Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not quite another OBC question...steering click?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 08:58 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not quite another OBC question...steering click?

Well I fixed the OBC screen in the tachometer/rev counter by soldiering in that transistor on the board (some say its the bulb at times..not my luck). Anyway IMHO you must remove steering wheel and column trim to get this in and out. I have a 996 steering wheel so I've taken the wheel off before and found its pretty easy actually so i figure the second time around wouldn't be so bad....and indeed it wasn't bad at all.....I thought everything was great but.........now wheel "clicks" when turning in any direction. Almost sounds like the steering wheel lock but that's not it. Click click with every 15 degrees of motion in any direction.

I strongly suspect that fragile looking black ring with all the white writing on it is the culprit...but i could be wrong. I'm referring to the black plastic ring that is simply placed on the column ...so that the steering wheel when fitted will actually seat up with this black ring.

What is that thing?

And could it be misaligned? I thought it just free spins...am i supposed to line it up or something? This didn't happen the first time i had the wheel off.

strange.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:09 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

airbag clock spring. Did you ensure the steering wheel was locked into the little pin clips on the clockspring?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Brilliant Quad thanks......my airbag light was on too....now that i think of it.

So I must not simply ignore this item when reinstalling the wheel?

"clockspring"??? There is a spring?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:24 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

eh, its really a long ribbon cable thats wound into that housing. It locks to the steering wheel to allow you to turn the wheel without twisting up a standard cord.. I've had one come apart, that was a pain in the ***.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:34 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

I can imagine. I think i get it. It's more of a wound computer ribbon than wires or an actual spring. I thought I lost an actual spring for a minute there. But I've hear of these. I just paid no attention to this item upon reinstalling the wheel....there must be some aligning pins or something that locks it to the wheel when its turning i suppose.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

........and on a related topic...anybody know where to get the oem black metal trim rings/bezels for the tach?
Of course i tried to wrestle it out w/o removing the steering wheel and i put a scratch in the bezel.

It's a small one and not a big deal... but it will bug me...

so i can't find them anywhere...(other than the polished aluminum ones)...any source for oem tachometer black trim bezel?

thanks

joe
Old 04-21-2014, 04:12 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by shhhzaammm
........and on a related topic...anybody know where to get the oem black metal trim rings/bezels for the tach?
Of course i tried to wrestle it out w/o removing the steering wheel and i put a scratch in the bezel.

It's a small one and not a big deal... but it will bug me...

so i can't find them anywhere...(other than the polished aluminum ones)...any source for oem tachometer black trim bezel?

thanks

joe
Joe have you tried Sunset Porsche or local dealer? I mean maybe not ideal for pricing, but you'd have to think they would have some available.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:27 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

When removing the steering wheel from cars equipped with airbag, you must lock the steering shaft to prevent get the clock spring "out of aligment", so when you assambly it back, it will retain it's travel 50-50 and you won't break it later.

It's like this...and that white wide flex cable usaully get damaged by normal use causing circuit break, thus SRS light.

Quick Reply: Not quite another OBC question...steering click?