Sponsored by: DashLynx

Windshield Gasket too small

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 09:59 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Windshield Gasket too small

I was removing my outer windshield seal to address some squeak/creaks. The windshield and seal were replaced about two years ago with genuine Porsche outer seal. Unfortunately the seal tore when removing (got stuck to some sealant the installer used). Rats.

I picked up a new genuine seal from the dealer since they are on my way home from work and went to install it. It's too small! The width is too narrow (compared to the older seal) and the outer edge falls into the gap along one side of the body/frame. Holding old and new seal side by side you can see the difference.

Has anyone else experienced this with a new Porsche seal lately?
Old 02-21-2017, 11:04 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Just take both examples back to the dealer to show them your concern and they should have no problem making things right.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:56 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I was told by a 993 owner who recently replaced his windshield, that the smaller one is the only one available.

I don't recall the details... others may have more insight.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:28 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I had my windshield replaced last year. The glass shop seemed to be able to get a properly sized one.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:51 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

I replaced my seal a few months ago. At first look, it seems like the new seal isn't as wide. But once installed it was the same. Its all bunched up in the packaging and looked different. But if your new seal isn't installing the same as your old one. Then its probably a OE vs OEM part difference.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:20 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That's not a unique problem. I needed to replace the rear (windshield, not side) window seal on my '81 911SC. The fellow who did it, a very capable tech, got a genuine seal from the local Porsche dealer. He had a very difficult time trying to reinstall the window because the seal did not fit properly. When he bought a second seal and compared the two, you could see that the first one was defective.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:24 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Gap on one side only? Then the glass must be glued/fitted off centre? Serious glass fitters are a rare sight!
Old 02-22-2017, 07:51 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Front or rear windshield?

For the rear ws there are actually two widths and it depends on build date which you use. I have the service bulletin that discusses this.

If its the front ws there is only one trim seal. As the guys said above it's possible that the ws was replaced and not properly centered. This results in the trim seal "falling in the hole" for lack of a better description. We are talking off by a few mm here to cause an issue.

There are ways to fix this cosmetically if this is the problem by putting the foam rope in the channel to give the seal some backing to push it out. Think push up bra here.

The windshields on the 993 are quirky. You are welcome to contact me directly I'll help you through this. Michael.capocefalo@gmail.com.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:45 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911F1
I replaced my seal a few months ago. At first look, it seems like the new seal isn't as wide. But once installed it was the same. Its all bunched up in the packaging and looked different. But if your new seal isn't installing the same as your old one. Then its probably a OE vs OEM part difference.
Old seal (replaced about two years ago) and new seal are both genuine Porsche purchased at the dealer. The difference between the left side gap and right side gap between the frame and glass is probably 1 - 2mm, certainly within the margin of error for the installer. It looked a little smaller in the package but once installed on the front windshield the seal does not span the gap. Holding both seals in your hands one is clearly narrower.

Also, there is a faint little line worn into the paint that runs along the edge of the seal, just hidden under the old seal (the old original factory seal and the replacement from two years ago). This faint little line is exposed with the new, smaller seal.

The guy at the parts counter has been very helpful so far and is looking into getting another seal, possibly from an alternate source.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:00 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
Old seal (replaced about two years ago) and new seal are both genuine Porsche purchased at the dealer. The difference between the left side gap and right side gap between the frame and glass is probably 1 - 2mm, certainly within the margin of error for the installer. It looked a little smaller in the package but once installed on the front windshield the seal does not span the gap. Holding both seals in your hands one is clearly narrower.

Also, there is a faint little line worn into the paint that runs along the edge of the seal, just hidden under the old seal (the old original factory seal and the replacement from two years ago). This faint little line is exposed with the new, smaller seal.

The guy at the parts counter has been very helpful so far and is looking into getting another seal, possibly from an alternate source.
I had a sinking feeling you were going to mention this...I have the same line.

I was thinking if the front seal squeezes into a channel, like the rear; the seal does smoosh (tech term) and flatten out somewhat. Maybe this is the difference in width of the seal? But I see you already installed the seal and it doesnt flatten out enough.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:44 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Update: I purchased another genuine Porsche windshield seal from Pelican. I was hoping that perhaps they had a different stock or batch of seals than what the dealer had.

It arrived and I noticed before even installing it that it was a wider seal than the previous one. The difference is perhaps a few mm but noticeable just by eye balling it. I installed the seal and it properly spanned the gap between the body frame and the glass. I was relieved that I found a seal that fit.

Note - The ill fitting, narrower Porsche seal had a manufacture date of 2014. The proper fitting Porsche seal had a date of 2016.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:49 PM
user 723923490
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
Update: I purchased another genuine Porsche windshield seal from Pelican. I was hoping that perhaps they had a different stock or batch of seals than what the dealer had.

It arrived and I noticed before even installing it that it was a wider seal than the previous one. The difference is perhaps a few mm but noticeable just by eye balling it. I installed the seal and it properly spanned the gap between the body frame and the glass. I was relieved that I found a seal that fit.

Note - The ill fitting, narrower Porsche seal had a manufacture date of 2014. The proper fitting Porsche seal had a date of 2016.
Bad quality control then. I am shocked.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:55 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS

Very interesting and thanks for following up. Any chance you could measure the two seals and report back?

I have a seal that doesn't span the gap and just assumed they were all like that and required an absolutely perfect windshield installation.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:01 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

^^ Sorry, I returned the other seal to the dealer. At the parts counter we measured them side-by-side but I don't remember what they were. I would say it's about 3 mm difference, tiny but noticeable.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:47 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
^^ Sorry, I returned the other seal to the dealer. At the parts counter we measured them side-by-side but I don't remember what they were. I would say it's about 3 mm difference, tiny but noticeable.
No problem - that's understandable. Any chance you could measure the new one on the car? If it's much larger than mine, I'm ordering a new one from Pelican today.

Quick Reply: Windshield Gasket too small