Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Contemplating life without my 993...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 03:10 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Sounds like a well thought out plan. Let us know in a year or two how it worked out.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:31 PM
12mpg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good call, you never know how or when your life will change. When you become CEO of whatever tech company / granola co-op you work for, you will be glad you kept it.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:41 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by K964
Never love anything that can't love you back.
oooh, i like this comment
Old 07-11-2018, 02:32 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

Sell it......focus on family life....don't worry about a high mileage car in storage that will deteriorate quicker......come back into 993 market later in life if you want to or buy a newer Porsche lower mileage or new when your finances are able.......eliminate the emotional with this particular car.....
Old 07-12-2018, 05:21 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You’re still young...

someone very wise once said, “you come to this world with nothing and leaves with nothing.”
my analysis of your situation:
Pro: you’re in 30’s
Con: you live in SF/Bay area (one of the most expensive living cost next to NYC)
Pro: you already have had 993
Con: you have a wife and she’s thinking of kids/family
Pro: you’re still young! Save save save.
Con: you need reseal /Top end soon. $$$$
There were many great advices here.
It’s your call and hope it works out for you!
GL.

Last edited by f8vr993; 07-16-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:42 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
Okay..... . . . . . I read your post. Clearly you are not in the "Financial Condition" to afford the car and get it properly fixed. Car has like..... 186K miles on it. SELL IT! GET RID OF IT! Family comes first before any material thing I own period. Get your priorities straight first, "you will thank me" ... someday if you listen BUT START NOW! I have been in the Financial Services Area for 20+ years specializing in Credit Risk Management. I have become so Jaded over the years seeing the way people financially operate in life. Personally, they haven't had the proper education and I blame our society as a whole because this should start in MIDDLE SCHOOL! I have seen just about every situation. People loosing their homes in the Great Recession, out in the street with no where to go with their little kids, cars repossessed and on and on and on...... Don't know how people sleep at night! No savings (and believe me I see it ALL THE TIME) and care about material things over family (not saying you are the case.) People may appear "well to do" on the surface but peel back the layers and it's typically not the case has been my experience for 20+ years in the business.

1. Sell the car! Just get rid of it.
2. Prioritize your wife / family FIRST!! "Do so before you loose her..it's not easy finding a good one!" TRUST ME! I have tons of friends that prioritized cars / material things over relationships and they are super lonely. Some may say they don't care but most are lying.
3. Get a Condo or House that you OWN and will add value to your Net Worth some day.
4. SAVE! SAVE! SAVE! Max out your 401K or invest for your future through Real Estate or Land!
5. Have some kids to balance yourself out. *They will change you for the better*
6. Save up when you are in the position "PAY CASH" after everything else first....Get another 993 someday "Low Mileage" when you are Financially fit.
ON THE HEAD, THE NAIL HAS BEEN HIT!
I have read, enjoyed and followed your posts up to the point of tying the knot... because of your age, I figured it wouldn't be long before you and the wife decided it was time to start a family.

Immediately my head was saying, he needs to get rid of that high mileage car (money pit) and focus on his family, as I believe you were contemplating on selling for the purposes of getting married, right?

It's no longer just you, and your current financial situation should dictate loud and clear what you should do...

Wishing you and your family the very best in your upcoming decisions, Spyder_man.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:26 AM
windydog
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can I ask a question?
i am one low on funds, so to supplement my car I fix it myself.

Why not study how to fix it yourself?
These cars are much easier to work on than you think.

I saw the part that you mentioned is the cause, I an estimate you could diy for 1k at most.

There is a brother hood that I would say who would help you out. Heck they might pay you to work on your car.

If you lived near me, I would help drop your engine for you. Ask 996, I am serious.

Good luck. I have more time than money myself.

WD

Old 07-13-2018, 10:01 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 272 Posts

This thread is just over 1 year old. Inquiring minds want to know...What did the OP do?
Old 07-13-2018, 10:18 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've listed the car for sale here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...n-project.html

Thanks for all the sage advise provided within this thread. While I am not afraid of a DIY job, I don't have the workspace or the tools on hand to tackle something as involved as an engine rebuild. Plus I'd be doing it all following a book/manual and would likely screw something up along the way. I'd rather leave this to a professional.

While I can afford to keep the car around on mothball status, I'd rather see it go to a new home that can afford the restoration at this point so that I can free up income that will help my growing family (wife and soon son) save up for a home purchase. Starter homes around here start at $700k so saving up for a down payment is no small task...

Quick Reply: Contemplating life without my 993...