Sponsored by:

Cracked Head vs. Cracked Block

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 10:14 AM
Jaycote
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Cracked Head vs. Cracked Block

A few of you may be familiar with my current situation....I currently have my car in the shop after experiencing some issues and it turns out that my car is leaking coolant into Cylinder 1. My mechanic said that it is most likely a cracked cylinder head, but would not know for certain until he removes engine and inspects further. While discussing options, he mentioned the cost of a new head, costs of a used engine, and also the costs of a new block.

I have two questions about this...

1.) My car was throwing a check engine code 20 miles after I bought it, and I was never able to clear it, even after replacing plugs/coils. The code was for Cylinder 1 misfire, every time I checked it with my scanner (about 20 times). However, twice it came back showing 5 different cylinder misfire codes, (Cylinders 1,2,3 and I believe 5, and also the random cylinder misfire code). Would this indicate that I could potentially have a problem in my other cylinders also, or were those codes a result of Cylinder 1 putting the rest into whack?

2.) It seems like a cracked cylinder head could be a good alternative to either get fixed, or purchase a rebuilt head, and fix it that way, for less than the cost of a used engine. However, my mechanic also mentioned the possibility that it could be something with the block. How would someone diagnose with 100% certainty whether I have an issue with the head, or the block? And, if it is the block, is there any less costly repair/replacement than the cost of purchasing an entire used engine?

Thanks guys, you're all helping me out a ton lately!
Old 01-22-2018, 12:57 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

You need to pull that motor and start the process (pull the heads) to be 100% sure. Nobody can give you a guaranteed diagnoses on the internet.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:23 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

If your liner was cracked then you would get combustion gasses being forced into the coolant system creating pressure.

If your cylinder head is cracked in the usual place I *believe* you will get intermix of some kind
Old 01-22-2018, 11:06 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

If you pull the heads, be sure to measure the cylinders for ovaling.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:48 AM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaycote
A few of you may be familiar with my current situation....I currently have my car in the shop after experiencing some issues and it turns out that my car is leaking coolant into Cylinder 1. My mechanic said that it is most likely a cracked cylinder head, but would not know for certain until he removes engine and inspects further. While discussing options, he mentioned the cost of a new head, costs of a used engine, and also the costs of a new block.

I have two questions about this...

1.) My car was throwing a check engine code 20 miles after I bought it, and I was never able to clear it, even after replacing plugs/coils. The code was for Cylinder 1 misfire, every time I checked it with my scanner (about 20 times). However, twice it came back showing 5 different cylinder misfire codes, (Cylinders 1,2,3 and I believe 5, and also the random cylinder misfire code). Would this indicate that I could potentially have a problem in my other cylinders also, or were those codes a result of Cylinder 1 putting the rest into whack?

2.) It seems like a cracked cylinder head could be a good alternative to either get fixed, or purchase a rebuilt head, and fix it that way, for less than the cost of a used engine. However, my mechanic also mentioned the possibility that it could be something with the block. How would someone diagnose with 100% certainty whether I have an issue with the head, or the block? And, if it is the block, is there any less costly repair/replacement than the cost of purchasing an entire used engine?

Thanks guys, you're all helping me out a ton lately!
What year 996? How many miles on the engine ?
Old 01-23-2018, 08:36 AM
Jaycote
Instructor

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
What year 996? How many miles on the engine ?

It's a 2000 and has 90K miles
Old 01-23-2018, 02:08 PM
_OP_
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Sir, I'm having a similar problem, but I think my problem is isolated to the water pump. However, when I took it to autozone, the nice man hooked the car up to one of those fancy scanners and said it was showing misfires. I didn't think to ask him for any codes. He explained he couldn't help with Porsches. I'm curious, if your problem is a crack in the head, what would that cost to repair? I haven't noticed any so called "intermix", but I have a leak under the car. Thank you kindly.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:21 PM
Jaycote
Instructor

Originally Posted by _OP_
Hello Sir, I'm having a similar problem, but I think my problem is isolated to the water pump. However, when I took it to autozone, the nice man hooked the car up to one of those fancy scanners and said it was showing misfires. I didn't think to ask him for any codes. He explained he couldn't help with Porsches. I'm curious, if your problem is a crack in the head, what would that cost to repair? I haven't noticed any so called "intermix", but I have a leak under the car. Thank you kindly.

A new head is $3K. Add the cost of labor to remove/install engine, diagnose the problem, all necessary parts and related items, you're looking at a hefty bill! If it's the block, which I found out is my problem, you need a new engine. I'm looking at a $10K+ bill, on a car i drove for less than 500 miles. Be careful and good luck!
Old 01-23-2018, 05:05 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

OP is not real!
Old 01-23-2018, 05:30 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

... you're looking at a hefty bill! If it's the block, which I found out is my problem, you need a new engine.
Dang, Jaycote! It's confirmed by your mechanic?
Old 01-23-2018, 05:36 PM
Jaycote
Instructor

Originally Posted by 808Bill
OP is not real!
I believe OP is actually the guy who sold me the car, trolling the entire situation. This Porsche journey has been an interesting one, for sure!
Old 01-23-2018, 05:38 PM
Jaycote
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
Dang, Jaycote! It's confirmed by your mechanic?
Yes, unfortunately. In related news, anyone know if a **** engine is worth anything? Can I get any money for it?
Old 01-23-2018, 05:57 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe OP is actually the guy who sold me the car, trolling the entire situation. This Porsche journey has been an interesting one, for sure!
say it aint so.......his lil following beat up on KK all that time with the nigerian war hero lawyer in charge
Old 01-24-2018, 09:12 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

No, OP is B3Freak, and has been banned. Read about it here.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post14750062
Old 01-24-2018, 09:24 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

jesus christ, that's pretty lame.

Quick Reply: Cracked Head vs. Cracked Block