-20 combination wrenches
-109 sockets
-20 hex keys
-Magnetic bit holder
-10 screwdriver bits

Standard & Metric Combo:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-230-p...1&blockType=G1
Includes:
-quick-release ratchets in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch drives, with 116 sockets in both metric and standard measures and 6 and 12 point
-Two extension bars
-Six combination wrenches in standard and metric
-Magnetic handle with 12 nut drivers, inch and metric, and 50 screwdriver bits
-40 hex keys

Any opinions on which is better to get? Thanks guys!
Old 05-22-2017, 01:07 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the method of acquiring tools is a pretty personal decision that gets learned just from doing. When I started wrenching on cars, I bought one of those "all-in-one" kits like you posted, and as I had projects that used different pieces, I found myself pretty disappointed in the quality or usability. So I switched to just buying the pieces as I needed them. For example, I bought a nice individual 80 tooth ratchet and some normal SAE and Metric sockets and ratcheting box ends. Then I as I grew in need, pick up what you need from a quality manufacturer. Like deep sockets, impact sockets, wobbly extensions, 12-points, etc. Its more expensive technique, but you get quality pieces that will likely outlive you.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:35 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by phoneyman
I think the method of acquiring tools is a pretty personal decision that gets learned just from doing. When I started wrenching on cars, I bought one of those "all-in-one" kits like you posted, and as I had projects that used different pieces, I found myself pretty disappointed in the quality or usability. So I switched to just buying the pieces as I needed them. For example, I bought a nice individual 80 tooth ratchet and some normal SAE and Metric sockets and ratcheting box ends. Then I as I grew in need, pick up what you need from a quality manufacturer. Like deep sockets, impact sockets, wobbly extensions, 12-points, etc. Its more expensive technique, but you get quality pieces that will likely outlive you.
That's very good advice. Its what I've been doing so far and based on your comments, i should probably continue doing it. Thanks!!
Old 05-22-2017, 01:54 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

The all metric set would be better for working on the 993 specifically but the combo set would be better if you plan on working on anything else like older American cars, or other things like your lawn mower or other power equipment. Unfortunately the combo set is lacking in box end/open end wrenches which are critical for working on Porsche's in which access to fasteners is often very limited.

I think I would be looking at the combo set and expand it with some box end/open end wrench sets right away.

Last edited by The Brewmeister; 05-22-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:58 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I would not be concerned about getting the number of pieces as much as the maker of the quality tool pieces. No need to go Snap On but would look for a higher quality tool than Sears today. Sears used to make quality tools at one point but not anymore.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:19 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
I would not be concerned about getting the number of pieces as much as the maker of the quality tool pieces. No need to go Snap On but would look for a higher quality tool than Sears today. Sears used to make quality tools at one point but not anymore.
I have learned that Sears tools have for some time now, been sourced in China.

Sure they still replace broken tools, but I'd rather have the quality without the hassle and inconvenience of returning.

I've purchased USED Proto, Mac, Snap-on, Bluepoint, and other quality brand-name tools on eBay in building my tool set. I,e.,Tap & die, allen head sockets, torque wrenches...

I go to Harbor Freight for normally expensive, one time use tools.

Last edited by nine9six; 05-22-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:29 PM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...set-62664.html

Similiar price point with same quality, IMHO.

Now that Black and Decker bought Craftsman, maybe they will elevate them back to what they used to be. So what do Rennlisters consider better, but not quite Snap on ? (just curious)

Like others have said get a set like that for base and realize that you will be adding to it.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:58 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I would go all metric. Lowes has better tools than craftsman, but all of the mass market stuff is junk now (back in 2000 kobalt from lowes was made by the same people as snap on and I love those and my old craftsman are good too). I have 99% of what I need, but if I were you I would buy old craftsman or kobalt (or better) off craigslist.

JH Williams is under the snap on umbrella and is about 1/4 the price. They used to make kobalt.

Also, get a very good set (two sets are better) of Allen head sockets.

Last edited by evilfij; 05-22-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:09 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 272 Posts

Keep in mind, in all probability, no matter what you buy, the tool you need, you won't have and will have to stop and go find it. I've been wrenching on cars for well over 50 years and, even now, I'm still buying tools.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:10 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go for the metric only set. It looks pretty good with both 6 and 12points sockets.

For the price of $121, you can't even get a socket set from Snap-on.

Unless you have $$$, the Snap-On equivalent of that metric set is for sure >>$1000.

As you gain more experience/skills, you will know which pieces to swap out for the Snap-On. And they WILL be worth it!

It's not just the tool set, but also the user. You jank and crank, you're gonna damage things. I did all my maintenances and top end rebuild using a Craftsmen tool set. And, yes, I did eventually get a Snap-On wrench set with the bitey-thingy feature. It never fail to latch and bite into the bolt/nut that I am removing. OF course, you learn how to position the wrench and know when to back off the pressure.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:13 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reviews on that Harbor Freight look good. Have not purchased their sets before. Might be a decent option.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:25 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Stop by Harbor Freight for all kinds of inexpensive ideas. A toy store for grown men!

One of the hand tools I found is best purchased as Snap-On or Craftsman are flair (brake) fitting wrenches. The inexpensive ones have heads that flex and will distort tight fittings before they pop loose.
I particularly like Harbor Freight's hand impact driver to break loose stuck screws.
Other may have differing opinions but I like their medium size torque wrench for wheel mounting
They have an outstanding selection of abrasives, cutting and buffing tools.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:41 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

The more expensive (and better fitting tools, i.e. Snap-on) really make a difference when you have to deal with a corroded fastener. And for certain sizes that you know are used a lot, you are better off just spending the extra money now. For anything more than a one-time use, even if only to save your sanity... At a minimum I would buy a 3/8ths drive 10mm, 13mm sockets plus 6mm and 8mm hex socket drivers from Snap-on or the equivalent. Their comfort grip flex head ratchets are really good too but expensive. The thing is the ratchet will be your most used tool!
Old 05-22-2017, 05:05 PM
Sigs993
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

The low end of good quality would be Gearwrench - pretty nice stuff actually.
I wouldn't buy a starter set though, I'd just pick the sets I need and build that way.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:13 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Though it is true that you will need to buy more tools along the way, a good quality, basic tool kit is the best way to start off imho - i'd go metric and standard if you live in US. I have a Crescent brand tool kit I bought from Costco several years ago and takes care of maybe 75% of my needs around the cars and house and boat. It is compact and is the first thing I grab when I tackle a problem. I have a large rolling two section tool box with a lot of other tools that I have collected over 30 years as well. Craftsman is good, and this Crescent set has been fabulous.

Quick Reply: Starter Tool Set