Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993GT2EVO dyno report

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:26 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 329 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm sure it's something that we will end up doing sometime this year, just for fun, nothing more.

Graeme and I have been having this debate for some time now, I'm firmly fixed in my opinion that even with my lesser driving skills, my Carrera GT on slicks will beat his stock 993GT2 around silverstone.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Turbo993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by graeme36s
Thanks for all of your posts.
Just need to clarify a couple of points.
Terminology ?. I guess the correct factory name is 911GT as per engine lid. However we all know them as 993GT2's. To distinguish between the 95-96 build cars and the 21 98 build cars they where called the 993GT2evo. (ignoring race cars as I know it is not).
Sorry for being pernickety, but the 98 models are regular GT2 and not EVOs. This is a fairy tale they told you.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:36 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 582 Posts

I don't know what kind of track Silverstone is (tight/technical or high HP track) but I will put a friendly wager out there that Graeme turns the faster lap. My chip is a solid aluminum Porsche engraved center cap circa 1980's
Old 02-22-2008, 05:49 PM
graeme36s
Racer

Myself and RS Clubsport have had many a friendly wind up on this subject and although we have only ever met once I'd say we are kindred spirits and very good friends. Neither John or I would want to bin our cars to attempt to prove a point. Organised track days can also prove a little difficult because of the strict over taking rules so true analysis could be difficult. We all know the CGT is a very quick car but even walter rohl did not find it particularly user friendly.
Anyway back to my headache. The car is ready to collect and I'll pick her up in the morning. The dyno's packed up so we can't run the numbers. I'm away for a few days next week for a good mates 60th in France and all being well we'll dyno the car next Saturday. Have a great weekend everyone. Can't wait to drive the car tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:09 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,988 Likes on 561 Posts

I'll do both cars on my xbox and let you know what I post...
Old 02-22-2008, 07:24 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eclou
I don't know what kind of track Silverstone is (tight/technical or high HP track ...)
I've only driven the GP track twice. Of the five track configurations offered at Silverstone, I'd put this one in the power category. I have no doubt a well driven GT2 could see 170+ mph by the end of Hanger Straight. And while Wonderful Walter might not have found the CGT user friendly, it didn't stop him from turning a 1:00 flat lap at Goodwood (another power circuit) in Lord March's CGT with him as a passenger. Understand his lordship exited the car a paler shade of green. To put that time in perspective, here's what was posted recently on PH for possible Goodwood times:

Good amateur time (993RS or similar) -- 1:30
Pro time in a 996RS -- 1:25 on qualifying cups
Pro time in a 996 cup car -- 1:20 on michellins
Old 02-22-2008, 07:47 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I just spent a few mins driving around the long version of silverstone on Forza2. it's the 3.19 mile "Grand Prix" version with more straightaway and a few more 2nd gear turns but it's significantly longer than the 2.25 mile "international" version. These times are the long track, but like bb993TT says, there are multiple configs.

I'm pretty awesome at driving these cars on the game, and on a few tracks am only 2-3 seconds of the fastest times in the world via xboxlive.

just for a baseline on what I seem to think an accurate representation of the cars performance is...

450hp 1995 GT2 on stock tires- 2:09 seconds. might be able to run a 2 flat if I really worked on it. No chance there are 19 seconds left with stock tires...

CGT on stock tires 2:00. CGT is harder to drive at the limit so exiting those 3rd gear turns in full opposite lock is sketchy- even digitally. I could probably get into 1:54 or so. On slicks? you could definitely run lower, maybe even 1:49.

driving at 10/10ths on xbox is a lot cheaper than real life, but the reflexes are just as fast. A really good driver could make up those extra 9 seconds over a slower driver but equal drivers...CGT is waaaaaay faster.

oh and FYI: driving the flying lizard 2005 996RSR- 5 laps between 1:52-1:53.5 after driving the circuit for 6 laps. guess I would have qualified pretty high in a cup race!

Last edited by C.J. Ichiban; 02-22-2008 at 08:07 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-22-2008, 08:51 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

CJ - congrats, you da man!. The 3.19 mile track is the GP one. But in real life there are no 2nd gear turns. Not in my car anyway.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I'm pretty awesome at driving these cars on the game, and on a few tracks am only 2-3 seconds of the fastest times in the world via xboxlive.
Just giving you a hard time, but more than one instructor has told me a statement like that scares the heck out of them

Greg H.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:01 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bb993tt
CJ - congrats, you da man!. The 3.19 mile track is the GP one. But in real life there are no 2nd gear turns. Not in my car anyway.
2nd gear for the quasi-hairpins on entry, 3rd on exit. you must really be lugging off the boost in those!

Originally Posted by Greg H.
Just giving you a hard time, but more than one instructor has told me a statement like that scares the heck out of them

Greg H.
greg, I'm sure you're right...that's why I don't use "instructors"- I only take passenger advice from professional racers...they're the only ones crazy enough to ride with me! when I go fast I'm banging over the curbs and pushing the car really fast, usually that's a bit frowned upon from the DE crowd. This offseason I'll get more instruction for sure though- gonna do an open wheel school or two somewhere.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:16 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
2nd gear for the quasi-hairpins on entry, 3rd on exit. you must really be lugging off the boost in those!
No ... in real life there are no 2nd gear requirements on this entire circuit in a in a properly set up 993TT ... once you're out of the pits anyway. And I do use an instructor, who's an ex-FIA European GT3 champ (at 19, now 20 and in GT2) and neither of us use 2nd ... once we're out of the pits.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:54 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

gotcha, well I guess it's just like in my andial car- all 2nd is good for: wheelspin.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:22 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg H.

Greg H.
I am thinking that line could induce a spontaneous bowel movement in some circumstances
Old 02-23-2008, 11:00 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by eclou
I am thinking that line could induce a spontaneous bowel movement in some circumstances
haha. kimi from F1 swears by his xbox...us young guys are a new generation, doesn't take 10 years of driving to be fast, just takes being stupid!
Old 02-23-2008, 07:04 PM
graeme36s
Racer

CJ I would be useless with any of these electronic games so I definately ain't going to challenge you. Anyone stateside see the Top Gear epsiode when Jeremy Clarkson tried to replicate his lap time on a play station at Leguna Seca with a Honda NSX. Amusing to watch and he cannot drive well either. He was far quicker on the play station.
Collected the car today but the dyno's broke. I'll run it back up there next Saturday for a power run and the chaps that remapped it will be there as well in case it needs a bit of fettling. Felt rather nippy but I'm going to take her for a blast tomorrow so I can make a more informed opinion. i.e. when there's less bloody traffic and fewer muppets driving at 15mph below the posted speed limit. Yet when they arrive at a set of traffic lights that are red they drive straight through them.
From what I understand the 98 model year GT2 had a mapped brain from the factory. Somehow my file has been corrupted hence the issues. How the hell does that happen ?. It's not like anyone can watch **** on it. See how she feels tomorrow and I hope to retain my driving license

Quick Reply: 993GT2EVO dyno report