Old 12-22-2007, 09:40 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Roock racing 993 GT2 EVO

Came accross this for sale:
Claimed one of 15 factory EVOs -very interesting front spoiler arrangement:

2 Doors, Manual, Coupe, Petrol, 0 miles, Blue. Previously raced at at Le mans in 1999.Ready to race having just had total rebuild and now zero hours..This car was manufactured by Porsche Stuttgart Motorsport Department as a pure race car and is a 993 GT2 R Evolution with the factory 3.8 litre engine as befitting the Evolution specification. Although many race cars were upgraded to Evo spec it is believed that less than 15 Evo spec cars were built by the factory and this is one of those original cars.The car was delivered new direct to Roock Germany where they carried out their own expensive upgrades including increasing the track by 7cms, re-sited front radiators, stiffening the chassis, revised under body airflow and revised rad airflow. These Evo Roock cars proved to be the fastest GT2’s around in GT racing.CALL FOR FOR DETAILS!!! £120,000.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:53 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice find TB,
Was this one of the EVO's with sequential transmission? Maybe Jean could chime in.

I think all who want to make the 993tt a two wheel drive conversion should pay close attention to the massive rear wing and steam roller tires that gave this racer "crisp" handling.

Jimmy
Old 12-22-2007, 12:09 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,173 Likes on 577 Posts

Wow. Talk about a no-nonsense looking racecar!
Old 12-22-2007, 01:22 PM
tar6day
Addict
Rennlist Member

The car was delivered new direct to Roock Germany where they carried out their own expensive upgrades including increasing the track by 7cms, re-sited front radiators, stiffening the chassis, revised under body airflow and revised rad airflow.
Pretty cool how they re-sited the front radiators???
Old 12-22-2007, 11:03 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oakfields in the UK has one on their website with a sequential transmission.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:06 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Bad-***!
Old 12-22-2007, 11:08 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by mklaskin
Oakfields in the UK has one on their website with a sequential transmission.
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C31364

What is a sequential transmission?
Old 12-22-2007, 11:42 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C31364

What is a sequential transmission?
A sequential box does not have the traditional H-pattern. Instead, it is like a tiptronic, where the driver pulls back to upshift and pushes forward to downshift. There is only an up and down position as opposed to 1, 2, 3, etc.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:21 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
A sequential box does not have the traditional H-pattern. Instead, it is like a tiptronic, where the driver pulls back to upshift and pushes forward to downshift. There is only an up and down position as opposed to 1, 2, 3, etc.
Is there a clutch?
Old 12-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Usually yes
Old 12-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It's probably a non-synchromesh box with dogs rings. So very fast shifts (no clutch on the upshift) but harsh shifts that will make anyone with mechanical sympathy cringe at their first encounter. Much like a typical motorcycle box but made to deal with 10x the torque so heavier shift effort! I think Jean used to run this sort of box.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Although many race cars were upgraded to Evo spec it is believed that less than 15 Evo spec cars were built by the factory and this is one of those original cars
This is a bit weird statement, since all non-EVO and EVO's cars eventually got upgrades during the seasons. AFAIK only one final EVO (all upgrades from factory) was made and that car is in Germany today in the hands of a collector.

Do you have a chassi number of this car?
Old 12-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

What a great find TB, this car is one of my all time favourites together with the Konrad Gt2 EVO race car.

This car is probably the most developped air cooled 993 race car ever and I think it is the one that came second in FIA GT, 3rd in GT2 class in Le Mans after some problems, 1st in Daytona 24hours in 1999 and 2nd in ALMS in 2000, among other smaller races in europe.

The brain behind this car was ex-Roock's guru chief techinican Micke Gramke, who works nowadays with Carsport (Holland) North America and more specialized in running Corvettes, Vipers and Zonda in endurance races and FIA GT, they are succesful in ALMS and other endurance racing.

Gramke moved to a company called Archangel Motorsports and then Knighthawk Racing in the US, where, guess what, Roock enters in partnership with them to run in LMP675. Anyway, Gramke is a true racing guru and very knowledgeable in chassis/transmission and engine development. I know Tony Callas on this board has worked with him during his days there.

Back to the car, there were two similar cars that were run by Roock back then , numbers 62 and 63 in 1999 in Le Mans, I am not sure which one is this one, but they had similar specs.

As the ad mentions, this car was heavily modified, they took advantage of the change in FIA GT regulations of 1999 to improve a lot on it, such as wider track (14" wheels allowed), the rear was obviously modified with the huge wing and the front with an improved front bumper that is taller to the front of the car, the floor was also modified to improve handling and downforce.The car weighed 1100Kgs back then due to the regulations. As far as the radiators, what I have seen is that they used two small radiators placed at an angle next to the sides of the spoiler and were driven by a small electric fan. There was also a front mounted oil cooler but I am not sure if with this spoiler design it was still there They have worked a lot on the CF ducting to improve air cooling into the radiators.

On the mechanical side of things, as mentioned a 3.8 twin plug engine and also a sequential 6 speed gearbox. The gearbox that I had used to belong to Roock racing and was later modified by GT Ltd in the UK, a company that was bought by leading engineering house Ricardo of the UK. The gearbox was greatly strengthened to withstand the abuse of such an engine, a normal sequential gearbox would not last much in an endurance race with this torque.

Back in the Le Mans days, a couple of teams tried to race with the (brand new back then) sequential gearbox, but some of them decided to go back to a traditional gearbox because they faced some teething problems, and also because the drivers did not have time to practice on such gearboxes before the race, which was making them slower.

As an example , these cars used to lap Silverstone in 1999 4 seconds faster than the fastest Porsche Supercup car and driver todate, who are typically 10-12 seconds faster than the fastest driven GT3 RSs..

This car is a true classic!

Last edited by Jean; 12-24-2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Red9
Racer

Jean, can you elaborate on that second last sentence(lap times)- not clear as to what you are saying. Did you sell your sequential?
Old 12-24-2007, 11:45 PM
tar6day
Addict
Rennlist Member

What do the radiators cool? Is this a water cooled engine?

Quick Reply: Roock racing 993 GT2 EVO