Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 c2 as a street car (w/ infrequent track duty)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 10:37 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up a '996 996 C2 for mostly street but some track duty. I have a dedicated race car but trailering it to the track is a pain and it expensive to run so I wanted something just to get out for a DE here and there and also enjoy on the weekends, So much less expensive than a similar 996TT or GT3... Fully prepped and refreshed with new Bilstein B8 struts, mounts, brakes, fluids, major service with coils, LN oil pan, water pump, coolant tank, oil sep, trans rebuild, clutch/flywheel/IMS, third radiator, GT3 brake ducts, wheel bearings, sway bar links, engine and trans mounts, and some other repairs along with new super sports. It feels like a new car ready to rock at 100k miles. Had a blast at the track last weekend, drove it 450 miles home, and just finished cleaning it up for cars and coffee and a cruise this weekend. There is no substitute...
Old 02-16-2018, 11:32 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

That is awesome. They are so much fun! What tires are you running?
Old 02-16-2018, 11:36 PM
eric523
Pro

Originally Posted by Slakker
That is awesome. They are so much fun! What tires are you running?
If you’re asking me, Michelin Super sports in 245/35/18 and 285/35/18 on 9’s and 11’s in gt3 cup spec.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:44 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Yesterday I did a bit of paint correction on mine. I've had mine for two full weeks now? Been able to thrash it a couple times on back roads. I'm just blown away by the lack of weight on this thing. My 996TT and my GT3 both felt so much heavier, and less lively. I really loved the 996Turbo, but it was hugely expensive to track and a greater risk to the pocketbook. I bought mine to DD, but It'll definitely see some track time. I'll buy the oil pan upgrade and a few other bits (GT3 control arms), maybe ditch the 19 inch wheels, but otherwise, I'm very happy with this little car.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:18 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by eric523

If you’re asking me, Michelin Super sports in 245/35/18 and 285/35/18 on 9’s and 11’s in gt3 cup spec.
Nice. You might try a set of RE-71Rs if you get a chance.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:13 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 993 Posts

I just picked up a '996 996 C2 for mostly street but some track duty. I have a dedicated race car but trailering it to the track is a pain and it expensive to run so I wanted something just to get out for a DE here and there and also enjoy on the weekends, So much less expensive than a similar 996TT or GT3... Fully prepped and refreshed with new Bilstein B8 struts, mounts, brakes, fluids, major service with coils, LN oil pan, water pump, coolant tank, oil sep, trans rebuild, clutch/flywheel/IMS, third radiator, GT3 brake ducts, wheel bearings, sway bar links, engine and trans mounts, and some other repairs along with new super sports. It feels like a new car ready to rock at 100k miles. Had a blast at the track last weekend, drove it 450 miles home, and just finished cleaning it up for cars and coffee and a cruise this weekend. There is no substitute...
Now that’s a real setup! Honestly, for my car, the only things I would really want for occasional tracking would be that 3rd radiator, a lower temp t-stat, and a fix for the oil starvation issues.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:51 PM
eric523
Pro

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Now that’s a real setup! Honestly, for my car, the only things I would really want for occasional tracking would be that 3rd radiator, a lower temp t-stat, and a fix for the oil starvation issues.

That was pretty much the goal but a lot of maintenance and repairs came up along the way on this 100k mile example. I dove in a took care of all of them at once instead of replacing as they fail so I can enjoy the long drives and track events without as much worry. Previous owner left me plenty of things to do but the price was right and I knew about most of them going into the deal... OK, and I got carried away with the wheels.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:56 PM
apex32
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting, you and I are basically in search of the same exact thing. Well, it appears you have found it already - and I will just benefit from your experience. I have decided to go with the 996 C2 over the 996TT and feel really good about it. I am not sure when I will pull the trigger, but I will take my time and find the right car at the right time.

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Yesterday I did a bit of paint correction on mine. I've had mine for two full weeks now? Been able to thrash it a couple times on back roads. I'm just blown away by the lack of weight on this thing. My 996TT and my GT3 both felt so much heavier, and less lively. I really loved the 996Turbo, but it was hugely expensive to track and a greater risk to the pocketbook. I bought mine to DD, but It'll definitely see some track time. I'll buy the oil pan upgrade and a few other bits (GT3 control arms), maybe ditch the 19 inch wheels, but otherwise, I'm very happy with this little car.

The car looks great! I am not a big fan of silver anything but your car wears it very well! I think I will also be responsive to the lack of weight, and to be honest, I really don't need the power of the 996TT.. although it is tempting. I'll stay out of trouble easier with the c2
Old 02-21-2018, 01:58 PM
eric523
Pro

Originally Posted by Slakker

Nice. You might try a set of RE-71Rs if you get a chance.
Thanks, I've heard they are the hot 200tw tire right now. If I was more track focused with this car, that would have likely been the best choice for absolute best lap times at 200tw+. I ran the RE11's when they came out years ago and loved them for a trackable street tire. Really strong outer shoulder that would extend the usable life on the camber challenged cars compared to the michelins.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:00 PM
eric523
Pro

Originally Posted by apex32
Thanks for posting, you and I are basically in search of the same exact thing. Well, it appears you have found it already - and I will just benefit from your experience. I have decided to go with the 996 C2 over the 996TT and feel really good about it. I am not sure when I will pull the trigger, but I will take my time and find the right car at the right time.
I was REALLY close to trading this one in towards a local TT but in the end I couldn't justify double the cost for one that would basically be doing the same thing for me.

Quick Reply: 996 c2 as a street car (w/ infrequent track duty)