Sponsored by:

Huge Traffic Fine Increase in California

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 01:25 PM
mpgandco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Huge Traffic Fine Increase in California

I thought I would share this with you guys.Looks like I will have to install a front license plate.
State of California is broke and they are trying hard to squeeze all of us hard to collect money!!!!!

Effective immediately, if you do not stop at the red light, be ready to pay $436 in fines or if you pass a school bus with flashing red signals, you will be charged $616. The state of California is going for blood, so be extra careful in driving, you cannot afford messing with them. I have been hearing that Highway Patrols are under pressure to issue a lot more tickets than last year with at least 30% increase in fines over 2009, so beware of radar guns, highway and traffic cameras installed everywhere and the tougher enforcement of parking rules.

Just for your info, the next time you park in the handicapped zone, even for a minute, you will be looking at almost $ 1000 in parking tickets , so it'd better be worth it.

California needs money, so pay close attention to the rules of the road!

Traffic Ticket Fines (Effective 01/06/2011)

VC 12814.6 $214 Failure to obey license provisions.

VC 14600(A) $214 Failure to notify DMV of address change within 10 days (Note: The fine may be reduced with valid proof of correction.

VC 16028(A) $796 Failure to provide evidence of financial responsibility (insurance) Note: This fine may be reduced with proof of insurance on or after the violation date.

VC 21453(A) $436 Failure to stop at a red signal.

VC 22349 $214 Unsafe speed, 1 to 15 miles over the limit.

VC 22350 $328 Unsafe speed, 16 to 25 miles over the limit.

VC 22450 $214 Failure to stop at a stop sign.

VC 22454(A) $616 Passing a school bus with flashing red signals.

VC 23123(A) $148 Driving while using a wireless phone not hands free, first offense .

VC 23123(B) $256 Driving while using a wireless phone not hands free, each subsequent offense.

VC 23123.5 $148 Driving while using a wireless device to send, read or write text.

VC 23124 $148 Minor driving while using a wireless phone.

VC 22500 $976 Parking in a bus loading area.

VC 22507(A) $976 Violation of disabled parking provisions, first offense.

VC 22507(B) $1876 Violation of disabled parking provisions, second offense.

VC 26708 $178 Unlawful material on vehicle windows. (Presumably political stuff!)

VC 27150 $178 Adequate muffler required. (Exhaust silencer! Boy racers?)

VC 27315 $148 Mandatory use of seat belts.

VC 27360 $436 Mandatory use of passenger child restraints. Note: This fine may be reduced by completing a court authorized child seat diversion program.

VC 27400 $178 Headsets or Earplugs covering both ears. (Seen that in UK!)

VC 27803 $178 Violation of motorcycle safety helmet requirements.

VC 34506 $616 Commercial Driver - Log book violation.

VC 4000 $256 No evidence of current registration. Note: The fine may be reduced with valid proof of correction.

VC 4159 $178 Notify DMV of change of address within 10 days. Note: The fine may be reduced with valid proof of correction.

VC 5200 $178 Proper display of license plates. Note: The fine may be reduced with valid proof of correction.

VC 9400 $178 Commercial weight fees due.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

what is minor driving while using a cell phone? a young underaged driver drving while using a cell phone? this is the only one that should be higher.
and I thought our traffic enforcement was out of hand up here.
what is the fine for no front plate?
Old 01-13-2011, 04:23 PM
roarke01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just another thing to add to the list of reasons not to move to California...............
Old 01-14-2011, 06:56 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by roarke01
Just another thing to add to the list of reasons not to move to California...............
+1 Nevada.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:32 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mpgandco
VC 5200 $178 Proper display of license plates. Note: The fine may be reduced with valid proof of correction.

Originally Posted by Turbodan
what is the fine for no front plate?

Almost to the very bottom of Mpgandco's post. I'd still rather pay a $178 fine than drill holes in my front bumpers.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:40 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently got a ticket for my window tint on the door glass. After I paid to have it removed, got a cop to sign off my ticket, paid the $25 fine, I got a note from the superior court that I could have kept the tint and paid a $199 fine instead.

I also have no front plate, but I have a rather large grill opening on my Ruf CTR-2 front bumper. I'm thinking of folding the top and bottom edges of my plate (you would still see the numbers and the "California" at the top) and tying the plate to the mesh inside the grill. Is this legal? Gads... I hate front plates on our cars.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:48 PM
jtpsocal
Instructor

Solution? Fight EVERY ticket. I think I'm 8 for 10 in the last few years. Three Porsches since 2003 and zero points on the record
Old 01-16-2011, 02:52 PM
azmurciev12
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

i just got a ticket for failure to stop at a red light because i turned right on yellow (after watching the video it had turned red already) and the camera got me. it's legal to turn even on Red so what's the problem. i'm going to try to fight it. the fine is $480 which i think is crazy. there is no sign "no turn on red". oh well.

Last edited by azmurciev12; 01-16-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:10 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin

I recently got a ticket for my window tint on the door glass. After I paid to have it removed, got a cop to sign off my ticket, paid the $25 fine, I got a note from the superior court that I could have kept the tint and paid a $199 fine instead.
Steve-- Frustrating, but more frustrating would be the next officer who tickets you for tinted window ... again. $199 fine prevent that?

I have no front plate, but a large grill opening on my Ruf CTR-2 front bumper. I'm thinking of folding the top and bottom edges of my plate (you would still see the numbers and the "California" at the top) and tying the plate to the mesh inside the grill.
Kudos to RLer Mike J for the inspiration in mounting my vanity plate.
His Targa:
Originally Posted by Mike J

Originally Posted by curve lover

from smart man Mike:
Old 01-16-2011, 08:19 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have no front plate, but a large grill opening on my Ruf CTR-2 front bumper. I'm thinking of folding the top and bottom edges of my plate (you would still see the numbers and the "California" at the top) and tying the plate to the mesh inside the grill. Is this legal? Gads... I hate front plates on our cars.
Steve-- Some jurisdictions stipulate that the plate be tangential to the ground (YMMV).

From the 993 Forum's "Post your Porsche Vanity Plates" thread:

Originally Posted by curve lover

Posted ~a year ago on 911uk.com's "Number plate fixing" thread by our good man, Graham:
Originally Posted by grahampm

I like the way the 'infamous' 993 Speedster has its plate mounted.

Shouldn't cause any issues - just fabricate a couple of brackets to attach to the lower grill a make sure the plate is at 90 degrees to the ground.
Graham
Later fabricated:

Originally Posted by NineMeister

snapped after valeting

IIRC ^^ Graham eventually re-installed his at an angle.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Hwyranger
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

AZMURCIEV12,
Yes, you can turn right on red on most intersections, however, you have to satisfy the "red light's" legal requirement of stopping at the limit line prior to conducting your right turn...if you don't stop first and then proceed, you'll trigger the camera every time....
Old 01-16-2011, 09:46 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mpgandco

State is broke and they are trying hard to squeeze all of us hard to collect money.
In parts of Philadelphia, saving the spot you shoveled = $300 fine.
Putting snow back where you found it = $300 fine.

"township bans saving shoveled-out parking spot"

January 13, 2011
SHARON HILL, Pa. (AP) — Using a cone or a piece of furniture to save a parking space after you've cleared snow from it may be a tradition in much of the Philadelphia area, but in one township, it could cost you.

Commissioners in Delaware County's Darby Township approved an ordinance Wednesday night to ban the practice and impose a fine of up to $300 on violators. Another part of the ordinance would fine people caught shoveling snow back.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:53 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default China Sentences Toll Dodger To Life In Prison

Originally Posted by jtpsocal

Solution? Fight EVERY ticket. I think I'm 8 for 10 in the last few years. Three Porsches since 2003 and zero points on the record
Jon-- Sounds smart. What costs / time have you invested?

This is one that may have been worth fighting; it couldn't have ended much worse...

From the New York Times' "China Sentences Toll Dodger To Life In Prison:"

Originally Posted by Andrew Jacobs

Published: January 13, 2011
BEIJING — Like most drivers around the world, Shi Jianfeng did not like to roll down his window at toll booths. In fact, Mr. Shi, a farmer evaded more than $550,000 in road fees during eight months of highway driving, according to the court that convicted him.

But his punishment, life in prison and a $300,000 fine, has provoked a firestorm in the media and among Chinese who have accused the government of imposing a draconian sentence on a man trying to make ends meet in these inflationary days. “Rape and murder will earn you 15 years in prison but evading road charges will get you life,” said one typically cynical posting on Tianya, a popular message board. “Ours is a miraculous country with peculiar laws.”

Chinese legal scholars said it was the first time toll evasion had earned a scofflaw a life sentence.

Mr. Shi, who had turned to hauling sand and gravel to make a living, behaved egregiously. But the financial details of the violations for which Mr. Shi was convicted only served to feed suspicions that he had been railroaded. The toll per truck trip averages more than $200 — a high figure.

But many people noted that his profit during those toll-free days amounted to $30,000. If he had truly evaded $556,000 in road fees, as the police charge, he would have lost more than $520,000 from his trucking business.

The local judiciary was so unnerved by the uproar that it took the unusual step of holding a news conference this week to explain Mr. Shi’s transgressions in detail.
The explanation, however, did little to assuage public anger.

In a commentary he wrote Wednesday in the Beijing News, a lawyer, Xu Mingxuan, said that if the official numbers were to be believed, the greater crime was that Chinese drivers were subjected to exorbitant tolls. “Such figures only highlight the people’s suffering,” he wrote.

Popular aversion to such fees has been inflamed by media reports of freeloading government motorcades and inflated tolls that end up in the pockets of local officials. In 2008, the country’s National Audit Office said that motorists had handed over $2.3 billion at illegally erected tollbooths.

In a commentary on Wednesday, The Yangcheng Evening News in Guangzhou suggested that those who set toll rates, not Mr. Shi, should be punished for onerous fees that added to the ever increasing cost of food and other goods. “Fraud is despicable,” the paper wrote, “but who’s scamming whom?”
Old 01-16-2011, 09:56 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Turbodan

what is minor driving while using a cell phone? a young underaged driver drving while using a cell phone?
Danny-- Regardless of age, this one shouldn't be allowed in a car with a phone

Last edited by curve lover; 07-04-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: YT
Old 01-17-2011, 03:15 AM
doscazadores
Track Day

. . .

I also have no front plate, but I have a rather large grill opening on my Ruf CTR-2 front bumper. I'm thinking of folding the top and bottom edges of my plate (you would still see the numbers and the "California" at the top) and tying the plate to the mesh inside the grill. Is this legal? Gads... I hate front plates on our cars.
There is a specific Veh. Code in CA that requires a car's owner to seek a replacement for a mutilated plate. Other Veh. Code sections speak of altered plates. There are virtually no cases reported for these sections relative to license plates that would help us understand how a police officer would "look" at your plate. But in general it appears that what underlies these statutes is to prevent and punish fraud (the reported decisions usually discuss altered driver's licenses or registration documents done for fraudulent purposes, so I think the conjecture is pretty close) or to ensure that the plate is legible for identification purposes. It makes sense. The worse that would probably happen is to get stopped and told the plate needs to be replaced, with a citation given to help you to remember to do it. That's correctable and would very likely be dismissed upon payment of a $25.00 correction fee to the court.

Quick Reply: Huge Traffic Fine Increase in California