Sponsored by:

No low beams, high beams only when pulled

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 01:55 AM
NOTA550
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No low beams, high beams only when pulled

My 2000 C2 Cabriolet has lost its low beams and the high beams only come on when the lever is pulled, not when pushed. Blue high beam dash light functions the same, only comes on when pulled. I swapped in good H7 bulbs, no luck. Turn signals, parking lights and driving light seem to be fine. I don't see any corrosion on the terminals. Getting just under 12v at some of the terminals. I did a search on this forum, found some similar problems and the suggestions included a new headlight switch but no one ever posted if this fixed the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:41 AM
NOTA550
5th Gear

Found a post about a similar problem on another forum, new headlight switch fixed the problem. Apparently they are a bit problematic. Just ordered one. I'll post the repair results.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:58 AM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

My car had this exact issue when I had the PPI performed and they noted that the problem was fixed with a new fuse. Did you check the fuse box before you ordered the new switch?
Old 01-31-2018, 09:17 AM
2002C2
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Headlight switch

somewhere on here is a thread for cleaning the switch. I had the same problem about a year ago and though it looked pristine, the low beams would not come on. Squirting it full of contact cleaner and working the switch returned it to normal. Easy to do in less than 30 minutes and no problem since then.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:34 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think those are two separate problems. The high beam one may well be the combination switch (levers around the steering wheel) because the dash rotary switch didn't fix that for mine.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:23 PM
NOTA550
5th Gear

Success! New switch fixed everything. Thanks for the comments and ideas. I did check the fuses, all good. Since these switches are such a problem (and I had already ordered it), I opted not to go with the cleaning idea. Replacing the headlight switch isn't too bad of a job, I followed the Bentley manual. You do need a long, slender T20 driver to get the screw that is behind the switch as a socket mounted one is too thick. My 24mm socket is AWOL but a 25 mm worked on the switch nut. A bit of clean up of gook from old factory electrical tape and decayed foam. But good as new, low beams work, high beams and dash indicator come on when the stalk switch is pushed forward, driving lights go out with the high beams engaged. Switch should be good for another 18 years.

I usually get my parts from Pelican, but they wanted $172. Found a seller on eBay called PartsContainer, about 2000 different OEM parts for the 996, switch was $129.

Quick Reply: No low beams, high beams only when pulled