Sponsored by:

belt question for a 97 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 02:34 AM
lumpy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belt question for a 97 turbo

My alt belt broke recently so I ordered new fan, alt and a/c belts using my vin number. The part numbers were correct and the sizes were verified. The mechanic checked the pulley halve numbers and they also matched with the updated versions for the 1996 model. He wasn't able to put the oem a/c belt or the alt belt however the fan belt did fit. He ended up using the next size up belt for the alt and a/c. I've read several threads about using oem belts only and it makes sense. Car runs fine so far...any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:57 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The only thing I can think of, is IF the proper shims were in place???? Do you know? Let's see what others say too.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:11 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Lunpy, did you search any old Threads? These may help you:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...ve-part-s.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...questions.html
Old 06-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Dick in TN
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you ordered belts based on your VIN number, and didn't also specify upgraded alternator pulley, you would get the wrong alt. belt. The correct p/n for this belt with the upgraded pulley is 999 192 372 50. The other belts didn't change, if you got A/C belt 999 192 363 50 and your mechanic is saying it doesn't fit, he is wrong. I would also worry about anyone "making do" with non OEM belts. Unless the angle of the V is the same as OEM (and how do you verify that) the V of the belt doesn't fit the V of the pulley and you will get rapid belt wear, even if you start with the correct tension.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:27 PM
lumpy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently, most of my shims were missing and he had to order replacements. Unless I misread the tsb regarding the pulley update, the new pulleys don't have a place to store the shims. The pulley part numbers on the car match up to the updates but have a place to store shims. I think the pulleys are wrong. I thought the '97 models were exempt from the update. I'm worried about using non oem belts after reading the older threads. Unfortunately the car is in nashville while I'm in NYC. I have to thank the nashville guys for recommending Wicky at Renntag Motorworks...very professional and helpful.

Quick Reply: belt question for a 97 turbo