Sponsored by:

993T as a daily driver? Yes/No, why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Javier, congrats on your beautiful car!

If I'm not mistaken, your Ruf was last tuned by Protomotive (turbos, ECU), therefore the higher HP numbers?
Old 05-17-2008, 02:07 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by niche
529 or 579 is fine with me.
I get a bit hung up on the detail since it cost me about $60K to go from there to there and suspect Ruf would charge about the same
Old 05-17-2008, 03:44 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

I get a bit hung up on the detail since it cost me about $60K to go from there to there
60k pounds sterling or USD? Either way this is a lot to pay for 50 hp, almost makes you want to go to a water cooler? BTW Toby Sweet avatar!
Old 05-17-2008, 04:02 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sfbanchs
60k pounds sterling or USD? Either way this is a lot to pay for 50 hp, !
40K Euro approx for special turbos extra big cats and big diameter race exhaust, Secan I/C, cams, valves twin plug EVO head sealing, higher load clutch lots of engine dyno time. Jump up to over 600hp = $30K US big Secan and new inlet system.

At this price you get properly engine dyno tuned engines not really comparable to the "bolt on" 996tt stuff
Old 05-17-2008, 04:32 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Javier, congrats on your beautiful car!

If I'm not mistaken, your Ruf was last tuned by Protomotive (turbos, ECU), therefore the higher HP numbers?
Thank you! I love my beast... it's an absolute pleasure to have and I can't believe I own it! Yes, you're right it was tuned at Protomotive. It's really a Turbo R plus. I'm really lucky because I got the car turnkey... I don't desire any mods... only one... RUF emblem on the hood.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=TB993tt;5422027]40K Euro approx for special turbos

TB - Which special turbos are you using?
Old 05-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

Toby: +1 on the cool avatar!
Old 05-17-2008, 09:40 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if I drove Blackie every day I'd be in prison. Yes, speeding in my county is right up there with child molesting and murder except the sentence is longer. Fortunately, our good sheriff has been indicted on corruption charges so speed will soon be reduced to semi violent crimes like armed robbery and car jacking.
It's just too temping to exceed the pedestiran speed limits and the daily challenges of ricers, vetts, armed pickup trucks, that want to question your manhood in the stoplight shoot out that has existed for years in our country. Just look at the Digitial Corvette forums on kill stories. Any of you want to be the loosing end against and published on the internet. Yes, its a fact a Vett kill story will get the most hits, especially if it a turbo.

So, NO a 993tt is not a daily driver unless you have diplomatic immunity.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1
Old 05-17-2008, 10:40 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Just look at the Digitial Corvette forums on kill stories
believe it or not i get messed with more from other turbos than vettes, none air cooled though
Old 05-18-2008, 12:35 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by sfbanchs
60k pounds sterling or USD? Either way this is a lot to pay for 50 hp, almost makes you want to go to a water cooler? BTW Toby Sweet avatar!
sfbanchs

The "investment" differential between wanting to stick to ~520bhp and moving beyond ~550bhp can be huge, due to having to reinforce engine internals. You can do without of course, depends on how you drive your car, a stoplight to stoplight race kind of usage or if you drive mainly in a US residential area will not put your engine to test and you might get away with several thousand miles.

LAT here spent huge sums of money to get 580bhp from RUF, and I even suspect that RUF ended up not even making money on it due to the unexpected amount of work, re-rebuild and engine dyno time it took them to get there

For most of us it is not horsepower limitations that keep us from going to watercooled engines that's for sure.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:30 AM
graeme36s
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could not use the GT or a Turbo 4 as a daily driver I would end up at best loosing my license and at worse going to prison. My other half Kerry has a 993 Carrera 2 S with a tiptronic gearbox that I could use every day as its quite relaxed to drive. On the way out to get something to eat last night we took the S. I pulled out and overtook a line of traffic probably 40mph to 90mph. In the time it took the S to hit 90 the GT would have been doing 140. As Javier says the power is so addictive I find I just can't help myself on the odd occasion. My DD and has been for the past 5 years is the F150 Lightning pick up. Allows you to just chill out and just burble along or go race a Ferrari if you feel like.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:56 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bradford
TB - Which special turbos are you using?
I haven't got the invoice in front of me but from memory the turbos were something stupid like 4000 Euros each. They were developed for the conquering Alzen race 996tt (the one with the funkey dp bodywork) and RS had KKK race dept build a set to fit the 993tt packaging.
They were special in that the response time was improved so they light up very quickly and can hold the power to the red line.
They were cutting edge at the time (late '05/06) but no doubt as I type Kevin has a set of the compressors on his shelf gathering dust, they are some genre of K24/26

Just to add to what Jean said re the big $$$ delta between 520 and 580hp, the 520 hp engines for the 993tt can be bolted on with various kits on the market which are now days a decent price. 580hp is always going to be a bespoke build which to do properly means lots of work and lots of dyno time.....

It is slighlty depressing hearing that some of you guys can't drive your 993tts as daily drivers, surely that is what they are for ? The Carrera GT IMO can NOT be a DD due to many factors but the 993tt with is hydraulic clutch and nimble proportions is ideal....
I have driven mine daily for the last 12 years including over 520hp for the last 9. One problem in the UK is the winters do take their toll, the salt and turbo style heat cycling rots all the tin work (which tends to last about 4 years) and of course the inevitable road rash peppers our cars in a fairly severe fashion.

Graeme, the fast acceleration between 90-140mph IMO is exactly the reason why a tuned 993tt has such accessible performance for road use, it allows one to enjoy the odd squirt up to prison speeds in a very short distance then brake back down to keep out of trouble. The more torque/power you have the less dangerous this is IMO - a 1/4 mile clear stretch of straight road, drop in to 3rd wring it round to 7K bang into 4th, feel the thump of torque, grin inanely then hit the anchors - no harm done, been doing it for many years
To me dangerous road driving is when speed and vision ahead are not matched which in the UK unfortunately means keeping the cornering speeds down since hedges tend to get in the way.....

Last edited by TB993tt; 05-18-2008 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:34 AM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

TB - You are obviously obsessed with these cars and the importance of a proper tune for ideal HP. How do you feel about the other tuners that Jussi has used and the likes of Protomotive that have HP claims up to 700 HP? Jussi is even running a stock IC . Has your car hit it's limits? What is the next phase?
Old 05-19-2008, 05:58 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bradford
TB - You are obviously obsessed with these cars and the importance of a proper tune for ideal HP. How do you feel about the other tuners that Jussi has used and the likes of Protomotive that have HP claims up to 700 HP? Jussi is even running a stock IC . Has your car hit it's limits? What is the next phase?
Scott, thanks to the members on here who have actually really taken an interest in their engine upgrades (as opposed to just having a "sexy" signature ) we have some great data on what performance is available from various engine specs. We have Jean who has the formulae and ability to be able to crunch the data and accurately give real hp numbers from measuring acceleration performance.

Thanks to RL my understanding of 993tt tuning has moved on a fair way, before Jussi hit his 0-300kph in ~22s I really did not think that this was possible because that is what my "experts" told me. Being German, VERY German, my experts are fairly short on giving the full explanation since their English is not that good. They (RS, Ruf) produce engines which will last on the autobahn and drive with a level of responsiveness similar or better to factory. They can also give me a 650+hp engine, no problem they have done many, all the race 993GT2 EVOs had 620+hp engines. The big problem is how long these engines last before very expensive rebuilds.

Jean runs his engine at 0.8bar most of the time (because of the heat he runs in) so is running 600hp or less, Jussi's certainly produces the hp but I really believe if I owned it for a year and put 8K hardish miles on it including a trip to the airstrip with 15 runs up to 190mph then it would have problems related to heat, there is no magic, this hp produces a lot of heat which can and does over time result in oval bores, warped heads etc, this is standard 620hp rebuild stuff on the racers...

Jussi and I have discussed this topic a bit and he is a bit dissappointed (I think) that I don't wind my boost up a little (since the components are all similiarly capable of flowing the air) and run at the 620+ hp level which seems to take about 1.2 bar but I am fairly happy that I am about at the best compromise level of maximum hp for decent longevity and the time which RS spent getting the cams and timing right, on and off the engine dyno many times to give me a very fat power curve and a level of responsiveness which I am 100% certain is the best on here and would make the 650hp engines feel antiquated. This aspect is a bit wasted on me since it would really shine on a track, but it still makes the car an intoxicating drive.....

So I am relieved to say there is no "next level" for my engine, a few body mods this summer and some new paint

As an aside but pertinent to having a 993tt daily driver rather than something newer, I was playing with the idea of a 997tt tuned up to the gills but the Cargraphic 624hp (Secan intercooled -mega bucks) 1482kg 997tt achieved 0-300kph in 28.4s so about the same as mine (with its poor CdA) so I am confident that properly tuned aircooled power has not yet been eclipsed in the acceleration thrill stakes !

Quick Reply: 993T as a daily driver? Yes/No, why?