Sponsored by:

Drivers side turbo oil leak, no smoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 07:39 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Drivers side turbo oil leak, no smoke

I did some quick searching. Maybe the oil filter or loose fitting? I get a 1-2" puddle of oil under the drivers side turbo. Oil level is at the end of the stick. No noticeable smoking from the exhaust.

Thoughts?
Old 01-04-2019, 07:26 AM
Vince964T
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JEllis
I did some quick searching. Maybe the oil filter or loose fitting? I get a 1-2" puddle of oil under the drivers side turbo. Oil level is at the end of the stick. No noticeable smoking from the exhaust.

Thoughts?
If you don't get smoke on start up then may be you are lucky and it's just the oil line into the turbo that has started to leak ? Clean everything up and try and see where the leak comes from, turbo housing, pipes above, connection between turbo and oil inlet line or from the turbo sump.

How long does the car seat in between starts ? Mine was leaking from the drivers side turbo as well, and just some moisture on the passenger side, but I would not get smoke unless it sat for a couple of weeks or even more. If started regularly it would leak but not smoke. Bad turbo seals on mine.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:15 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Also oil filter... dunno unless it was a while back you changed it. The current ones at Porsche centers are ok. Of course I guess the valve may fail over time.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:18 AM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

So the check valves were recently replaced on this car and the drivers side turbo supply/check valve was about 1/8th of turn loose. I had driven the car about 2000 miles from NH to TX and it had probably slightly backed out. All good now.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:35 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Originally Posted by JEllis
So the check valves were recently replaced on this car and the drivers side turbo supply/check valve was about 1/8th of turn loose. I had driven the car about 2000 miles from NH to TX and it had probably slightly backed out. All good now.
Happy days !
Old 08-07-2021, 06:46 PM
CayenneOne
Track Day

Location: Some place on Earth they call Florida close to an area where hurricanes play with houses on wheels.
Default New problem starting ...

Well 4 months ago I was smelling the coolant and found out I have a cracked coolant tank. I have not been able to order one yet with current medical bills situation so have been topping off every day with water. 2 days ago I noticed a oil burn smell but thought it was the car beside me. I parked at home today and smelled it again so I popped the hood. There was a small bit of smoke from driver side only. I checked my dipstick and it has plenty of oil almost at the MAX mark. It does need changing it roughly has 9800 or so miles and it is 5W- 30 full synthetic. I can do the oil change myself for around $40 and am about to order a new coolant tank as well finally. It has the new coolant pipes and Tees already. Asking here first if I should do this or is something worse probably happening? I read about the valve cover gaskets and it does have 153K miles on it. Never overheats and if I forget my warning for coolant level goes off and I fill it and only happened once. Only used back and forth to work around 60 miles total each day M-F and 20-30 Sat and Sunday but I am in Florida and it has been getting really hot lately. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:47 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CayenneOne
Well 4 months ago I was smelling the coolant and found out I have a cracked coolant tank. I have not been able to order one yet with current medical bills situation so have been topping off every day with water. 2 days ago I noticed a oil burn smell but thought it was the car beside me. I parked at home today and smelled it again so I popped the hood. There was a small bit of smoke from driver side only. I checked my dipstick and it has plenty of oil almost at the MAX mark. It does need changing it roughly has 9800 or so miles and it is 5W- 30 full synthetic. I can do the oil change myself for around $40 and am about to order a new coolant tank as well finally. It has the new coolant pipes and Tees already. Asking here first if I should do this or is something worse probably happening? I read about the valve cover gaskets and it does have 153K miles on it. Never overheats and if I forget my warning for coolant level goes off and I fill it and only happened once. Only used back and forth to work around 60 miles total each day M-F and 20-30 Sat and Sunday but I am in Florida and it has been getting really hot lately. Thanks.
Hope you own a 996TT and not a 993TT.
Old 08-08-2021, 04:01 PM
CayenneOne
Track Day

Location: Some place on Earth they call Florida close to an area where hurricanes play with houses on wheels.

2006 S Titanium non turbo with 4.5 V8. Didn't think Titanium was opted for turbo.
Old 08-08-2021, 04:03 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CayenneOne
2006 S Titanium non turbo with 4.5 V8. Didn't think Titanium was opted for turbo.

Ahhh you are posting in the 993 Turbo forum in a thread about leaking 993 Turbochargers.
Old 08-08-2021, 04:06 PM
CayenneOne
Track Day

LOL oh man After I replied to you I realized OOPS right problem wrong thread aaarrgghh! (Forehead smack). Doing oil change today myself for 1/3 cost at Ocala Porche but was searching last night and thanks to Google it put me at this thread. Any way an admin can bump me to the right board or should I repost there?

Quick Reply: Drivers side turbo oil leak, no smoke