Sponsored by: DashLynx

Burglars are probing my car

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 03:59 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Burglars are probing my car

What would you guys do if you think burglars are trying to steal your car?
My neighbor told me two guys in Dodger gear and a plain white panel van were hanging out on my driveway looking at my garage door. My next door neighbor clicked her car alarm on the driveway next to my driveway and she heard one guy say run. My neighbor wasn't able to get the license plate number. I live in a gated community but we still get contractors rolling in from time to time. I should probably go talk to the guard at the gate to see if he has any info. Beyond that what else should I do? Pull the DME relay, install a kill switch? Any extra ideas are much appreciated. I raised my insurance policy this morning as well. Thanks
Old 05-17-2017, 04:19 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Name:  699624D1-84A2-4F7C-990D-6E010D18AEDC_zpsiqjqci5r.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  119.5 KB

Andreas
Old 05-17-2017, 04:25 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

They WILL be back.

Jack up the car and remove a wheel and stash it somewhere other than the garage.

Buy your neighbor some flowers.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:40 PM
Achtung964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get some motion activated cameras. I know every time some one is on my property via phone notifications. A dog helps too.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:44 PM
rrc715
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 78 Posts

They may have been casing your home and not necessarily your car. Here is my list for you to consider. That is if you do not have these already.

* Home alarm
* exterior camera system
* Zip-Tie your garage door emergency release
* secure home side walk-thru gates
* add a after market steering wheel lock "Club"
* Start a "Neighborhood Watch Program" with your local Law Enforcement ( or just exchange cell numbers with your neighbors and meet occasionally to discuss neighborhood safety issues, group text about suspicious activity)
* Always make it appear someone is home

Just some ideas. good luck
Old 05-17-2017, 04:46 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

These days you can get a pretty inexpensive wireless home security camera system with lights for your home that's motion activated. I'd set that up ASAP and pull the DME relay when you're not using the car. Also might be a good idea to place a cheap GPS tracking device in your car so if it does get stolen, you can call the police and track where it is.

Car thieves usually won't waste time on a car they can't have their way with right away, and they don't like knowing they're on camera. Most likely they'll move on to easier pickings.

If the car is rarely used and you don't mind the work of removing and putting the wheel back on, that will make it harder for them to put the car on wheel dollies and roll it to a tow truck they might use to steal your car.

They may not be back now that the neighbor made them, but a few little steps to make it hard for them to steal will probably prevent it from happening.

Good luck
Old 05-17-2017, 04:48 PM
rrc715
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 78 Posts

I should have added this to the previous post in case you are not familiar with it.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:31 PM
ECU Doctors
Former Vendor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm all good solutions and preventions but I just wonder how can a thief steal a 993 without the key fob remotes?

The fob's signal, goes to the Immo, it gets checked and matched to a rolling code, then the immo allow the ECU to run the engine.

Knowing what we know about the Porsche Drive-Block anti-theft system I find it very difficult to steal a 993.

Now if you give me a flat bed tow truck that's another story!
Old 05-17-2017, 06:03 PM
Tjlees
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the U.K., most thieves just put shaving foam on cameras out of shot so mount them high.

I'm storing in the garage which is part of the monitored alarm and separate zone. Cars got a tracker and is geo-fenced with separate fob.

If I'm away, I'll normally park another car in front of the garage and keys stored in safe.

I have got two ground anchors with gold standard locks when I was really OCD.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:34 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Just put a rope on the release that extends just to the inside face of the garage door and a large handle or tennis ball on the end they can hook it but will be unable to pull it to release the door. This in conjunction with replacing the release latch spring with a stronger one makes this sort of entry unlikely. I seem to recall the latch on my garage requires one to pull straight down to release it. In this case pulling it towards the door simply will not work. In the video it seems to be unclear at the key moment how it works.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:42 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 382 Likes on 238 Posts

What did the police say? You called them right?

/
Old 05-17-2017, 06:52 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 382 Likes on 238 Posts

- Home depot motion sensor flood lights. Dusk to dawn. Bright on motion. <$100 bucks.
- Arlo wifi battery powered indoor outdoor camera. Motion captures video, sends you a text and writes the video to the cloud. Free cloud service. About $250 bucks.
- "Smart things", Apple home kit, or IFTTT enabled motion sensor. This can be programed to "turn on certain interior lights if the motion sensor goes off", "set the Arlo camera to record if the motion sensor goes off", or "send you a text if the motion sensor goes off", or even "sound the ALARM if motion sensor goes off". $50-$250 bucks.

Secure the garage. Talk to all of your neighbors. Double-check your insurance policy.

/
Old 05-17-2017, 06:59 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for your input! I have a ton of ideas to work with now. First thing on the list is to zip tie
the garage door. Then go get some cameras and mount them up high. I have two dogs, but if the burglars go thru the front garage door, then they won't encounter the dogs in the backyard. My neighbor heard the dogs barking and thats why she decided to go look and see what was going on. The dogs acted like an alarm and did a good job grabbing someones attention. I need to give them some treats tonight.

I'm always suspicious when I see someone drive by my house slow. When I have the garage door open working on my car. A few times this has happened. Someone most likely tipped off a car thief friend and told them my location. I might take one of the wheels off for the now. I do drive the car almost every weekend so putting it back on all the time would be a pain. A nice size safe to store the keys in is a good idea also. I'm going into full fortress mode when I get home tonight.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:02 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatmike
What did the police say? You called them right?

/
I was just notified by my neighbor this morning. Do you think the police would do anything at this point? I guess giving them the description of these guys isn't a bad idea.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:04 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,389 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Move to a better neighborhood.
Get a dog, a BIG dog, or, at the very least, put a big dog bowl outside your garage door.
Sell the 933 and buy 3 or 4 996s. Nobody will steal one of those.

Quick Reply: Burglars are probing my car