I have found the blind spot for other drivers when we are near them extends to the entire right side of the car and also includes the left rear quarter of most cars.

I end up driving like a motorcycle driver, trying to make eye contact with the other drivers to make sure they see me.

I believe driver assist advancements like adaptive cruse control and lane deviation warning systems encourages absentee landlord driving behavior on the part of the driving public.

Although I believe self driving cars are dangerous the day will come when DOT accident statistics will show we have encouraged absentee driving behavior to such an extent with driver assistance features that self driving cars statistically look safer than human controlled vehicles.

It will be a sad day when the public's driving skills have degraded to the point where self driving cars look safer even though they are not safe when compared to a situationally aware human driver.

Other's thoughts?
Andy
While created by smart people, technology actually makes users more stupid.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:57 AM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
True story...

I once lived in a neighborhood where there were a lot of cross streets. This guy would drive down the street beeping his horn at EVERY cross street. this went on for weeks. One night I parked in the driveway facing out, left the keys in the ignition.

Sure enough 11pm, the f**ker drives by, I ran outside, full pajamas barefoot, and took off after him. Found him pulling into his driveway not far away.

"um hey, any reason you beep your horn driving by every cross street?"
- why yes, to alert others I am driving through the intersection.
- Okay, well, they have a stop sign, I can hear you in my house at all hours, it's disturbing, please stop doing this.

The guy did stop the beeping! but this was the last straw, so I sold the house and moved.
ppl and their horns...
In the late seventies, while visiting Athens, I noticed many drivers did this. Was the driver Greek? LOL.....
Old 12-19-2016, 10:08 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Andy said:

"Now when I drive down an aisle between rows of cars I drive right down the middle and as soon as I see a back-up light go in I honk the horn."

I don't think that's a such a bad idea. I frequently do the same thing, and I'm not constantly blowing my horn. It's a matter of being aware for the inattentive idiot who backs out without looking.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:02 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Driving skills are perishable so we all need to be aware. In CA, because we are such a dumb-assed PC state, don't want to discriminate against anyone, ever, a monkey can get a driver's license. I commute about 90 miles per day and the stuff I see daily is just beyond what one can imagine. The California Highway Patrol, instead of being on the freeways, which should be the main part of their job, are busy providing police services to the urban area cities that have gone bankrupt and lost their police departments because they gave all of their funds to the worthless drug users and thugs instead of hiring and paying the police. So asshats are free to drive like maniacs on the freeways and rarely do I see enforcement action. I am hoping we will see a slight swing of the pendulum.....
Old 12-19-2016, 11:24 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by sacman
While created by smart people, technology actually makes users more stupid.
This part of my argument against the Progressive movement's drive to a society void or personal responsibility living in the cradle of some sort of benevolent administrative state. The problem is when resources become scarce during the inevitable economic fall associated with the gross economic inefficiency of such a system, benevolent is transformed into malevolent.

Wikipedia: "Progressivism is a philosophy based on the Idea of Progress, which asserts that advancement in science, technology, economic development, and social organization are vital to improve the human condition. ."
Old 12-19-2016, 12:07 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a software developer and you would think that I would be embracing the coming Technocracy revolution. But I don't.

Kiss your freedom goodbye once Technocracy is ramped up to the next level.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:13 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
I am a software developer and you would think that I would be embracing the coming Technocracy revolution. But I don't.

Kiss your freedom goodbye once Technocracy is ramped up to the next level.
I think I need to get the TD together and running. That's about the amount of technology and Big Brother monitoring I want in my cars.

Quick Reply: I have a theory