993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche special optional exhausts?

Old 02-22-2011, 12:49 AM
fpcruz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche special optional exhausts?

Just making sure how big of a BS this is

Were there any sets of exhausts, allegedly built by porsche or whatever (not sure) that were imensely loud, and that had something written in box like "not for road use" etc etc.. aparently the complete kit plus overseas shipping could cost up to 8k or something?

i mean, I'm not saying, I'm just putting together bits and pieces to try and figure out how much of this is true (if they do exist, they might not be manufactured by porsche)..

From what i was told, when I say loud, I mean properly loud. Like public nuisance.

Is there anything of the like?

Cheers
Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you mean something like http://www.awe-tuning.com/products/p...93tttestp.html
Old 02-22-2011, 09:24 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those AWE parts are reproductions of GT2 parts (I believe GT2 race car parts, not 911GT2 street car parts). Those pipes could be $8k from Porsche now...
Old 02-22-2011, 11:48 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're deffo race parts; they come straight off the turbos - no cats or mufflers to get in the way of the noise, of which there is plenty. I don't know if they're $8000 from PMS, but they'd be a lot more than the AWE versions.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:29 AM
fpcruz
Intermediate

okay thanks anyway.. still not 100% clarified but I think i'm on the right track..

The man from the stand from where I bought the car said that previous owner (a friend of his), at the time ordered a set of those and had them installed, and apparently, not only did it gain arround 30hp, but the noise it made was something completely out this world. He said that pulling down the street at night would set the alarms off from parked cars. From what he said, they came from porsche and cost the owner a few years ago €8k. (roughly $8k). And again the noise was to the point of being unbearalble.d

Don't worry though, I'm gonna buy them off from him and keep you informed!!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:40 AM
fpcruz
Intermediate

Okay, so I now have more details. What we are talking about here is actually a complete kit from FVD.

He said that I could go for just the mufflers and still enjoy a much nicer and throathier sound, which he assured me that noisewise would be more than satisfactiory.

The second option, is to install the full banana, which is a complete stainless steel staight line exhaust kit that he said sounds loud at stupid levels for the road. No cats, no mufflers, no nothing. Again this is from FVD.

I really am a noise junky and I feel very tempted to opt for the latter. I feel that it is one of those things that one can never have enough of.. In my defense, I dont know what his idea of a "nuissance for road use" is lol.

The whole exhaust is going to cost me 2000$

Any opinions are much appreciated
Old 02-23-2011, 09:22 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

pretty sure you can't get any louder than the AWE pipes. There is no exhaust line - there is just enough pipe to direct the air out from under the rear bumper cover. You will set off car alarms on the street, you will also see the occasional burst of flames exiting the rear, you will not aggrevate the neighbors, you will probably **** off the whole town. I have them on my car which only sees track duty and they are super for that. You have to remmeber that the turbos themselves have a muffling effect on the cars, but I would say anything other than the AWE pipes will be quieter. And yes they are a aftermarket version of the factory GT2 Evo pipes which are about ~2g last I saw a set trade.

This is what they sound like on a dyno - actually too loud for the camera to fully pick up the sound

This is what they sound like at full song from a ways away.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like cat bypasses and muffler bypasses - you can expect it to be painfully loud for road use and potentially droning at speed. I found 100 cell cats and muffler bypasses too loud for polite road use - hate to think what noise cat bypasses will add. Unfortunately the turbo will never sound as good as a normally aspirated car because of the noise blending effect of the turbines. You can make it loud but it's difficult to make it sound good.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hot dang! That is serious thunder in my books.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:26 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Rufus has Ruf sport cats and no mufflers. However, it has a center exit exhaust which requires a bit longer tail pipe. I get many complements on the sound... it is the best sounding turbo I have ever heard.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:16 PM
fpcruz
Intermediate

To everyone that helped out, thanks a bunch!

Not so sure as to which one of the 3, but from what I understand, I'm being hooked up with one of these:
http://www.fvd.de/de/en/Porsche-0/99...st_System.html

Still don't know what to expect in the long run. I don't even know what to expect regarding if it's going to sound good or if it's just going to be "some" loud noise.

Anyway I'm pretty sure I'm going to be amazed the first time I start the car.

Dave, I can't even imagine how that dyno shop sounded like in that day, and I have been in some pretty loud places (Pit boxes at LeMans, F1 etc..). I hope everyone present at the time is still hearing capable. That was brutal!

By the way, is it possible to install the stock tips on exhaust systems like these? Because in my opinion, they are the only ones that look right for the turbo:
http://www.type911shop.co.uk/shop/ar...6aid%3D3248%26

or the ones from carnewal:
http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx/p93018.jpg

Thanks everyone..!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:40 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fpcruz

Dave, I can't even imagine how that dyno shop sounded like in that day, and I have been in some pretty loud places (Pit boxes at LeMans, F1 etc..). I hope everyone present at the time is still hearing capable. That was brutal!

By the way, is it possible to install the stock tips on exhaust systems like these? Because in my opinion, they are the only ones that look right for the turbo:
Thanks everyone..!
I'm sure they'll make a good sound that won't be punishing for street driving. & yea it was loud in the dyno shop, but if you want to loud try haning in the pits or the start line @ an NHRA Nitro Funny Car or Dragster race. That is the most violent noise I have ever heard. V8 motors with 1000hp per cylinder - 2 cars lined up side by side that have more HP than an entire F1 Grid & capable of doing 0-60 in their own car length and 0-300 in 3 seconds. That will totally recalibrate your impression of HP & speed.

As far as the tips... don't know if they'll bolt right on, but you can always find someone to do a quick weld for you.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still have mufflers & cats and still wake the neighbors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmwDMMH2dm0
Old 02-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

I have fdm sport cats and fabspeed muffler bypasses.

The car is a bit loud, its hardly offensive. Cold start is always the loudest part, but once its warmed up, it quiets down a good bit.

I'll see if I can get a video up when the car is running again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche special optional exhausts?