Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contemplating buying an already modified 993 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 08:02 PM
Freednuts
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice looking car. How many miles? What mods have been done?
Old 08-13-2022, 12:05 PM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

First full day of test driving today, but photos first:

Old 08-13-2022, 09:36 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 156 Posts

So its a euro car?
Old 08-14-2022, 08:05 AM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by racer959
So its a euro car?
Yes, it's originally a German market car. 191,000 km, now 192,000 km, on the odometer. All the wear items were replaced in the suspension at a Porsche dealer six years ago to the tune of EUR 25,000. The front end has been painted with factory colors because of scratches. So far, I think only the headlight indicator lamp has been found wanting. Also, the speedometer shows excessive speeds, like 9 km/h over at true 100 km/h -- both analog and digital are in synch but over. There's a "Nokia" panel under the driver left hand armrest which I have no idea about, wonder what that does.

Out of the mouths of babes, the first driving impressions... My 16 year old daughter and I took turns with the car and she gave the casual review:
"It's very cool. It's not that fast, but it sure makes noise! Kind of the opposite of my car. I like it."
A younger daughter wondered why anyone would ever buy a car without a cup holder, place for a phone, and phone charge jack. I didn't ask her about the contraption that looks like a c-casette storage behind the driver right elbow...
Old 08-14-2022, 01:38 PM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Default The car is getting a lot of thumbs up

Both from relatives and in-laws as well as random dog waking older dudes. Whereas the snowboarding kids are all over my E63S, here it’s the older contingent who were teenagers in the 1990s that love this car.

The car is not that fast under accelerations (if the comparison is modern high-powered cars) but it really does stop very fast when you really push the lightly assisted brake pedal to the floor.

The car comes out corners under full throttle very well. Is that the four-wheel drive or something else?

At what power and torque levels would a full throttle exit from a turn become less predictable? In other words, how much more power can this car handle while still being safe in a mediocre (looking into the mirror, yes, that’s me) driver’s hands? Regular street tires.
Old 08-14-2022, 05:08 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ptuomov
The car comes out corners under full throttle very well. Is that the four-wheel drive or something else?

At what power and torque levels would a full throttle exit from a turn become less predictable? In other words, how much more power can this car handle while still being safe in a mediocre (looking into the mirror, yes, that’s me) driver’s hands? Regular street tires.
pcars in general accelerate well out of corners as most of the weight is out back which helps grip. They feel the best in corners if under braking (to the apex, the weight on the front wheels help turn in), then on throttle and accelerate out past the apex. They start to feel uncomfortable if not braking or accelerating, not good to coast through corners (or at least you won’t be going that quickly). The front wheel drive does help traction and at the limit can help pull you out of a corner when the rears start to slip, the front wheel drive also reduces the the torque to the rear wheels so it limits power oversteer, but can be a little unpredictable. Most feel it is a safety feature to limit power snap oversteer that 911turbos are known for (By splitting the torque front and rear).

The second question is a bit difficult to answer. I think there is only so much grip so in a corner and coming out, you’re splitting the grip between cornering and accelerating, so you can over come the grip with less power if taking that corner faster… I’ve been sideways (unintentionally) many times with stock power and 4wd coming out of corners. Less of a problem in the same corner with r compounds. In rear wheel drive only, can get into trouble more easily (see vids ). Rear wheel drive with my current motor is not fun at all if any moisture. Even dry and in a straight line can’t slap the pedal down shifting into 3rd or 4th or you’re having to pucker buttocks going through boost on street tires.

Go to 1.13

Same spin view from following car

What fun!
Old 08-15-2022, 03:08 AM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Thank you, awesome but scary videos!

I agree on the physics of having to portion out the available grip into either lateral g of cornering the turn and acceleration/deceleration.

I'm not a very good (as in fast) drier, but the car certainly felt good on the public roads. I've owned (and driven a lot) 997 S Cabrio and 991 GTS Cabrio, they are objectively better cars but I feel this 993 Turbo is cooler.

Old 08-17-2022, 04:34 AM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Here's a question about turbo lag. When I read posts about turbo lag, what exactly is the accepted forum definition of turbo lag?

None of the street turbo cars that I've worked have any appreciable turbo lag to speak of in the following sense: when you're driving hard and shifting near the redline, the engine is simply on after the shift and there's no lag. All of them have a turbo lag in the sense of starting with a high gear cruise and flooring the car at low rpms. But well tuned naturally aspirated engines also bog down if one floors the gas pedal at high-gear low-rpm highway cruise. In fact, carbureted and mechanical throttle cammed engines can really lose the plot, electronic throttle ones often save the driver by effectively ignoring the driver's right foot until rpms are up. FBW throttles simply don't open and dual throttle ITBs (like Suzuki) have the computer not fully open the second set of throttle valves.

Downshifting this transmission to the correct gear for maximum acceleration with the car already moving will result in engine speed higher than 4300 rpm. Based on my driving this car in its stock form, the power is on instantly at 4300 rpm and I can't perceive any lag. Does anyone else have a different driving impression of this? Am I missing something?

Last edited by ptuomov; 08-17-2022 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:59 AM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Default Euro S 450hp / WLS 2

Is this an accurate dyno curve comparison between the base 408hp turbo with K16 turbos and 450hp European Turbo S / WLS with K24 turbos?

Old 08-22-2022, 07:32 PM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Default ECU questions

What are all the different ECUs that Porsche had available for ‘97 993 Turbo versions? There’s the base, WLS 1, and WLS 2. Then there are full car vs. sports cat/cat delete versions of those. I’m sure there are some USA vs RoW version differences, too. Does anyone have all the part numbers with descriptions?

Quick Reply: Contemplating buying an already modified 993 turbo