Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hi all - newbie dropping by

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 02:33 PM
Capitano
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi all - newbie dropping by

Hi all, I've just signed up as about to take the plunge into 993 ownership, but I have a dilemma – which one to buy?

I’m buying the best I can afford and it’s come down to two cars, both same price from Porsche independents, both (apparently) in well cared for condition with full service histories:

1. 1994 Sunroof Coupe Tiptronic in Silver 108k miles
2. 1996 Targa Tiptronic in midnight blue, 98k miles

I’m drawn to the Targa, coming from an Audi convertable, but personally not a fan of the convertible 993. But I don’t know about the reliability of these roofs and from a possible resale pov, if the market looks for Coupes over Targas should I wish to sell in the future?

Appreciate your thoughts!

Many thanks
Old 07-04-2017, 03:05 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

It's all been said before - do a search. BUT, the targa's resale now, is lower than a coupe. It is now, & will either stay there or possibly go up if people start to like the more rare targa more.
So, I would not consider comparing resale when buying.

As far as the reliability of the top, as long as it's taken care of, it will work fine. If you are not mechanically inclined & do have to repair, it can be costly.

My .02c
Old 07-04-2017, 08:06 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Cars with these many miles on them should have had a few of the major items done recently:
  • Rebuilt steering rack
  • Replaced lifters
  • Rebuilt distributor
  • Replaced Struts

These items can be expensive to have serviced or replaced so I would look into which car has had them done and how recently
This may help you in your decision.
Andy
Old 07-05-2017, 08:41 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

GAV and u7t2p7 speak the truth here.

I think GAV's point below is most critical when debating targa ownership, "As far as the reliability of the top, as long as it's taken care of, it will work fine. If you are not mechanically inclined & do have to repair, it can be costly. "

The bottom line is that targa 993s are extremely rare - almost twice as rare as the 993TT and 4x as rare as the other WB cars. That means that mechanics with a track record of repairing them quickly and correctly are even more rare, like nonexistent rare. As a result, I've seen many well intentioned, but ultimately incorrect, repair jobs performed by mechanics on targa roofs over the years. Most times these were simple errors that should never have been made if only the mechanics would have spent 20 minutes going through the official Porsche repair info online.

That being said, the targa roof assembly is absolutely awesome. I was driving a 993 coupe just yesterday and kept thinking how much I miss the targa. They really are special cars.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:00 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Cars with these many miles on them should have had a few of the major items done recently:
  • Rebuilt steering rack
  • Replaced lifters
  • Rebuilt distributor
  • Replaced Struts

These items can be expensive to have serviced or replaced so I would look into which car has had them done and how recently
This may help you in your decision.
Andy

LIFTERS? Give me a break. If the engine is well cared for you may not need to crack the seal on it for another 100K. Check the service history- get a PPI with a compression check. if it's bad, then MAYBE it's time for a valve job, but that's no "automatic" for a 100K car.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:14 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 736 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by PRSWILL
LIFTERS? Give me a break. If the engine is well cared for you may not need to crack the seal on it for another 100K. Check the service history- get a PPI with a compression check. if it's bad, then MAYBE it's time for a valve job, but that's no "automatic" for a 100K car.
Agreed Will! Key is records / history and PPI done by a proper P-Car shop familiar with our cars... NO EXCEPTIONS!!! If not ... the car will cost you thousands out of pocket!! Check for Oil Leaks! These cars leak oil and if bad leak it needs addressed! If you need a Top End or Bottom End Rebuild GOOD LUCK!!!! Don't skimp on a PPI!!!!
Old 07-05-2017, 04:02 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Aside of dropping the engine, (Not sure if this job can be done with just lowering the engine a bit.) Crack the seal on what; the valve covers?

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...air-101-a.html
Old 07-05-2017, 05:41 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Hello and welcome to the forum! Whenever you settle on the perfect 993, take a look at the link below to our site's DIY tech articles. These are going to be extremely helpful if you're planning on doing the maintenance/repairs yourself. Please let us know if you have any questions!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/911/911t...icles_late.htm
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-05-2017, 08:50 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 736 Likes on 522 Posts

^^^ Very True!
Old 07-06-2017, 12:50 AM
jcochran1
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I believe lifter failure is more common than the above comment makes it sound, based on the fact that there was a lot of online support around here when I did mine at around 125k. I also wouldn't consider removing valve covers as cracking the seal on these engines, plus it can be done with the engine in the car.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:11 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,025 Posts

LIFTERS? Give me a break. .
There are twelve lifter cartridges that cost $70+ each. When the oil seals fail they no longer retain their oil and the engine sounds like a bucket of bolts rattling around at startup. I had this issue at 70K miles and many others have had this experience as well. The cost of this repair will likely be well in excess of $1500 so I would, yes, call it a major repair expense worth knowing if it has been done recently.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:29 AM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pp000830
There are twelve lifter cartridges that cost $70+ each. When the oil seals fail they no longer retain their oil and the engine sounds like a bucket of bolts rattling around at startup. I had this issue at 70K miles and many others have had this experience as well. The cost of this repair will likely be well in excess of $1500 so I would, yes, call it a major repair expense worth knowing if it has been done recently.
Not trying to pick on you but given that logic, a buyer should look for a car to have had all expensive components replaced....regardless of their likely (expected) lifespan.....and in a 993, there are many of them. My car needed transmission work not identified by the PPI at 70k, but in most examples of 993's the G50 will go for many miles. Do I suggest to the OP he insists on a tranny rebuild? It might be great to see a rebuild by a quality shop at 100k but I know I wouldn't insist on it.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:54 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 292 Posts

The 911 in general is an incredibly well-built car and if treated properly, will run for a very long time without a rebuild, valves/lifters, etc. WITH THAT SAID- there are exceptions to everything but it is unrealistic to try an cover all issues- usually the car will be priced accordingly and a PPI should give you some insight as to what you're potentially going to deal with.
Not trying to say that just because you needed lifters at 70K that you didn't take care of the car- but that is NOT the norm for a 993 or any Porsche for that matter- and i'd be willing to bet that every certified Porsche mechanic would agree.

Steering racks- YES they go at around 100K
valve cover gaskets- same or earlier in MANY cases
Distributors- possible.
SAI valve/clean-out- same
Clutches- I have seen them go 175K- all the wear occurs in the first 7-10 MPH of releasing the pedal

I agree with Drisump - it's unrealistic to cover everything. If that's what you want, don't buy a used car- especially a 20 year-old one. Frankly, a LOT of the hi-milers ( including mine) are in much better condition that a lot of the "queens" out there with dried out seals, belts and hoses.

OP- I hope you're not scared off by all of this. The 993 is one of the best 911's you can buy and a blast to drive. just do your background on the car and pull the trigger if it checks out.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:06 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I see in your profile you are in the UK, which answered my 1st question about a 1994 993.

There's a lot of love for OBD1 here at the forum, so I assume the 96 would be OBD2 and have the Drive Block (and potential for SAI) we all hate.

I have a great 1997 C2S, but still long for a 1995 993 Coupe without sunroof as it would be "simple", OBD1, etc.

Service history / PPI results would rule the day for me. Not necessarily between those 2 cars, but possible whether or not to buy that particular 94 coupe (I'm not partial to Targas).

Cheers!
Old 07-06-2017, 05:13 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

I think there may be some confusion in the thread around lifters vs. a valve job (top end rebuild). I think its reasonable to expect lifters to have been replaced by 100k miles, that's a pretty common wear item. Valve job can be needed at 100k or it could be needed at 250k. Since oil consumption is the easiest way to tell - without cracking the motor - you need to trust the previous owner's description.

The 100k list of maintenance completed should include:
- Lifters
- Suspension (struts as well as rubber components that wear with age not miles)
- Plugs, wires
- Clutch and DMF should be checked if not replaced
- Varioram vacuum components (for the 96)
- Brakes and lines
- Competent alignment with proper kinematic toe

If all this has been done, the car has been well cared for and you can enter with confidence. If a few are missing, they are probably going to be due soon and factor that into the price. If none has been done, or there are no records, find a different car.

Quick Reply: Hi all - newbie dropping by