Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

let me ask you a question, how do you get oil on the outside of the turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 09:26 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts
Default let me ask you a question, how do you get oil on the outside of the turbo

Aside from the My cousin vinny reference, im getting a bit frustrated as my tt likes to leak oil on the outside of the turbo. Top, bottom, everywhere. Hard to tell from where as the air blows it around while driving. The top of the tin has a bit of sweat but this is a decent sized leak. All on the cold side btw, nothing on the center section or burnt on oil on the hot side.

Anybody exeperienced this?
Thanks

Old 05-30-2020, 12:40 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

You might have the leak coming from your power steering pump/reservoir or failing PS line (crimped end)

The next thing to check is leaking/failing turbochargers, undo the clamps on the turbocharger inlet boot and see if you have standing oil inside the black inlet tubing/compressor housing.

Old 05-30-2020, 04:06 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kevin
You might have the leak coming from your power steering pump/reservoir or failing PS line (crimped end)

The next thing to check is leaking/failing turbochargers, undo the clamps on the turbocharger inlet boot and see if you have standing oil inside the black inlet tubing/compressor housing.

Thanks for chiming in kevin.

Powersteering fluid is all full and no apparent leaks there. The inside of the turbo inlet has a small amount of oil mist, but nothing out of the ordinary. Even the top part of the turbo has oil on it. Its weird.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:29 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I just changed the oil in mine. I got impatient with the 9th quart and overflowed the filler slightly. I learned that if oil overflows the filler it drips down onto the right (passenger) turbo compressor housing....
Old 05-31-2020, 04:21 PM
EntropyChaser993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me guess, the right side turbo. Usually is. Check the oil supply inlet on top for leaks around the fitting, crush washer, etc..
Or, was there an oil fill overflow event? If so it could be oil pooled in the tin and dripping down.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:42 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah I would check your oil supply lines. If you have check valves, make sure they are tight.

Additionally, your intercooler pipe appears to be in bad shape or poorly secured at the bottom. I found that a lot of "blow by" oil can pool at the bottom of the pipes and get oil all over the turbos given enough time.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:18 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by s14kev
I just changed the oil in mine. I got impatient with the 9th quart and overflowed the filler slightly. I learned that if oil overflows the filler it drips down onto the right (passenger) turbo compressor housing....
I'm always militantly careful about this, first time was a mess as it is for most people, but I learned quickly.

Originally Posted by EntropyChaser993
Let me guess, the right side turbo. Usually is. Check the oil supply inlet on top for leaks around the fitting, crush washer, etc..
Or, was there an oil fill overflow event? If so it could be oil pooled in the tin and dripping down.
Passenger side, yes. No overfill and the tin, while covered in a bit of mist, but certainly nothing pooling. Its not a minor leak so I would think I'd see this if it was an issue. Will check the supply lines

Originally Posted by JEllis
Yeah I would check your oil supply lines. If you have check valves, make sure they are tight.

Additionally, your intercooler pipe appears to be in bad shape or poorly secured at the bottom. I found that a lot of "blow by" oil can pool at the bottom of the pipes and get oil all over the turbos given enough time.
Yup i have a replacement hose on the way. I don't have much oil in my intercooler so I'm guessing this isn't causing the problem, but i will check that out also.

Thanks guys.

I'm starting to consider that it may be a bad lower valve cover gasket that is blowing oil all over the place
Old 06-01-2020, 08:34 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Yup i have a replacement hose on the way. I don't have much oil in my intercooler so I'm guessing this isn't causing the problem, but i will check that out also.
My intercooler is dry as well. For some reason the "blow by" hangs out in the intercooler pipes and builds up around the lower clamps. At least that is what I have noticed. It does not take much to make a mess. I swapped to the beefier S Car Go intercooler pipes and T-clamps. I dont have many miles on them yet so I am not sure if they are sealing better around the turbos.

Old 06-02-2020, 10:04 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

My intercooler is dry as well. For some reason the "blow by" hangs out in the intercooler pipes and builds up around the lower clamps. At least that is what I have noticed. It does not take much to make a mess. I swapped to the beefier S Car Go intercooler pipes and T-clamps. I dont have many miles on them yet so I am not sure if they are sealing better around the turbos.
Funny I just ordered a set of the sCAR go hoses also.

If I'm honest, my car needs to have a bunch of gaskets and stuff replaced anyway, so will drop the motor this winter and tackle some of this stuff anyway, but hopefully the hoses help.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:29 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

If I'm honest, my car needs to have a bunch of gaskets and stuff replaced anyway, so will drop the motor this winter and tackle some of this stuff anyway, but hopefully the hoses help.
I bought a full set of hoses when S Cargo had a group buy few years back. Let me know if you need it earlier.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:04 AM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

The hoses are a giant PITA to install. They are a much tighter fit than OEM and the OEM hoses are a pain. However, they are longer which is great for using quality clamps and getting a good seal.

I needed to use a breaker bar, sharp edges taped up, to muscle the hose into position. Good quality product despite fitment issues. If I had to do things over, I would have cut up the tin engine tray to give more room. I only removed the collar as threads here have suggested.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:30 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The hoses are a giant PITA to install.
I concur. They are decent quality but I'm almost inclined to buy a factory set of hoses and replace the S Cargo hoses I have every time I have to R&R them to do work. The indent for the spark plug wires is extremely tight.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:51 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s14kev
I concur. They are decent quality but I'm almost inclined to buy a factory set of hoses and replace the S Cargo hoses I have every time I have to R&R them to do work. The indent for the spark plug wires is extremely tight.
Yeah that one spark plug on the passenger side really digs into the hose for me. I think next time I do some major maintenance I am going to trim the engine tray quite a bit. Drivers side is fine.

Quick Reply: let me ask you a question, how do you get oil on the outside of the turbo