Sponsored by:

Help with large oil leak from Left turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 04:49 PM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Help with large oil leak from Left turbo

This is my first time posting at the turbo forum and i'm hoping for some good advice/insight into imminent repairs needed on my 97 turbo. I'll start by saying that I've owned this car since 2005 and it has a tick over 24000 miles on the clock. Im NO mechanic. I very rarely drive the car any longer and it sits on a lift above one of my other cars (life sometimes gets in the way guys). Sadly its been in storage essentially for over a year. (BTW i'm not looking for comments on my lack of use of the car..I know...so please just positive comments)

I went to get the car out last week and noticed a pool of oil (maybe 1/4 liter). Tried to start the car...smoke, blowing oil out of left exhaust pipe (literally unburnt oil), and check engine light going off. Rather than driving and doing an damage (duh) i trucked the car to my local shop. After looking at the car (initially) they recommend rebuilding the Left turbo (and the right). This car has been mostly trouble free. I've done regular maintenance and never had any major leak. It was doing this same thing 2 years ago (although not nearly as bad) around 10/17 and nothing was needed (cleaned up, oil change, rec possible check valve upgrade and/or turbo rebuild, oil return driver side tightened fitting). 11/14 the left side valve cover was replaced.

My car is now stuck at the shop. I really have to go with their recs and i'll fix what needs to be fixed. On big fixes i usually like to get a second opinion which i can't really do unless i truck the car to a different dealer. You guys on this forum have been so insightful in the past. Ive poked around and i wonder if it could be something less serious like the wrong oil or wrong filter etc. My indy shop has also mentioned possibility of valve guides (i hope not!) Thanks in advance!
Old 11-02-2019, 06:29 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

As with other threads on the subject, its hard to say without seeing pics of the turbo. If its a large leak, and its obvious that the oil seeping around seals, then a turbo rebuild makes sense. However, it could be coming from the feed lines to the turbos. Sometimes a line or fitting can be loose. Happened to me. Or, it could be a check valve that isnt working if the car had sat for a while.

Had the car sat for a while?
Old 11-02-2019, 06:50 PM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

yep...Car has been sitting for approximately 18 months....
Old 11-02-2019, 07:05 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andrewjn
yep...Car has been sitting for approximately 18 months....
Uhhh these cars dont like sitting. Oil backs up and pools in all kinds of places. I would clean it up and drive it. If its still leaking, then think about taking some "next steps".

Edit: The car likely has a bad or slightly bad check valve. Hard to say since its been 18 months and that is a lot of time for oil to seep through seals/valves. You probably have an issue but its probably not as bad as you or the shop thinks. If the shop is familiar with 993 Turbos, you should make sure they know that the car has sat for 18 months.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:02 PM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Okay so the shop is planning on starting work on Tuesday next week. I could tell them to clean things up, be sure the correct filters and oil was used. With winter coming here in the midwest i don't think i will be able to drive it much longer before the snow and salt. I could also have them install check valves. Everything is original. I am under the impression that check valves are an aftermarket addition to the lines?
Old 11-03-2019, 12:42 AM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Okay so the shop is planning on starting work on Tuesday next week. I could tell them to clean things up, be sure the correct filters and oil was used. With winter coming here in the midwest i don't think i will be able to drive it much longer before the snow and salt. I could also have them install check valves. Everything is original. I am under the impression that check valves are an aftermarket addition to the lines?
If you don't have check valves then you should definitely add them.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:59 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Was the oil changed just before it sat for 18 months ?
Old 11-04-2019, 10:53 PM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Oil was changed right before it was parked. I will swing by the shop tomorrow morning and speak with the guys more before I give the final go ahead to begin the work and remove the turbos and send them off to be rebuilt. I just don't want to have them doing unnecessary work.....I realize it's all on me for letting it sit....but unless anyone else has good ideas I'll just go ahead with what they recommend...
Old 11-05-2019, 11:53 AM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Where are you sending your turbos for rebuild? ...just interested. Thanks
Old 11-05-2019, 08:47 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a lot of info on here but this is my experience. Never had an oil problem in 10 years and finally blew a turbo. Had both turbos rebuilt and had nothing but problems just as you describe. Put on the 996 check valves which did nothing. Finally put on the turbo return lines from Patrick Motorsports and no problems since.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:28 AM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

DJN i don't know exactly where the turbos are being sent. I was told and honestly i forgot. I know they are going somewhere in Arizona. I can get more information if you'd like. I can't imagine there are many spots in the country where this kind of work is done. They will add a kit which includes check valves etc that apparently remedies most of the oil problems...execpt my lack of miles on the car which will change. Fortunately there is no other problem with the motor;l just spark plugs which were ruined with all the oil.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:51 PM
muttster
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Similar issue in Aug...lot of smoke out of left exhaust with oil dripping (right Turbo issue)...both turbos sent out for rebuild...reinstalled turbos better but still smoke out of left exhaust...right turbo sent back for 2nd rebuild and TurboKraft lines installed...ok so far.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:01 AM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

DJN i don't know exactly where the turbos are being sent. I was told and honestly i forgot. I know they are going somewhere in Arizona. I can get more information if you'd like. I can't imagine there are many spots in the country where this kind of work is done. They will add a kit which includes check valves etc that apparently remedies most of the oil problems...execpt my lack of miles on the car which will change. Fortunately there is no other problem with the motor;l just spark plugs which were ruined with all the oil.

Perhaps. TurboKraft in AZ? .......let us know how it turns out.
Cheers!
Doug N
Old 11-20-2019, 09:19 PM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Yes! The shop doing the work is TurboKraft. Unfortunately my car is still at the shop awaiting the rebuilt turbos. We are also installing a turbo oil feed/return kit from TurboKraft to hopefully avoid this kind of problem again. I'll keep you guys up to date...
Old 11-21-2019, 10:51 AM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Turbos

Just had mine rebuilt through TurboKraft. Chris is a great guy and he outsources this to a partner who handles all of his turbos.. Amazing work of art. They arrived to me yesterday.

You won't be disappointed!! PM me if you'd like additional info. I stayed with the same K16/16 outers but did all the billet upgrades inside. Well worth it and keeps original look with better technology than was available in 97'. Lighter billet wheels/shafts, will spool quicker than before and with less heat.

Quick Reply: Help with large oil leak from Left turbo