Sponsored by:

Smokin at start-up. But this time blowing a quart of oil out

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 10:13 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smokin at start-up. But this time blowing a quart of oil out

I’ve been able to avoid the check valve instal. I’ve become an expert at ensuring that I (1) have the correct filter and (2) the correct torque on the filter.

And I’ve only had smoke when I’ve done one of those two things wrong in the early years But this season I was a little late to get it out from storage. (I even park it on an incline on ramps in storage for the winter.... because I heard Porsche did that in racing event)

But something went wrong this year again it stayed in storage for another four months longer than usual and I have a smokescreen that would make James Bond jealous

Also while I was waiting for the smoke to clear in idle it actually dripped out about a quart of oil I believe from the turbos And the turbos are saturated in oil.

When it’s smoked in the past it would usually just clear up in a mile or two But I did not drive the car this time because of the amount of oil that I saw.

My question is: I think just driving this smoke off this time is a bad idea because I could damage the turbos I think Do you all think just draining the oil from the turbos from the drain plug is sufficient?

It’s back on its incline. I just don’t want to make a misstep

Thanks in advance

joe
Old 07-03-2019, 10:20 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridin Dirty
My question is: I think just driving this smoke off this time is a bad idea because I could damage the turbos I think Do you all think just draining the oil from the turbos from the drain plug is sufficient?
No. Things just don't self correct themselves. Something is not right. And getting the check valves installed is one important starting point. You have some major cleaning involved. And probably a turbo rebuild involved. Reach out to Kevin at Ultimate Motorwerks.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:52 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

I would def drain the oil from the Turbos, simple enough to do and try starting it again. So you park the car with front inclined down or back? If that is the only thing you changed this year in storage it's likely the culprit.

By the sounds of it and given the length of time the oil has poured into your Turbos and been sitting there, you might be in for a rebuild. Fingers crossed not the case.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:56 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you overfill the oil?
Old 07-03-2019, 11:12 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

No certainly not an overfill it’s kept at an oil level just above the red right in the sweet spot in the lower third of the twistie stick. Not my first rodeo here I have always taken pride by the proper filter with the proper torque and the incline ( nose lower ) that I never needed the check valves For some reason this time luck ran out the oil did get sucked back I don’t know how it could do that against gravity but here i am. I will try to drain of course but if she smokes longer than five minutes I guess it’s time for professional help.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:36 AM
tacker
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The design of the scavenge pump and oil line routing is marginal at best. In the past I've had similar issues. I have a flapper style check valve on the outlet of the sum parts tanks going to the pump and a check valve on top of the turbo. This arrangement helps but once I forgot to reconnect the vent line to the sump tank after a spark plug change and I completely flooded the turbos. When the car is cold and at idle the oil pump puts more oil in the sump then the scavenge pump can consume. Or at least is on the ragged edge. Put a .04 restriction on the oil inlet take the vent off and do a cold start to see if oil comes out the vent port . If it does, maybe you can reduce to a .03 beyond this the turbos bearing journal is worn or the shaft rings are worn or damaged.
before you test first drain the sump tanks then a cold start
Old 07-04-2019, 08:26 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recommend you install the check valves and P trap scavenger oil lines

I bought mine at RUF De, perfect fit
Old 07-07-2019, 04:17 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I would definitely try the check valves. Draining the turbos is very very easy. I have also heard that over long storage periods, oil can pool inside the motor.

EDIT: I would also check the connections at the check valves. My drivers side came about a turn loose and was leaking slightlyl.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:32 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

i'd disconnect the cold side input and pressure side hoses to drain any oil, take the intercooler off and wash all the oil out.
I've had turbo bearings go bad on the track before where the intercooler/intake got quite a bit of oil. I turned the engine off as it was spurting oil out of the exhaust, then a few mins later, the engine wouldn't turn over again as it was hydrolocked with oil... I always thought it strange that both turbo bearing went at the same time, but funny things can happen.
Lucky I didn't break any internals.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:20 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

^ now it is clear why you bought a spare motor..
Old 07-08-2019, 01:31 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Ugh update

i think there is oil throughout exhaust.

Oil dripping from.....get this.....one of the fabspeed headers.

Jeez i really realy think i did no damage to anything b/c i didnt let it run long nor did i spool turbos but jeez....all b/c i didnt drive her for over 9 months.

i should probably take the whole exhaust off right? (Ugh!). Swish gasoline around in everything etc....
that oil will burn off eventually but if i let it do that i think i will cook turbos....right?

thanks

joe
Old 07-08-2019, 04:33 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Turbo Kraft

These work great. Never seen smoke and tt is stored for 4 to 5 months every winter....

Quick Reply: Smokin at start-up. But this time blowing a quart of oil out