Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone moved from 996/996TT to a 993TT ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 10:39 AM
newton982
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone moved from 996/996TT to a 993TT ???

Hi All -

I posted this in another forum but wanted to get your thoughts also. I currently have a 2002 996 C2 and am thinking of moving on to somthing else. I had several cars on my short list, but I'm most interested in the 996TT, 997 Carrera S and the 993TT. Of these the 993TT is what excites me most - mostly the style. I have a feeling that if I get one of the other others it might be a little "ordinary" in comparison and in some ways not too different from my current car. My main concern with the 993TT are the potential maintance costs. Any advice on this?

Also, if anyone has been in a similar situation and has written off the 996TT and 997C2S to get the 993TT, let me know. I understand a lot of this is pretty subjective, but would still like to hear your thoughts on your decision process.

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2007, 12:31 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had a 2004 40th Anniversary 911 for about a year and traded it for a 1997 Turbo; best move I ever made. The 996 and 997 cars are fantastic, but, oddly enough not as interesting to me, nor as good looking as the 993. The only thing I like better about the newer 911's is the interior; the pre-996 interiors are extremely dated, but still very nice. As far as driving, I like the more immediate responsiveness of the 993; somehow it feels more like a supercar (at least the Turbo does) than GT (which I find the newer cars to feel like; the only exception are the GT3's which I also driven).
Old 09-18-2007, 04:51 PM
md11plt
Pro

As an Army brat, I actually grew up in Germany. I don’t remember the first time I saw a 911, but it made an impression because that is the ONLY car I have ever wanted. During High school, right after I got my drivers license, I used to go to the Porsche dealer and just lust after the 911s. It never went away.

A few years ago, I was finally in a place I could afford one. The new 997 looked like the 911s from my youth and they had to be better cars, right? Well, after a few months of ownership, I realized that better isn’t always…better.

The 997, while nice, wasn’t what had made that imprint in my brain so long ago. It was HUGE. It didn’t make that metallic clang when I closed the doors (sounded rather like my Expedition actually). You couldn’t hear the engine at all. It had so many electronic nannies looking over my shoulder, that I never really felt connected to the car. Reading through the Owners Manual required another manual to decipher all the acronyms. That display on the center console was more complex than my office (see my avatar). It was nice, but Lexus or Acura nice. I ended up selling the car and actually thought I was done with Porsche. Maybe you can’t go back.

About six months later, I saw a red TT at one of the local dealers. There were those hips I remembered so fondly. Oh, and that cute little ***. I sat in the car and immediately felt “home”. You can’t help but feel they designed this car from the driver out. Did I want to take it for a test drive? OK. Start it up…oh yea, there’s that noise! With no water to drown out the mechanicals, you hear stuff. Cams turning, pistons pumping, valves…valving. Take it out of the parking lot and you can feel it at the first light. There is no fluff. Everything is here for a purpose. You can feel it actually breathing beneath you. I can only imagine that it must be like sitting astride a race horse in the starting gate at the Preakness. That is until the first time you experience a 993TT at full chat. Then you realize, this is a horse from a different planet. The first time you experience those turbos pumping air into that mighty 3.6, you will realize that the reason they don’t make them like this anymore is because they can’t.

With the safety ***** (can you say **** on a Porsche forum) in charge it’s all about airbags and traction control. Marketing has determined that I am more interested in cup holders than feeling the cable action from the throttle pedal to the intake. I can’t feel the throttle cable on a “drive by wire” car. Porsche has done an incredible job with the 997 given the constraints they have to work with. If you want a nice car, I can recommend the 997 whole heartedly. If you want a Porsche, buy a 993. But that's just me.

Tom

Last edited by md11plt; 09-18-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Bill (NC)
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2000 996 C4 Cab to a 993TT and never ever regretted the move.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:01 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with md11 on this one too, tho I followed my heart with the old 930 style tub body and last and greatest air cooled turbo engine. Had my cake and am still eating it on a daily basis too.

Jaime
Old 09-18-2007, 07:15 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by md11plt
As an Army brat, I actually grew up in Germany. I don’t remember the first time I saw a 911, but it made an impression because that is the ONLY car I have ever wanted. During High school, right after I got my drivers license, I used to go to the Porsche dealer and just lust after the 911s. It never went away.

A few years ago, I was finally in a place I could afford one. The new 997 looked like the 911s from my youth and they had to be better cars, right? Well, after a few months of ownership, I realized that better isn’t always…better.

The 997, while nice, wasn’t what had made that imprint in my brain so long ago. It was HUGE. It didn’t make that metallic clang when I closed the doors (sounded rather like my Expedition actually). You couldn’t hear the engine at all. It had so many electronic nannies looking over my shoulder, that I never really felt connected to the car. Reading through the Owners Manual required another manual to decipher all the acronyms. That display on the center console was more complex than my office (see my avatar). It was nice, but Nexus or Acura nice. I ended up selling the car and actually thought I was done with Porsche. Maybe you can’t go back.

About six months later, I saw a red TT at one of the local dealers. There were those hips I remembered so fondly. Oh, and that cute little ***. I sat in the car and immediately felt “home”. You can’t help but feel they designed this car from the driver out. Did I want to take it for a test drive? OK. Start it up…oh yea, there’s that noise! With no water to drown out the mechanicals, you hear stuff. Cams turning, pistons pumping, valves…valving. Take it out of the parking lot and you can feel it at the first light. There is no fluff. Everything is here for a purpose. You can feel it actually breathing beneath you. I can only imagine that it must be like sitting astride a race horse in the starting gate at the Preakness. That is until the first time you experience a 993TT at full chat. Then you realize, this is a horse from a different planet. The first time you experience those turbos pumping air into that mighty 3.6, you will realize that the reason they don’t make them like this anymore is because they can’t.

With the safety ***** (can you say **** on a Porsche forum) in charge it’s all about airbags and traction control. Marketing has determined that I am more interested in cup holders than feeling the cable action from the throttle pedal to the intake. I can’t feel the throttle cable on a “drive by wire” car. Porsche has done an incredible job with the 997 given the constraints they have to work with. If you want a nice car, I can recommend the 997 whole heartedly. If you want a Porsche, buy a 993. But that's just me.

Tom
Dude! I always thought poet and pilot were mutually incompatible, but I was wrong.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:15 PM
kmy
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 60 Posts

Went from a stage II 996tt to an e60 m5 to a 993tt. It's been 18 months and I couldn't be happier. Pretty different animals but ultimately went with what excited me and the 993 has definately kept my attention. Love everything about it and (knock on wood) maintenance has been a breeze so far.

only really considered 2 other cars - 996 gt2 (so much car for the dollar!) and 997 gt3 (one serious machine as well), but ultimately neither bring the passion of the 993tt IMHO!!!

Kevin
Old 09-18-2007, 11:05 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Tom, that is the best description of a 993TT that I have ever read! I second guess myself daily, bc I passed on a sweet blk 993tt that a buddy had, almost wish I could go back!
C
Old 09-19-2007, 12:31 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by md11plt

The 997, while nice, wasn’t what had made that imprint in my brain so long ago. It was HUGE. It didn’t make that metallic clang when I closed the doors (sounded rather like my Expedition actually). You couldn’t hear the engine at all. It had so many electronic nannies looking over my shoulder, that I never really felt connected to the car. Reading through the Owners Manual required another manual to decipher all the acronyms. That display on the center console was more complex than my office (see my avatar). It was nice, but Lexus or Acura nice. I ended up selling the car and actually thought I was done with Porsche. Maybe you can’t go back.

Tom
Tom,

I thought pilots could only speak with their hands! Very well put answer.

In response to the original question, here are some of my miscellaneous ramblings.

While the 996s and certainly the 997s are great cars, they were never even CONSIDERED when I bought my 993tt.

To me, the 993tt represents the pinnacle of 911 technology. What the factory has followed up with since then are not 911s. Maybe by name, but it's a completely different car. The 993tt has some kind of a raw, ferociousness to it that IMHO isn't matched by the 996/7. The factory has been spending a lot of effort trying to "tame" the oddities of the car and have done so. In the process, I think they have also sterilized the driving experience. Personally, I get a kick out of those oddities. Power on oversteer and turbo lag don't aren't necessarity bad things. You just have to learn to respect them.

I have had mine for a year and a half in a major Pcar market (Dallas) and still have NEVER seen another one on the road since I bought it and can only remember sighting a small handful since they were created. I see countless 996/7s daily. Important if exclusivity matters to you.

The thing puts a smile on my face every time I walk into my garage. I can't describe what it does when I drive it.

Granted, mine is a low mileage car, but except for a broken sunroof cable, it has been flawless so maintenance has been a breeze.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As my wife occasionally reminds me (sometimes loudly), 20K+ this year and counting. Stay away from mods and the track.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:52 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

i have always said the 993tt puts smiles on peoples faces, people have a sense of familiarity when they see it you always give it a second glance when you walk away, 993tt is what a 911 turbo is defined by
Old 09-21-2007, 11:15 PM
baja272
Instructor

Tom:

Your description has brought a tear to my eyes
Old 09-26-2007, 05:34 PM
Gordon Attar
Instructor

The curves, the shape, air cooled, performance, soul etc etc and many a story of 996TT drivers regreting moving from a 993TT something tod with the lack of personality/soul in the newer cars.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:41 PM
graeme36s
Racer

I bought my first Porsche back in 91 a 3.2 carerra sport coupe. Started racing 911's back in 93. In 98 a main dealer delivered a brand new 996 carrera 2 to me to strip and build into a race car. It was delivered Friday and taken back to them on the Monday. It was not for me.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:55 AM
Turbo993
Advanced

I have been driving air-cooled 911s since 1987; then in 2002 I bought a 996 4S, kept it for 6 months, and lost a huge amount of money trading it into a 993 tt. But I have NEVER regretted that nor will I EVER trade in that car again.

It's now 10 years after end of production and people quite often ask me whether I am willing to sell - can anyone imagine that to be true for a 996 or 997 in whatever span of time????

Cheers,
Nils

Quick Reply: Anyone moved from 996/996TT to a 993TT ???