Whats the Nokia box under the passenger seat

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 06:49 PM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whats the Nokia box under the passenger seat

While in the process of replacing my stock 12-way adjustable heated seats for GT3 seats, I noticed that there is a black box with a sticker labeled Nokia with a speaker symbol on it located below the passenger side seat. Does anyone know what thats for? I thought the ECU was located underneath the passenger seat, but under the driver's seat sits a motronic unit. I have attached pics for reference. Any clues would be appreciated as I didnt think I had any of the components for the DSP.

TIA...
Attached Images    
Old 09-14-2004, 07:44 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Nokia box is the amplifier.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:39 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 208 Posts

Reviving this thread because I need advice from stereo experts for my wife’s car please. Here is the situation.

This photo is precisely what I have under the passenger seat in our 993. When I went to swap out the OEM radio for a Blaupunkt retro Bluetooth (Bremen 46) I saw the PO had altered the wiring and thereby removing the Nokia amp (pictured ) from our system. I can see the abandoned conductors in my dash that run to the Nokia amp that the PO left. The new radio is great actually….reused the OEM door speakers/ mid/ tweeters that are very good…..yet I swapped out the tiny rears with OEM replacements from Suncoast which was an excellent improvement over the Nokias which had deteriorated. In summary -present case - stereo looks perfect OEM, sounds very good for 993 cab yet needs a bit more amplification and bass…amplification less so that bass.

So….I purchased a powered mini subwoofer from Crutchfield that I was going to add to the new radio and locate it in the rear footwell (underneath passenger seat. The Blaupunkt has an RCA for the subwoofer and I will wire that to the new amp and get power from somewhere in the car….but then I wondered hmmmm…SOOOO…questions are;

Is the Nokia amp worth figuring out the dash wiring and integrating back into the system I have now..ie, does it add bass responce and power clarity with its 30 year technology that warrants the effort?…and I am making the assumption of course, it was working when the PO abandoned it. In this scenario I would return the powered subwoofer to Crutchfield.

Or

simply add my mini powered subwoofer that I just got from Crutchfield (leaving the Nokia institu under the seat) and run a conductor power feed directly to ??…and what route/ how should I run that?

My expectations for sound quality in a cab are tempered. I have never heard this Nokia system but what I have now is pretty darn good. I have to think PO was underwhelmed by bass Responce and power from the Nokia unit and I carry on with my 150 w powered sub that is only 2 7/8” deep?. Is this Nokia technology worth saving or do I leave it there unwired, run my power wire plug subwoofer into the new Blaupunkt and be done with it?

Thank you in advance for advice.

Last edited by Overdraft; 03-17-2024 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-18-2024, 01:51 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

You probably don’t want to incorporate that Nokian amp as its pretty anemic, there’s some discussion of specs in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...and-specs.html

I’d pull it out and use the space for an amp for the sub, or just use a powered sub.

Quick Reply: Whats the Nokia box under the passenger seat