Sponsored by:

Expansion tank cracked

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 11:39 AM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Warehouse33.net
Here's the link to the German tank, usually when it's branded "GERMAN" it's a genuine part with the Porsche logo sanded off.
https://www.warehouse33auto.com/GERM...996-106-147-56

-Jason
Getting ready to start collecting parts and have a couple shopping carts saved on your store. I thought there was no OEM style replacement for the Porsche coolant tank. Glad I stumbled upon this. Shame its out of stock currently lol
Old 04-21-2019, 01:31 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DGI
Getting ready to start collecting parts and have a couple shopping carts saved on your store. I thought there was no OEM style replacement for the Porsche coolant tank. Glad I stumbled upon this. Shame its out of stock currently lol
Consider yourself lucky. I've seen many cases (online) these non-genuine tanks are problems. Usually start leaking or the threads will be stripped very soon.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:58 PM
DGI
Pro

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Consider yourself lucky. I've seen many cases (online) these non-genuine tanks are problems. Usually start leaking or the threads will be stripped very soon.
Thats what I've seen also but I'm assuming Warehouse33 knows a thing or two about 996 parts. Would be nice to save $400+ if possible.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:05 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

I have nothing against warehouse33 and I've given you my reco. You have all the info to make your decision.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:32 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by DGI
Thats what I've seen also but I'm assuming Warehouse33 knows a thing or two about 996 parts. Would be nice to save $400+ if possible.
Keep us posted and let us know how it works out...Advice from someone like Ashai should be taken seriously!
Old 04-21-2019, 05:31 PM
MajicB
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I have recently joined the 996 club but had to do this job when I purchased mine. Never posted, but thought I'd share my experience. '99 C4 coupe.

I went aftermarket. I followed the Pelican parts write up exactly and it was tough but I got er done. Then continuous leaks from cap. Purchased a new porsche cap, still leaked. "996 panic" set in, all sorts of bad thoughts - surely my engine is blown. I returned it and replaced it with another aftermarket tank, sure enough the threads on the first aftermarket tank were bad and would not hold pressure.

So, I had to do this PIA job twice. The second tank seems fine but in hindsight I would have just got the porsche tank initially. The second time I actually did the entire job in just under 2 hours - first time took me all day.

Just my .02. I'm an expert coolant tank replacer now - I guess I got that going for me.

By the way, this is a great forum, I have learned SO much from the owners here through my search and now my 911 journey. So glad I found it, and thanks to all the regular posters.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:34 PM
Einsteiger
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

Yep....Rennlist, when taken along with two aspirin or Advil, will aleviate most 996 anxiety.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:15 PM
DGI
Pro

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Keep us posted and let us know how it works out...Advice from someone like Ashai should be taken seriously!
my gut also tells me to listen to Ashai
Old 04-21-2019, 08:33 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by MajicB
I have recently joined the 996 club but had to do this job when I purchased mine. Never posted, but thought I'd share my experience. '99 C4 coupe.

I went aftermarket. I followed the Pelican parts write up exactly and it was tough but I got er done. Then continuous leaks from cap. Purchased a new porsche cap, still leaked. "996 panic" set in, all sorts of bad thoughts - surely my engine is blown. I returned it and replaced it with another aftermarket tank, sure enough the threads on the first aftermarket tank were bad and would not hold pressure.

So, I had to do this PIA job twice. The second tank seems fine but in hindsight I would have just got the porsche tank initially. The second time I actually did the entire job in just under 2 hours - first time took me all day.

Just my .02. I'm an expert coolant tank replacer now - I guess I got that going for me.

By the way, this is a great forum, I have learned SO much from the owners here through my search and now my 911 journey. So glad I found it, and thanks to all the regular posters.
Welcome to the madness as they say! hahaha I just replaced my expansion tank and ordered it from Porsche. I didn't want to have to turn around and do it any in a few months. It's tempting to save a little money, but when it comes to a part like the expansion tanks, it's not something I'd recommend going aftermarket. Too many horror stories about them leaking.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:16 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought an OEM tank from Pelican - and two years later, it's leaking again.

Sonnenporscheoemparts.com has the real Porsche tank for $480 shipped. Best price for the 996.1 tank I've seen.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:23 PM
mrdeezy
Banned

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

man, I want to sell my car before stuff starts breaking ��
Old 04-22-2019, 03:51 AM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DGI
my gut also tells me to listen to Ashai
He helped me track down a few issues in the past. Definitely knows his stuff. Thanks again!
Old 04-22-2019, 12:39 PM
details
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Does anyone know if the 997 expansion tank will fit in a 996? Given the cost difference for the genuine Porsche part, it might be worth exploring.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:41 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ThatSalesGuy
He helped me track down a few issues in the past. Definitely knows his stuff. Thanks again!
Happy to help

I just hate seeing people spending hrs installing a non-genuine tank just to find out it leaks again in a few months. The MkI tank is expensive but seems there are no good alternatives for now.
Unless you ENJOY replacing the tank, you're much better off going with a genuine tank to avoid a redo.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:30 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Welcome to the madness as they say! hahaha I just replaced my expansion tank and ordered it from Porsche. I didn't want to have to turn around and do it any in a few months. It's tempting to save a little money, but when it comes to a part like the expansion tanks, it's not something I'd recommend going aftermarket. Too many horror stories about them leaking.
I agree and almost always go with genuine Porsche parts, but it's not a little money in this case. For MK-I cars the Porsche tanks are in the $500-$600+ range. I installed the German tank from Warehouse33 last year and it appears to be the same quality as the OE tank. I haven't had any issues with it (knock on wood). I don't know why some MK-I parts are 4 times the price of MK-II parts, but they are. Check out the price difference when it comes to injectors. Crazy.

Quick Reply: Expansion tank cracked