Sponsored by:

1999 996

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 09:19 AM
bkuckie
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 996

how do i get the distance to empty on the dash under the mph to go to the outside tempurature
Old 09-30-2017, 09:31 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A lever to the left of your steering wheel will do it plus other functions.(not your turn signal lever)
Old 09-30-2017, 09:36 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

The lower left hand lever will toggle through the OBC parameters/functions by pushing up or pulling down. Pull toward you to clear variable parameters (mpg for instance)
Old 09-30-2017, 02:34 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 330 Posts

Some 99-00's don't have it available, the OBC needs to be activated with a Porsche scan tool, then if you don't have the additional stalk (assuming not), you can either buy the stalk and wire it to the gauge cluster, or you can use two of your blank buttons next to the climate control and wire those directly to the gauge cluster and cycle that way. Still needs to be activated regardless. If you have it activated without, it will show outside temperature, so you'll need buttons or a stalk to scroll through the OBC options.

I chose using two of the blank buttons because 1, it was easier, and 2, I like the addition of usable buttons next to the climate control.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:46 PM
dupemaster
6th Gear

Hmm... so mine shows the temp but has no stalk. Maybe I need to play with the blank buttons and see if they do anything.

Newb question, but is there a tech post on how to wire it in if it's not been done?

1500 miles I've driven and haven't even figured out how to program the radio!
Old 09-30-2017, 02:52 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by dupemaster
Hmm... so mine shows the temp but has no stalk. Maybe I need to play with the blank buttons and see if they do anything.

Newb question, but is there a tech post on how to wire it in if it's not been done?

If you're shows temp but no third stalk then it's likely activated. Empty buttons are usually next to the climate which is closest to wire to the gauge cluster, if there's blanks next to that it's probably not wired. For the most part it's pretty simple, but getting the connectors off the cluster were kind of a pain to disconnect it so you can wire.

There are writeups, and it's fairly simple. Two wires to each button, then depending on model you have to plug male connects into the back of the cluster in specific slots to function properly.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:11 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dupemaster

This post has some links to DIY's to wire the On Board Computer. It requires removing the instrument cluster (not to hard), and making or buying a wiring harness.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...m-buttons.html
Old 10-14-2017, 02:48 PM
Liceman
Instructor

I accidentally discovered that if you disconnect the battery, then reconnect, the displayed information reverts back to outside temperature, instead of countdown to empty. Mine does not have the OBC stalk either.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:49 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My 2cents

I have a "theory" as to why some 996s have an OBC lever (left hand side) and some do not.

My 996 Mk I's COA shows "On Board Computer" was ordered as an option, and it has the "OBC Lever".

So my theory is All 996s have the OBC, but only those that were ordered with that option have the OBC lever. Just a thought.....Porsche ALWAYS charges for options, sometimes a lot!

relinuca
Old 10-16-2017, 09:34 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by relinuca
I have a "theory" as to why some 996s have an OBC lever (left hand side) and some do not.

My 996 Mk I's COA shows "On Board Computer" was ordered as an option, and it has the "OBC Lever".

So my theory is All 996s have the OBC, but only those that were ordered with that option have the OBC lever. Just a thought.....Porsche ALWAYS charges for options, sometimes a lot!

relinuca
This is more than a theory. It's true.

Early 996's had the OBC as an option. If the option was not purchased, the OBC is still there, just disabled. It can be enabled by a PIWIS or Durametric. The control for it can be added by buying the fourth stalk, or hacking a button to toggle the options. (see links above).

Later 996's had the OBC as a standard feature.

Quick Reply: 1999 996