Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Diminished Value Claim: Not a Myth

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 08:42 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Budget had the nerve to slap a 10% DV charge on a rental Mustang over the summer. (Hail damage that totaled the car.) This was Colorado, which I believe is one of two states that has case law on DV.

I never found out if the credit card primary insurance coverage paid up for that; just that they cut a check for $11K on a demand for almost $13K.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:34 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Cemoto
Oh, I know that, just wanted to point it out to others who may not realize how it works.

The same applies to most any insurance claim you make. For instance the first thing you want to do in most large dollar claims is to hire and independent appraiser (Which is really what Justin is).

Have you ever noticed the that when you enter a large city usually an insurance company owns one of the tallest buildings?

Thanks for the thread OP and I'm glad you got what you deserved. Although I'm sure you would much rather have a no incident car.

From a business standpoint, once your car is repaired it is probably the best time to sell it as it will never look better.

Regards,

al, gotcha. the car is my one and only, and so it's staying with me forever.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:38 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Budget had the nerve to slap a 10% DV charge on a rental Mustang over the summer. (Hail damage that totaled the car.) This was Colorado, which I believe is one of two states that has case law on DV.

I never found out if the credit card primary insurance coverage paid up for that; just that they cut a check for $11K on a demand for almost $13K.
how'd they get away with that? isn't hail considered and "act of God" or something to that effect?
Old 12-15-2016, 11:00 PM
rg0115
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

DV valuations are very real and they are becoming more and more common as consumers become educated on their options. I work for a company that actually can run Dv Valuations for insurance companies and it's one of our hottest products.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:10 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYT993
how'd they get away with that? isn't hail considered and "act of God" or something to that effect?
You rent the car, you accept the liability. Something to consider now that I've gone through it--you decline those insurance coverages they offer, thinking your credit card will pick up any claim? Yeah, most cases it's secondary. As in they'll pick up your $1K comp or collision deductible. Your insurance is who'll you be contacting. Only carry liability because your fleet is a bunch of POS? Could be in for a nasty surprise. Very few of the non-high roller cards offer primary coverage. Luckily, ours is one of them. (Not naming here in a forum for obvious reasons. Quick search should point you in the right direction.)

(The real crime in junk fees is "Loss Of Use." They have 100 cars in inventory to rent, they'll still charge you for 4,5,20 days at full book because they couldn't rent THAT car.)
Old 12-16-2016, 02:44 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Question for those with experience:

I had a car hit while parked, was hit by an (allegedly) drunk driver who fled the scene and reported (allegedly) the car stolen.

So, my insurance company paid the full repair, etc. car is fine, damage wasn't bad. Some wheel, suspension and a bumper cover. No body paint, etc. BUT, now there is a ding on the carfax.

My insurance company is now subrogating the owner of the vehicle. I do not know the outcome of the stolen vehicle case.

QUESTION: Can I go after MY insurance company for a DV claim?
Old 12-16-2016, 05:24 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
QUESTION: Can I go after MY insurance company for a DV claim?
I would say yes but any claim on your own insurance company, they will go after you to recover those cost. Your premiums will most likely increase on your next renewal.

I got dv on my minivan, lol so you will definitely want to get dv if you get in an accident. I just told the other guys insurance company I want diminished value and they gave me a very low offer. I went and got my own dv and it was much higher than what his insurance gave me. I ended up with a check for the amount that I wanted. So it's definitely not a myth.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:50 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
I would say yes but any claim on your own insurance company, they will go after you to recover those cost. Your premiums will most likely increase on your next renewal.

I got dv on my minivan, lol so you will definitely want to get dv if you get in an accident. I just told the other guys insurance company I want diminished value and they gave me a very low offer. I went and got my own dv and it was much higher than what his insurance gave me. I ended up with a check for the amount that I wanted. So it's definitely not a myth.
unsure how this works in other places but this is a no-fault non-chargeable incident so my rates will not increase.

now on DV, no idea.

Quick Reply: Diminished Value Claim: Not a Myth