Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has Anyone Here Installed the F--Speed X Pipe and Sport Cats on their TT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 10:35 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Has Anyone Here Installed the F--Speed X Pipe and Sport Cats on their TT?

Hello all, looking for a little advice please.
Quite a few years back I purchased a lightly used F--Speed set-up with the X pipe and sport cats but never installed them. Does anyone have any experience with them on their TT in regards to fit and finish? I've seen a couple of photos where the X pipe seems to hang low and the bumper cover does not cover it. I know I would not like that. Does the bumper cover it completely? The used one I have has a few pavement scratches on it even though it is lightly used.
My car has just over 100k miles and is a high quality re-paint so i'm not so much concerned with originality. One might say just try it, you can always put it back to stock, while that is true it is a hassle. I did notice the F--Speed heater boxes have a round tube exit for the silicon hose rather than the factory oval.

The car runs great which is why I haven't installed the X pipe and sport cats and I do have the muffler bypass tips on and am happy with that sound but slowly the curiosity is getting to me.

Purposely I did not spell out F--Speed as those guys search then pop up and make claims I'd rather not hear.

One of my other cars has the X pipe set-up and it did really improve breathing.

Thank you in advance . . .

Old 11-18-2020, 02:52 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I did - sold them after a few miles and built my own. I was looking for a better sound mix, the "portal" they put between the two sides is quite small so at idle the car still sounded like two 1800cc engines. - to get maximum mix, I used the biggest X pipe I could fabricate, and I welded up my own system using 3" stainless tubing, probably overkill. :-)

The quality of the parts is pretty good, but it's a very snug fit and a bit finicky to get right. I did not notice any difference in power, but my car's engine/turbos/ecu is 100% stock, and I did not measure it, just using the butt dyno. They do go lower than the stock pipes so are just visible from the rear - I like the look but if you are looking for the stock pipe height, they are not.

At the end of the day, it depends on what you want it for. I wanted a way better idle sound, perhaps a bit of whistle from the turbos, and to know the backpressure behind the turbos is as little as possible. I could not find a system that did that for me so I built one. BTW, that took a LOT of work so totally appreciate the work that went into building any of these replacement exhaust systems ..

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-18-2020, 08:15 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Hi Mike,

I remember when you did this and the thread, it was right after I had purchased mine. You are probably the reason I didn't install mine! It didn't seem like it would make that much of a difference. But, the parts are still up in my loft so I'm considering using them. Currently I'm running it without the mufflers and am happy with that sound. When you installed the F--speed units did you do the muffler delete tips?

Thank you.

Al

Old 11-18-2020, 02:41 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You know how it is - exhausts are 100% subjective, and even video is not good due to varying quality of the microphones. Even standing beside a car
is not enough, you need to drive it.

I tried it with the fabspeed tips - too loud for me. I ended up with gutted mufflers and that was better. My main goal was to get rid if the putt-putt sound at idle - the fabspeeds sortof did that, but I wanted a better mixing of the two sides to get a more even rumble tone.

If you have it, why not install it if you can DIY and see for yourself? If the units are new using
them will quickly discolor the pipes and reselling is harder (not as pretty as a full polish) so that might be a factor.

I have played with the idea of another system I would build with switchable open/closed exhaust, but hard to find the energy or time.

Cheers

Mike

Cheers

Mike

Old 11-18-2020, 03:42 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J

hard to find the energy or time.
Yes, same here, and that is why they are still in my loft. On start up with the muffler delete tips it sounds a bit like a motorboat but once the cats warm up it has a nice rich sound. I'm not interested in re-installing the mufflers due to heat build up and weight. My chain case gaskets are due for replacement so I'll have the exhaust off anyway I just didn't want to install the aftermarket unit and have it hang down and then be too loud also. Doing the R&R twice is not fun and then there is the issue of potential the O2 sensors getting damaged. I guess the only way to find out is to try it but I'm not in a hurry, obviously. LOL.
Thanks for chiming in.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:54 AM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have 3 exhausts. Stock, Fabspeed pre X-pipe and Fabspeed X-pipe. The Fabspeed X-pipe does resolve the "putt-putt sound" as Mike J calls it. Currently I run the Fabspeed pre X-pipe with no cats and no mufflers. It sounds like my diesel Kubota tractor on steroids. Only detriment is it raises a bunch of questions from folks so you might get too much attention. I'd embrace the putt-putt sound. It's unique. I have a bunch of other exhaust notes (Turbo 4, V6, V12) if I just want a classic exhaust note.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:57 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Older turbo cars are very hit or miss when it comes to "desired" sound. There are typically only a few things one can do to REALLY wake up the car, whether you go catless, or muffler bypass, it really become so subjective. Back in 1995 when we designed our products, we designed packages that can be installed peice by piece. All modular system will allow you the ability to acheive the sound and performance you personally are after. Upgrading cats is always a great place to start as factory cats are usually full of carbon or already on the way out. From there you can go with high flow mufflers or even a muffler bypass if you want to get rowdy! Either way, we are here to help wake up your TT! Black Friday Sale starts today, so feel free to take advantage of the years best pricing!

• Fits all Porsche 993 Turbo / Turbo S vehicles (1995-1998)
  • Constructed from T304 stainless steel, C.N.C. mandrel bent tubing for maximum power and exotic sports car sound.
  • German imported 200 cell catalytic converter cores which increase throttle response and horsepower.
  • Modular sport-cat design which is a quick switch utilizing V-Band clamps from a daily driver to a track oriented 993TT. Cat-bypass Pipes purchased separately.
  • CUP air intake system works with stock OEM airbox and includes high performance BMC F1 air filter.
  • This package complies with warranty and emissions.
  • No Check Engine Light
  • All Fabspeed performance products are backed by the Fabspeed Lifetime Warranty

Old 11-20-2020, 10:48 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Good to see people still support our cars.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:07 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by s14kev
The Fabspeed X-pipe does resolve the "putt-putt sound" as Mike J calls it. =
Sound is a matter of personal opinion - the fabspeed system I installed had the portal and IMHO did not resolve the "putt-putt" sound, it did change it but still it sounded like two 3 cylinder engines at idle, like a tractor. I just think the portal between the sides is too small to get a good mix of sounds. It was irritating enough (again personal choice) to sell the brand new system and build my own which mixes much better and gives me the sound I want. :-)

Cheers,

Mike

Old 01-19-2021, 08:40 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mike - I'm giving this thread a bump and sending you a PM.

Best,

Al

Old 01-20-2021, 10:41 AM
johnneurauter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed FS sport cats and bypasses way back when, so not sure what generation the cats were, they're from like 06 or 07. Still have them on. Yes, the motorboat startup is sometimes amusing, but sometimes annoying, but always short lived.

My only major issue with them is they're a little crooked. Driver side tail pipe extends a little further and seems a little lower, though I think mainly it just extends a little further out. You can see this in the back pic of the yellow car in the video. I had a shop try to heat them up and bend them a bit, but that's not an easy feat when they're already built. They ended up welding a band around the center to tuck in the driver side a little and told me that if I ever hear a loud pop that it could just be the band finally snapping

I still have my stock cats (which fouled) and stock mufflers and would love to have the cats re-stuffed and mufflers lightened up if anyone has a good recommendation on where to do that. I recall Kevin used to do the cats.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:23 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnneurauter
I installed FS sport cats and bypasses way back when, so not sure what generation the cats were, they're from like 06 or 07. Still have them on. Yes, the motorboat startup is sometimes amusing, but sometimes annoying, but always short lived.

My only major issue with them is they're a little crooked. Driver side tail pipe extends a little further and seems a little lower, though I think mainly it just extends a little further out. You can see this in the back pic of the yellow car in the video. I had a shop try to heat them up and bend them a bit, but that's not an easy feat when they're already built. They ended up welding a band around the center to tuck in the driver side a little and told me that if I ever hear a loud pop that it could just be the band finally snapping

I still have my stock cats (which fouled) and stock mufflers and would love to have the cats re-stuffed and mufflers lightened up if anyone has a good recommendation on where to do that. I recall Kevin used to do the cats.
The F speed set up I bought about 5 years ago lightly used is the X pipe type not the modular shown in the video. I wonder why they did not use the factory hang straps with that?

Anyway, cats are off as of this morning and I'll pick away at it. Thanks for the reply. As far a mufflers goes, no one does it better than Fister in my opinion.

Regards,

Al

The following users liked this post:
Blue TTop (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 04:29 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
Older turbo cars are very hit or miss when it comes to "desired" sound. There are typically only a few things one can do to REALLY wake up the car, whether you go catless, or muffler bypass, it really become so subjective. Back in 1995 when we designed our products, we designed packages that can be installed peice by piece. All modular system will allow you the ability to acheive the sound and performance you personally are after. Upgrading cats is always a great place to start as factory cats are usually full of carbon or already on the way out. From there you can go with high flow mufflers or even a muffler bypass if you want to get rowdy! Either way, we are here to help wake up your TT! Black Friday Sale starts today, so feel free to take advantage of the years best pricing!

• Fits all Porsche 993 Turbo / Turbo S vehicles (1995-1998)
  • Constructed from T304 stainless steel, C.N.C. mandrel bent tubing for maximum power and exotic sports car sound.
  • German imported 200 cell catalytic converter cores which increase throttle response and horsepower.
  • Modular sport-cat design which is a quick switch utilizing V-Band clamps from a daily driver to a track oriented 993TT. Cat-bypass Pipes purchased separately.
  • CUP air intake system works with stock OEM airbox and includes high performance BMC F1 air filter.
  • This package complies with warranty and emissions.
  • No Check Engine Light
  • All Fabspeed performance products are backed by the Fabspeed Lifetime Warranty

993 TT Performance Package
Why on earth would you want to fit that filter cover on a turbo? Just crazy! Not even a schoolboy error, more like a fetus error!
Old 01-22-2021, 02:23 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
Why on earth would you want to fit that filter cover on a turbo? Just crazy! Not even a schoolboy error, more like a fetus error!
That is our High-Performance Carbon Fiber Airbox cover, proven to gain 10+WHP and increases throttle response.

Old 01-22-2021, 03:11 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Oh dear....................I fear you have dug yourself a rather large hole.

Im sure you will get some helpful replies soon but do you know why the turbo has the snorkel on the airbox?

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Here Installed the F--Speed X Pipe and Sport Cats on their TT?