Sponsored by: DashLynx

TPC Supercharger and LW RS Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 12:05 PM
ekimerpud
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default TPC Supercharger and LW RS Flywheel

I picked up a used TPC Supercharger recently and I'm preparing for the install. I've decided to drop the motor and transaxle for the install, as I'd like to cleanup the engine bay and take care of some various maintenance items at the same time. Since the motor and transaxle will be out of the car, I'm debating installing a RS Lightweight flywheel and a new clutch at the same time. Within the TPC install instructions, it states that the DME must be stock. I've read that the LW Flywheel may cause stalling issues. My car is a '96 993.

Do I need a different DME to avoid stalling issues or will the stock setup work fine?

Any other tips on the install of this combination (TPC and RS LW Flywheel)?

My car has ~80k miles, what maintenance or performance add-ons should I tackle while the motor is out?

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:35 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 189 Posts

My RSA had a TPC supercharger and a LWFW w the stock DME. It stalled.

Steve Wong can make you a stock chip for LWFW... Wait, your car is a '96. Nevermind. You need a new DME to make a chip/flash work.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:54 PM
ekimerpud
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
My RSA had a TPC supercharger and a LWFW w the stock DME. It stalled.

Steve Wong can make you a stock chip for LWFW... Wait, your car is a '96. Nevermind. You need a new DME to make a chip/flash work.
What's the best place to pick one up?
Old 06-16-2017, 03:58 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

IIRC starting with 993 production year 1996 the DME (w/ODB II) compensates for any idle/stall characteristics brought about from a lightweight flywheel.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:14 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
IIRC starting with 993 production year 1996 the DME (w/ODB II) compensates for any idle/stall characteristics brought about from a lightweight flywheel.
this is also my understanding, that only '95 had stalling issues. I have no issues with LWF on '98 (except for the noise , which was actually barely nocicable unitl I added FDM tranny mount and took AWD out).

also, I recall that '96 has different chip compared to '97-98 that can't be programmed or swapped (?), somebody more knowledgeable can probably shed more light on this.

edit: yea what Ilko said about '96 is what I heard....probably from him
Old 06-16-2017, 04:49 PM
ekimerpud
Rennlist Member

If the 96 DME is good to go, that would be ideal!
Old 06-16-2017, 06:51 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Very timely as I as thinking about the same upgrade.

My upgrade list (the "while I'm doing this") also includes:
- Full 60K service w/ all belts/ plugs/wires
- Rennline engine carrier reinforcement upgrade
- Goldenrod/ SSK
- Motor mounts (re-reading every thread I can find to figure out "best" for street only car)
- ?

I'm about 6 months from start of this project, but really want to hear what else you plan to do plus the suggestions from the collective experience on this forum.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:06 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 189 Posts

It is true that OBD2 cars "learn" to compensate for the LWFW. But I am not sure how the supercharger and custom piggy-back software affect that. Check with TPC, they have plenty of experience.

95 cars have a chip that can be removed and a new chip installed. Just did that in mine. 96 cars have some voodoo magic that prevents tuning. 97-98 have soldered-on chip but if you ship your DME to a tuner they can write a new file over.

You can buy a 95 or 97-98 ECU and tune it. It would be plug and play. But they are not cheap these days, even on the used market.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:19 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a 96 993 and installed a LWFW a few years ago. I had absolutely no stalling issues.

since then I have put RS cams in and had stalling/idle issues fixed by putting in a 97 ECU with RS map done by none other than Mr. Steve Weiner. Motor work was done at Rstrada.

96 pretty much requires a 97 ECU to do reflash. There are daughter board solutions, but are highly unreliable and not recommended. Good luck finding a 97 ECU, they are NLA from Porsche.

Needless to say, I am a very happy customer of both and recommend those mods highly. Only thing left would be a re-gear, but we all know that won't be cheap.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:00 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

I have had a tpc supercharger for several years now. Didnt do the LWFW to avoid potential issues you describe. The SC alone is plenty to wake up the engine and change the character of it. So i would ask what you hopeing for with the LWFW.
Another thing to consider is the fueling. We first went with unichip and 7th injector but werent perfectly happy with it and ultimately went with larger fuel injectors and remap which i have been very happy with. Just something to consider as you get ready to do this.

Bill
Old 06-18-2017, 11:18 AM
ekimerpud
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by clib
I have had a tpc supercharger for several years now. Didnt do the LWFW to avoid potential issues you describe. The SC alone is plenty to wake up the engine and change the character of it. So i would ask what you hopeing for with the LWFW.
Another thing to consider is the fueling. We first went with unichip and 7th injector but werent perfectly happy with it and ultimately went with larger fuel injectors and remap which i have been very happy with. Just something to consider as you get ready to do this.

Bill
I was looking at the LWFW as I've heard it really wakes up the engine and due to the fact I'll have the motor out and will be changing the clutch. What were you not 'perfectly' happy with the 7th injector setup? I've had boosted cars in the past and always did the larger injectors and remap. I believe I'm fairly limited with the stock ECU. What setup did you end up with?
Old 06-18-2017, 02:35 PM
windydog
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am about to do the same, 95 with a LWF and a Remapped ECU. Does anyone know if the SC will behave with the GIAC chip?
Old 06-19-2017, 12:38 AM
clib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ekimerpud
I was looking at the LWFW as I've heard it really wakes up the engine and due to the fact I'll have the motor out and will be changing the clutch. What were you not 'perfectly' happy with the 7th injector setup? I've had boosted cars in the past and always did the larger injectors and remap. I believe I'm fairly limited with the stock ECU. What setup did you end up with?
it was a number of years ago, so excuse any lapses in details of the symptoms, but we had a hard time getting the unichip programmed right and then problems with cold idle the first couple minutes after startup when outside temps were low (30-45 or so). We first went through the routine of shipping the unit back and forth to tpc but finally bought the cable to allow the shop to tune the unichip system themselves. Lived with it for a year or so. Others have not had an issue with it, so may have been unique and TPC was great trying to get it tuned. But the shop doing it felt more comfortable that going with the larger injectors would be more straightforward and direct (i can find the records and tell you which injectors specifically if you need) and then sent the ecu to protomotive in Arkansas. The fueling since has felt OEM and does seem more direct.

Regarding LWF, i cant help much except to say the engine is very woke up with the supercharger alone. It is great. the SC also adds some cabin noise and if the LWF also adds some Noise and vibration something to consider.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:59 AM
gridlock61
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the TPC Supercharger installed by TPC on my '95 993 3 years ago (7th injector and no intercooler). I had some hesitation and engine check light issues at first, particularly in warmer weather. I sent the Unichip back to TPC; they changed something in the programming which helped with engine check lights, but did not solve the hesitation problem in warmer weather. Earlier this year I had the TPC ntercooler system installed by a local wrench; it made a HUGE difference. No more hesitation, and a nice bump up in power. The setup now works very well; I would not recommend in my experience installing the kit without the intercooler.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:24 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

We also installed the intercooler and for intake temps and engine longevity i think this is a priority. I also had an air intake temp and AFR gauge installed at the suggestion of some on this forum and have found them useful.

Quick Reply: TPC Supercharger and LW RS Flywheel