Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno might have ruined my visc. coupl.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 06:21 PM
owen meany
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dyno might have ruined my visc. coupl.

I did a Dyno test on a "AWD" Dyno set up at Thunderhill here in C.A. Two roller table and I had done it a couple of years ago. The difference this time was that they removed the belt that coupled the two rollers together. First pull had both wheels spinning. That was the last time they spun.
I think I know the answer to the question, but I'll ask anyway. Would the difference in speed between the two rollers (not coupled) be enough to wreck the viscous coupler? I limped the car home below 70 mph and was smelling gear oil by the end of the 3 hours. Sounded different too. No rattling, just friction noise.

If it's an obvious yes, where does that leave me in regards to compensation from the shop who (in my mind) should have known that they can't do my car on that equipment. Your honest opinions would be greatly appreciated. I know that these guys up there aren't making a lot of money but I can't afford to make this repair either.
Thanks for your advice.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:38 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Unfortunately, I think it may be fried. Usually when you dyno a car, they have you sign a release just for such occurances.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:42 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

You're in America. Sue the bastard! Judge likely to sympathize and in British common law, and maybe your case law, waver is void if there's negligence.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:32 PM
owen meany
Instructor

Yes there was a waiver, but I'm thinking that it might not hold up due to the incompetence factor. I'm not sure it should be my responsibility to know if it's compatible.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:09 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Dealer retail replacement of vc is 3k easy. Indy will be significantly less but part still comes from the fatherland only.

any documentation stating the front wheels were spinning on first run? If not it's your word against theirs. But the threat of litigation should get them to agree to half an indy repair. just a thought. Also they should have insurance for this sort of thing (if their was no waiver)
Old 05-26-2014, 12:18 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm sorry but an all wheel dyno (unless coupled mechanically) is a no no on these cars, well documented on these boards with multiple threads on the topic.
Should have checked here first prior to doing your
Dyno session. These cars are not that common, you have to do your homework.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:48 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
I'm sorry but an all wheel dyno (unless coupled mechanically) is a no no on these cars, well documented on these boards with multiple threads on the topic.
Should have checked here first prior to doing your
Dyno session. These cars are not that common, you have to do your homework.
Yes but I think it is the supplier of the service's legal responsibility to know. Guess that if you file suit they will settle for full amount out of court. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:17 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

I don't know.. I would think it is use at your own risk sort of thing.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:18 AM
AiRick
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Qwen, sorry about your V coupl

Have you thought about going rear wheel drive? Did you ever get that lean problem resolved? I was going out to Thunderhill around June 6th 7th Ill keep a heads up before I dyne there again. I have done it twice there with no problems. We finally have a fellow here in Reno that has a 4WD dyne. I have posted this video before but I will put it out again.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:48 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

The safest way to dyno is to just unhook the coupler in front of the trans, takes only few minutes and then you can use any dyno/rear wheel dyno.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:53 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

it's this thing here, just loosen through the access hole and slide forward to uncouple the front drive
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2014, 05:27 AM
owen meany
Instructor

Thanks for the thoughts.
As stated in the post. I had done it there successfully 2 years ago when they had the coupling belt. I had no idea they had taken the belt off.
AirRick, yes I did resolve all of my issues, car was running super strong. This was the first venture out in a long time of niggling little issues. Now a bigger issue to deal with. Good to hear from you.
I have thought of 2 wheel drive but eventually this car will be for sale and I know that it will sell better in awd.
Do NOT have your AWD car dyno'd there. Not that I needed to say it at this point, but...
Old 05-27-2014, 01:26 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Take the front wheel drive off. It's ruining these cars. I have a 993 TT that I race. Why dyno these anyway? They are too powerful for street driving as they are.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:10 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by surathdp
Take the front wheel drive off. It's ruining these cars. I have a 993 TT that I race.
Do you drive you car in the rain, or at least as much rain as we get on the west coast? I use the AWD drive system lots, and the car would struggle to put the power down in marginal conditions with two wheel drive. I am keeping the AWD intact, it's really makes these cars great in all kinds of weather.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-27-2014, 11:47 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AiRick
Have you thought about going rear wheel drive? Did you ever get that lean problem resolved? I was going out to Thunderhill around June 6th 7th Ill keep a heads up before I dyne there again. I have done it twice there with no problems. We finally have a fellow here in Reno that has a 4WD dyne. I have posted this video before but I will put it out again.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu9FSuSdupA&feature=plcp
The guy in the vid looks like a hillbilly, there's alot them up there.

Quick Reply: Dyno might have ruined my visc. coupl.