Sponsored by: DashLynx

Keyless Go Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 03:31 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Keyless Go Installation

My ignition lock was showing signs of wear. Instead of replacing it (which would be expensive and a PITA to match the existing key), I converted to keyless ignition. I used the same Advanced Keys kit that Rennlister Modquench (Elie) had installed.

Installation was easier than I expected. My car is a late 95, with the immobilizer. I bought a Wong chip with the immobilizer disabled, and installed the relay bypass.

The AK system is comprised of two small electronics modules. One module provides keyless entry via a proximity sensor, and the other provides the push-button start functionality. I mounted the keyless entry module under the driver's seat, next to the factory immobilizer. All of the power connections were already available, I tapped into the wiring for the 8-way power seat. I tapped the "Lock" and "Unlock" signals from the module into the same same wires (Br/Gn and Br/Bl) that go from the immobilizer to the factory Alarm Module that is under the passenger seat. Before diving into the ignition wiring, I stopped and tested the keyless entry function. It works seamlessly with the factory alarm module. The factory alarm module continues to provide the same functionality that it always has, the only difference being that it receives the Lock (Prime) and Unlock (Unprime) signals from the AK module instead of the immobilizer. I installed one of the proximity sensor antennas underneath the parcel shelf cover, between the two rear speakers. The so-called "bypass antenna" is installed inside the driver's side rear quarter window, along the window seal (it is barely noticeable, the antenna is a small plastic rectangular block). I didn't bother with installing the second main antenna, these cars are small enough that a single antenna provides adequate coverage.

I installed the push-button start controller under the dash, near the ignition switch. Instead of cutting into the ignition wiring harness, I disassembled the connector and unsoldered the pins from the wires. I saved the pins and connector parts so I could switch back to the original "keyed" ignition if that is ever needed in the future.

I wasn't fond of the large plastic ignition button that came with the kit. It is a Lexus part that has a chrome trim ring around it. To me, it looked and felt cheap, out of place in the 993. I bought a nice black anodized push-button switch with a RGB LED bezel from Digikey, and mounted it on a black anodized "key surround" from Rennline. The anodized spun finish on the Rennline part is an exact match with the finish that is on the new button. I used a network of resistors and diodes (for isolation) to control the color of the LED based on the "ignition mode". When the ignition is off and the keyfob is out of range, the LED is off. When the fob is in range of the proximity sensor, the LED bezel lights-up green, indicating that it is ready to go. The LED turns Red if I select ACC and do not start the engine. After starting the engine, the LED glows a nice warm white that kinda matches the backlighting of the VDO gauges. I had to use 1% resistors to get the color and intensity that I wanted. I configured the controller module so that I have to hold the button to crank the engine, instead of using the tachometer input to allow the module to control the cranking based on a momentary push of the button. Having direct control over the cranking of the engine seems more in-line with the character of the car.

I know that purists will scoff at this conversion; but, I couldn't be happier with it. The car automatically locks and unlocks based on the proximity sensor, and I think that the ignition button looks & functions like something that could have come from the factory. Here are a couple of cell phone pics. It's hard to capture the real color of the LED and how well the finishes match on the push-button and the Rennline part.

I've had this installed for several months, with no problems. Being electronic, I'm sure something will fail eventually and need replacing; but, AK seems to have a pretty good track record for customer support. I have no affiliation with AK, just a satisfied customer.

Old 12-25-2016, 03:39 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Hmmm...I thought we buy these cars partly due to the lack of annoying electronics.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:05 PM
BlackSnake99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not my taste but I commend a job well done! Looks great.
Old 12-25-2016, 06:58 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I really like the idea and the install. Been wanting a keyless car for a while, since my pockets are overflowing with keys, cell phone, wallet, reading glasses. Not taking teh key out is such a pleasure.

One concern I have is this. What happens if you drive off without a key? We had it happen with a rental Cadillac. They brought it out running and we drove off. About 20 minutes later my GF asked where the keys are. Luckily, it was still running and we came back, but if we shut it down... What surprised me is absolutely no audio or blinking lights warning that it's out of range of the keys when it was already running.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:44 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
One concern I have is this. What happens if you drive off without a key? We had it happen with a rental Cadillac. They brought it out running and we drove off. About 20 minutes later my GF asked where the keys are. Luckily, it was still running and we came back, but if we shut it down... What surprised me is absolutely no audio or blinking lights warning that it's out of range of the keys when it was already running.
This system tries to account for those instances, by issuing a warning...

1. Key-Not-Found Reminder Function
    If vehicle door is open-then-closed while its running it will trigger system to search for the Smart Key 6 seconds after the brake is applied. Vehicle will do nothing if Smart Key is found. If Smart Key is not located, vehicle will double-chirp the horn and flash the parking lights 3 times. This to remind the current driver that the Smart Key is no longer detected and it needs to be present in the vehicle before it is driven to another location
I think that this particular system is well thought-out. Obviously, the driver would need to recognize the warning and act on it, so it is not fool-proof.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:47 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

That's awesome!!! I'm jealous with my 96', bc I cannot do the disable.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:54 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice install. Sounds like it works for you so excellent. I think push button start sounds very convenient.

As for me, am also with the old school camp, I like the old key with the old light that hardly works. It's all part of the heritage. If my lock wears out I'm replacing it.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:05 AM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts

nice job!
Old 12-26-2016, 09:34 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 736 Likes on 522 Posts

Nice install but I am more of a purist and fond of originality to my 911s. Great job.

Quick Reply: Keyless Go Installation