Received 641 Likes on 400 Posts

Your Dad George is nice.
The following users liked this post:
amargari (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 02:33 AM
SealG996
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

From Australia I did the LN 3.4 to 3.8 electively and the LN deluxe kit. The rest is stock The engine purrs, with a mild growl via the top gear mild exhaust.

Facebook Post
Brandon G Clarke offers the UK Hartech solutions. These are Rolls Royce level engineering and I suspect prices from Oklahoma.

I'm very satisfied with going up in displacement with LN's long track record and great supply. .
Old 02-03-2023, 09:14 AM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I apologize in advance if this question was answered in the past.
when going with a larger displacement does it require any modifications to the heads?
I assume at least different head gasket, but is that only it?
Old 02-03-2023, 10:01 AM
BRS-LN
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 365 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by meirschwartz
when going with a larger displacement does it require any modifications to the heads?
The larger bore size really makes these 4 valve heads very happy. While head work is not required for a happy engine, proper head work can give huge gains without any losses of manners. What makes these engines next level is nailing the combination of displacement increase, head work, compression ratio, and cam timing alterations. Just going to a bore size increase will work fine, but you'll leave quite a bit on the table and never know it.
meirschwartz (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 11:13 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BRS-LN
The larger bore size really makes these 4 valve heads very happy. While head work is not required for a happy engine, proper head work can give huge gains without any losses of manners. What makes these engines next level is nailing the combination of displacement increase, head work, compression ratio, and cam timing alterations. Just going to a bore size increase will work fine, but you'll leave quite a bit on the table and never know it.
Cam timing, I assume you mean changing the computer program for a different cam timing activation and duration? Because static cam timing at assembly is not changed if you use the factory method. I remember one of the selling points of LNE larger bore is that it "does not require software changes." Nothing ever was said at time of sale that "you would be leaving quite a bit on the table..."
Old 02-03-2023, 11:43 AM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Yelcab and great info from Charles, I have a highly regarded local Porsche shop I'm planning to have do the things beyond my capabilities. One one the reasons I decided to rebuild the engine on my '88 was that a HUGE amount of the work is very doable IF you are reasonably competent, comfortable with a wretch and truly enjoy the process/work. On the other hand, some things take highly specialized equipment or skills. The trick is knowing the difference. I need projects like this...my wife only lets me in the house so many hours a week.
GC996 (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 12:04 PM
BRS-LN
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 365 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by yelcab
Cam timing, I assume you mean changing the computer program for a different cam timing activation and duration? Because static cam timing at assembly is not changed if you use the factory method. I remember one of the selling points of LNE larger bore is that it "does not require software changes." Nothing ever was said at time of sale that "you would be leaving quite a bit on the table..."
I was referring to mechanical camshaft timing alterations. FSI engines (as an example) do not utilize factory camshaft timing procedures in most cases. This is one way that much different results are created between FSI engines, and what may be a confusingly similar engine of the same displacement built by another builder. Factory camshaft timing tools are not generally used with cam timing procedures with FSI engines except to baseline the procedures from a TDC overlap setting.

I was not referring to cam timing changes in regard to software manipulation.

Last edited by BRS-LN; 02-03-2023 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-03-2023, 02:37 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BRS-LN
I was referring to mechanical camshaft timing alterations. FSI engines (as an example) do not utilize factory camshaft timing procedures in most cases. This is one way that much different results are created between FSI engines, and what may be a confusingly similar engine of the same displacement built by another builder. Factory camshaft timing tools are not generally used with cam timing procedures with FSI engines except to baseline the procedures from a TDC overlap setting.

I was not referring to cam timing changes in regard to software manipulation.
Interesting. I bet that is not common knowledge and the information/procedure for the altered cam timing specs are not for public consumption.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:25 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,077 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by meirschwartz
We had custom head gaskets made up for the larger bore sizes and also have them in different thicknesses to accommodate variations in deck heights (and how much ends up needing to be taken off the block when resurfacing).

Another question often asked is if you need to do custom tuning to the ECU - as long as all your sensors are in good shape (MAF, primary o2) the ECU will adapt.

Quick Reply: Cylinder Scoring Repair cost?