Sponsored by: DashLynx

Epic Pads-Feedback Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 02:52 PM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Epic Pads-Feedback Needed

I'm thinking about replacing the stock pads to dustless..

I see Epic Friction Pads advertised in Excellence Magazine. Better stooping, no squeak.

Has anyone used them let me know if you like them and do they work better than stock. I cant stand the break dust anymore and the constantly cleaning the wheels on my MY02's.
https://www.epicfriction.com/catalog...he&v_model=911 (993) non-turbo&year=1995
Old 05-01-2017, 05:09 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,026 Posts

The difference between regular pads and so-called dustless is the color of the dust. The dustless ones leave a white dust that is much less noticeable.

Brake noise is the number one complaint professionals get concerning brake service.

My experience is that generally old school softer pads on a 993 tend to run quieter, however, many factors unrelated to the pad's hardness influence how noisy a pad is. Even direct experience feedback from others is not definitive as the surface conditions of their rotors, their state of run-out, how well the noise clips are attached if present, the cleanliness of the caliper and pad backing plate interface, among other factors may be different than on your car.

If the pads you are contemplating are not designed for competitive driving sometimes you just have to go with them and see what happens. If you have noise problems you can try different pads.

Buying premium priced pads for regular street use may not translate into lower noise or subjectively better stopping.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:15 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

I haven't used Epic pads, but I used Akebono Euro Ceramic pads (http://akebonobrakes.com/euro) on my old BMW 540. In my experience, there wasn't ANY dust, black, white or otherwise, compared to the OEM pads, not was there any squeak.

The biggest difference was that you had to use a bit more foot to get the car to stop. I actually liked it as I felt that the factory setup was a bit grabby. This allowed me to modulate the brakes much more effectively. YMMV.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:10 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They haven't made a peep yet, over a 1000 miles and counting.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:23 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Rockfit,

On the 993 I found the OEM pads to be acceptable as far as the amount of dust.

The 997 OEM pads were horrible and puked off steady streams of black dust on to a ten spoke Classic wheel impossible to clean.

Changed over to Hawk Ceramic like lots of the 997 guys. Probably 1/4 the dust generated. My point is that you may want to see if Hawk makes pads for the 993. Tire Rack was my source. They work as advertised and after bedding in no difference in stopping.

Also you can make cleaning and shedding dust more effective with ceramic coating the wheels and calipers. Also that Armorall spray product works well. I know some people use Rejex too.

Good luck.

Last edited by mike cap; 07-25-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:38 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
Rockfit,

On the 993 I found the OEM pads to be acceptable as far as the amount of dust.

The 997 OEM pads were horrible and puked off steady streams of black dust on to a ten spike Classic wheel impossible to clean.

Changed over to Hawk Ceramic like lots of the 997 guys. Probably 1/4 the dust generated. My point is that you may want to see if Hawk makes pads for the 993. Tire Rack was my source. They work as advertised and after bedding in no difference in stopping.

Also you can make cleaning and shedding dust more effective with ceramic coating the wheels and calipers. Also that Armorall spray product works well. I know some people use Rejex too.

Good luck.
+1 on the Amoral spray

After track event, woosh dirt/dust rinses away with no water pressure.

Quick Reply: Epic Pads-Feedback Needed