Sponsored by:

993GT2EVO dyno report

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 05:49 AM
Turbo993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Nils, I don|t know if it is a language thing or if I am reading what zou wrote incorrectly, but zou seem to be contradicting above what zou wrote in the other thread about "What is a GT2 EVO"......?

In the other thread you said the EVO was the race car with 600hp, K27 etc which is correct as I understood ? Above you seem to be saying different

Sorry, my mistake by not being a native speaker combined with a long day. Did not mean to contradict my earlier post. I will edit that, thanks!
Old 02-21-2008, 07:07 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 331 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by graeme36s
Update. I will post the ecu part numbers but I have not got them as yet. Don't flame me as I am a little ignorant but I am told the 993GT2EVO ecu is a remapped 993TT brain hence the two part numbers. The map obviously does not work and apparently they have had problems installing the new map. So tomorrow I will run the car with its original map. It is over fueling mid range as it would be with 0.6 bar but I had a long chat with the dyno guy and he assured me it would not do any damage as it was not that severe. I was hoping that they would have completed the remap and worst ways I would have re dynoed the car in the morning just for piece of mind but that obviously is not going to happen.
I hear what you are saying Jean and I will phone my Porsche OPC who I have a good relationship with and get them on the case regarding a new factory ecu. She is very fast regardless of less than 400bhp. I took a mate from up north out in it the weekend before last and as he said the last time he felt acceleration like that was in a Mclaren F1 road car. Unless the car has a short ratio box in it so I am being fooled I am not telling lies. I'll find out tomorrow I guess. Where the gearsets the same as the TT ?. By the way we stuck it on a set of scales and she weighed 1340kg with between half and three quarters of a tank of juice (92 litre tank) so I guess sub 1300kg with a low tank. Better than I imagined. Lets hope tomorrow is a good day plus I have to post a quicker lap time than a Carrera GT on slicks, I'm on road tyres. Should be an amusing day.
p.s. just spoke to Andy. They have played around with it a bit more. Some times she really flies and other times she feels a little reluctant. I concur with this but I put it down to lack of use.

Graeme, sounds like the food poisoning affected your brain as well. Suggesting you would beat a CGT on slicks with your GT2 on road tyres (even though they look like P Zero C's to me) is clearly ridiculous.

You made yourself a bit of a laughing stock on Pistonheads making statements like that, don't drag it over to Rennlist as well!
Old 02-21-2008, 08:04 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RS Clubsport
Graeme, sounds like the food poisoning affected your brain as well. Suggesting you would beat a CGT on slicks with your GT2 on road tyres (even though they look like P Zero C's to me) is clearly ridiculous.

You made yourself a bit of a laughing stock on Pistonheads making statements like that, don't drag it over to Rennlist as well!

The first part about the performance - sure it does sound incredible.

Second part about Pistonheads - sounds like you want to put Graeme to look bad. Clearly not interesting in a technical perspective.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:11 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Originally Posted by Rassel
The first part about the performance - sure it does sound incredible.

Second part about Pistonheads - sounds like you want to put Graeme to look bad. Clearly not interesting in a technical perspective.
Not trying to make Graeme look bad, just wanting to apply logic to the comments he has made.

Does anyone really think that a stock 993GT2 running road tyres can beat a Carrera GT on slicks around Silverstone GP circuit?

Last edited by RS Clubsport; 02-21-2008 at 08:29 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 02-21-2008, 08:23 AM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
The 1290kg is the DIN weight which is all fluids and 90% full tank. The weight was verfied as accurate. when Sport Auto tested an early road GT2 which weighed in right around the 1290kg full of fuel....

Your '98 has to be a bit heavier since you don't have the aluminium parts of the earlier version.
I was guessing 1340 + another 30 for 90% fuel = 1370kg DIN
My CTR-2 weighs in at 1535 with full tank on certified scales, I have CF front and rear bumpers but the extra weight of a roll cage. For your car to save another 150+ kg is huge.

Why not stop guessing and find some scales and weight it with a full tank for accuracy and report back.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LAT
Why not stop guessing and find some scales and weight it with a full tank for accuracy and report back.
The GT2 has been on the scales:

By the way we stuck it on a set of scales and she weighed 1340kg with between half and three quarters of a tank of juice (92 litre tank) so I guess sub 1300kg with a low tank.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Suggesting you would beat a CGT on slicks with your GT2 on road tyres (even though they look like P Zero C's to me) is clearly ridiculous.
You are obviously forgetting that the driver is a large variable. Maybe Grahame has a friend with a CGT on slicks who isn't interested in pushing his $400K car as hard as Grahame is pushing his GT2.

Greg H.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not trying to make Graeme look bad, just wanting to apply logic to the comments he has made.
Sorry, I don't see how Pistonheads and their reaction goes into to this logic. No pun, just don't see it.

Does anyone really think that a stock 993GT2 running road tyres can beat a Carrera GT on slicks around Silverstone GP circuit?
When it comes to the logic - it clearly depends on the driver.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:09 PM
graeme36s
Racer

Thanks for all of your posts.
Just need to clarify a couple of points.
Terminology ?. I guess the correct factory name is 911GT as per engine lid. However we all know them as 993GT2's. To distinguish between the 95-96 build cars and the 21 98 build cars they where called the 993GT2evo. (ignoring race cars as I know it is not).
Yes my car has steel doors with electric windows, no central locking and no electric door mirrors. It was weighed on Fearnsports corner weight scales with between half and three quarters of a tank of fuel (92 litre tank) and it weighed 1343kg. I weigh 75kg. I cannot comment on the accuracy of the scales.
I drove many years ago funnily enough on silverstone gp circuit a silver 993GT2 and I was fairly unimpressed with the performance. ( I was told later that it was not a particularly good example). When I decided last year that I really wanted to buy a GT2 I did not set out to buy a 98 car. I very nearly bought another GT2 a 95 car but in the end the deal did not go through but I did make a very good friend. I did drive the car and it went quite well. I was then offered this particular GT2 that I bought. It is a 98 car chassis number WPOZZZ99ZWS392075 with 20,000 kilometeres on the clock. The car was thoroughly inspected, totally factory original and unmolested and the only fault found was it needed new plates in the diff that was paid for by the dealer that I purchased the car from. I bought the car without ever driving it. Once the car was UK registered I was then able to drive it. Yes I replaced the actuators and the dump valves but the car is far quicker than the two earlier K16 cars that I had driven. In due course I'll show the dyno report and at some point put a DL1 in the car courtesy of phelix and we can all look at the numbers. I have nothing to hide and I am more than willing to learn.
Lastly and I apologise for the length of the post but on pistonheads there was a question asked about 993GT2 and the CGT. There was quite a lot of friendly banter and some amusing comments made. Hence my comment about having to post a quicker lap time around silverstone gp on road tyres than a cgt on slicks. As we all know it all boils down to the nut behind the wheel. From what I gather our man in the CGT has managed a 2minute 16 second lap around the GP circuit in the CGT on slicks. On Tuesday he managed a 2minute 12second lap in his 996GT3 with its new 440bhp 3.9 manthey engine. In 2004 I posted a 1minute 50second lap time in a 380bhp 996 supercup car. In 1996 in a 964 carrera 2 race car running P Zero C's (not an RS) my lap times where 2minutes 10. This is the difference between an occasional track day warrior and someone who has actually raced 911's for some 15 years on and off. I once again apologise for digressing on this technical thread but I did find his comments a little antagonising.
The new air flow meter arrives tomorrow so with a bit of luck there will be time to get a dyno run as well. I'll let you know.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:59 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 582 Posts

graeme on a 3 mile track here 50hp advantage gives about 1 second per lap, given equal drivers, suspensions, and weights. Being already 26 seconds faster per lap in the 996 supercup than the CGT, I think you will have no issues creaming that particular driver and his CGT.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:20 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

In 2004 I posted a 1minute 50second lap time in a 380bhp 996 supercup car. In 1996 in a 964 carrera 2 race car running P Zero C's (not an RS) my lap times where 2minutes 10.
The fastest Porsche cars during the 2007 FIA GT race were obviously the 997RSRs, I can see the fastest laps of 1:50s in qualifying (read empty tank, new slick tires) by no other than Emannuel Collard in his factory car.

I have never ran Silverstone unfortunately, and I don't know if there has been a change in the circuit configuration, or if these times belong to a different configuration than the FIA GT races, can you please clarify (just out of curiosity).
Old 02-22-2008, 04:24 AM
graeme36s
Racer

This was at an RMA track day where Mike Jordan spent the whole morning fettlling the suspension after fitting new dampers, anti roll bars (RSR set up) etc so as to optimise the handling. I did not get to drive the car till after lunch. Absolutely flat through bridge on used slicks. I'm sure from memory it was 1.50 but it was 4 years ago, might have been in the 1.50's. Either way I don't quite understand why this has been drawn into this thread by John. I'll only add to this that I have driven a 993GT2C/S around the GP on toyo 888's last year a few times running K24's. Comparing the supercup car to this CS, whatever the CS might have lacked in ultimate late braking and corner speed it more than made up for in sheer grunt out of the corner and straight line speed. I would have thought that very close to a 2minute lap would be possible on road tyres in a street GT2 .
Old 02-22-2008, 05:59 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Greame, last post on this diverted subject. Not sure where you got the times for my CGT on slicks as I was not aware of anyone timing, perhaps you can expand on this?

Secondly you state you ran a 1.50 in 2004 in a Supercup car?

Have a look at the 2006 qualifying times, you'd have beaten Alzen & Westbrook by 2 seconds in a 2004 car!!

http://www.racecam.de/index.php?lang...&rid=58&sid=13

We'll talk about it when we catch up next!
Old 02-22-2008, 09:46 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 582 Posts

Is there a throw-down coming? I waiting for the impending pics of you 2 wrestling in a bowl of jello
Old 02-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm sure from memory it was 1.50 but it was 4 years ago, might have been in the 1.50's. ...
. I'll only add to this that I have driven a 993GT2C/S around the GP on toyo 888's last year a few times running K24's. Comparing the supercup car to this CS, whatever the CS might have lacked in ultimate late braking and corner speed it more than made up for in sheer grunt out of the corner and straight line speed. I would have thought that very close to a 2minute lap would be possible on road tyres in a street GT2 .
Graeme

The 993GT2 in its stock form is a quite fast car by the standards of the late 90's, but not today's I am afraid.

As a reference, the fastest Silverstone lap time that I have seen for a track modified 993GT2 "R" was 2:00 flat at Porsche club GB. I don't know how good Paul Mc Lean is but the rest of the (track modified I am sure) 993GT2s were in the 2:07s.

At Hockenheim, Sport Auto clocked 1:08.6s with the CGT (second after the Donkervoort D8) whereas the 993GT2 was timed at 1:14.2s. (35th position after a bunch of N/A Porsche cars) and only 0.2 s ahead of the 993TT.

To be honest, unless the CGT driver is a novice at the track, there is not much one can do to beat it with a stock 993GT2.

But please if you guys decide to have some fun and time a few laps, let us know by any means, I am planning to have a Donnington track day 2 thursdays from now.

Quick Reply: 993GT2EVO dyno report